• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/15/1960

Do you think that Christians are allowed to invest whether it be the stock market or in investment grade coins?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,521
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Sure!

Ā I do think motivation is key not the act itself. God gave example of what three servants did with theĀ assets of their master tended to their care. The masterĀ did not bless theĀ one that did nothing Ā but bury what he had been given.

Now that can be taken literally as pertaining to liquid assets and it can also be applied to the eternal asset of life eternal with God as we shareĀ of the gospel of Jesus.

As to commonĀ stock on the open market I am not a fan of buying any of it ( I was sure my WCOM would just continue to go up- Not!). And I am not a fan Ā of investment grade coinage, thatĀ is mostly theĀ seeking of theĀ greater fool than I;Ā thinking I can buy at retail and then later sell at higher than today's retail price. Ā Not great odds there. Might as well invest in classic cars and have some fun with them as to buy and hoard coins- just my opinion.

Ā I do like real estate and IĀ do like business investment. - Again just personal choices. To each his own as God leads them.

Ā 

ps -I do love theĀ gold sales adsĀ on tv- To me they say: Ā hey there areĀ you in luck today! I have this huge stock of gold thatĀ holds it's value and just goeaĀ up and up, and I am willing to share some of it with you in exchange for some of your greenback US currency cash that just goes down in value year after year. YeahĀ sure, you want me to be sound in gold, and you to have depreciating cash eh? SuchĀ a deal, Ā good fortune shines upon me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

I got all invested IN THE LORD .Ā Ā Ā  come what ever may I got all hope .Ā Ā Ā Ā  Oh let the LORD be praised and every hand raised .

I got treasure that fails not .Ā Ā Ā Ā  His name is JESUS CHRIST and He is all I do need .Ā Ā Ā Ā  Put the hands up and PRAISE the LORD and let everyone praise the LORD .

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

7 hours ago, Berean said:

Do you think that Christians are allowed to invest whether it be the stock market or in investment grade coins?

Ā 

I have quite a bit invested myself, so sure.Ā  I think though, that it is important for people to understand the risk involved.Ā  It reminds me of something my dad taught me in my youth.Ā  If you are not willing to lose money, don't lend it, because you may not get it back.Ā  My investments are not for my benefit, the idea is to leave something behind for my daughter and grandsons, so when I am gone, I can still be of assistance.

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Think back to the parable where 3 workers were given gold coins, and the master rewarded those who made more money and punished the one who buried it.

I think investing your money in some way is wise. I have some invested in the stock market...I also have some invested in firearms.Ā 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,521
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Almost all aged rely on theĀ efforts of someone else for the condition of their flesh. InĀ America it is by way of Social Security retirement benefits that requireĀ continuous new funding by those younger that are working for a wage. If and when Social Security fails to be funded sufficiently to meet Ā theĀ needĀ most of America's aged ones will be quite destitute, many that have Ā personal investments and savings will find their private funds are not sufficient alone to maintain their daily well being.

Rest homes, congregate living spaces, home care can wipeĀ out hundreds of thousands of dollars saving per year. There comes a point in time where sustaining life of a shell that once was a vibrant individual makes little sense, for the worst day of theĀ flesh is theĀ best day for theĀ spirit and soul.

Investment for tomorrow is not found in hoarding today, it may be somewhat secure in gaining passive income, but thatĀ generally requires trusting in someone else to find it to their advantage to work other peoples assets and not just "steal" them away.

Stock markets boom and crash, real estate commercial industrial and residential Ā booms and busts, even gold and silver plus all commodities have their ups and downs. Digital currency threatens government backed coinage and yet is Ā nearly a fiction itself, a mere speculation that there will be a greater fool to come that will pay more forĀ less that one did them self.

Hope that is certain is not found in treasures of this world. It is found only in what is put up in heaven forĀ eternity to come by bond service to God in the name of Jesus. There will be hard times for rich andĀ poor alike as theĀ flesh rots off theĀ bone of each much alike, regardless of one's bank accounts andĀ earthly holdings.Ā 

Real enrichmentĀ is for the spirit and soul. Ā The flesh and it'sĀ Ā pride and joys are a temporary concern. Ā It isĀ prudent to make the best Ā of what each day brings, but not to worry excessively about tomorrow. Tomorrow will indeed bring Ā forth it's own worries for that day amongst theĀ thistles.

Never brag about what is laid up on earth for tomorrow. Doing so just alerts theĀ thieves of what they have so far missed stealing, and encourages them Ā to scheme ever harder to gain what is not theirs. Many Ā of them have high educational degrees, many are investment bankers, investment counselors, stewards of retirement funds, Ā union stewards, company CFO's. Life in this flesh is never so secure that one can brag, least it shouldn't be for then there is no need of God in that person's life. Having a Ā little concern for the day at handĀ puts a little edge into theĀ day to be honed,Ā keeping the dullness and the rust at bay, giving impetus to doing all that is done this good day Ā forĀ the glory of God.

Ā 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Yes, I myself have three index funds (500 index fund, mid-cap value index fund, and small-cap value index fund). If you want to make a lot of money for retirement, index funds are the way to go. You can earn a steady, consistent 11% to 12% a year with them.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

This is just my personal opinion:

I would want to invest my money in a way that benefits someone (other than me). If you put money in a bank or savings account, the bank then loans that money out to someone who needs it. If you invest in stocks and shares, your money is (in theory, at least) beingĀ used by the company. So those are 'good' ways to invest. But if you buy coins, they just sit in a safe and do nothing. So I wouldn't invest in coins.