Question

Hi.

I've been seeking the Lord for my Salvation and I come across the responsibility of man as mentioned in the Bible.

So, I  wanted to ask about the Responsibility of man and the Grace of God, Sovereignty of God.

The Bible in different places commands us to do something, or rather, to change.
For example,

In 1 Peter 5:6, 
"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time."

James 4:10
"Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up"

Matthew 23:12
"And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Ezekiel 18:31
"Cast away from you all the transgressions that you have committed, and make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! Why will you die, O house of Israel?"

2 Chronicles 7:14
"if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

And GOD, throughout the old testament, keeps telling Israel and even other nations also at times like- Nineveh (Jonah), through Prophets, etc  to Repent and turn to HIM.
And in the New Testament, we are told to Repent and Believe.

These verses seem to put it up, like humbling oneself or having a new heart and a new spirit, to Repent, as human responsibility to do what's been asked of us to do.
And so it implies also that we naturally have the ability to do what's been asked of us to do and  that it's possible for us to do it without God's help, just by our will? Because if we can't', then why would He ask that of us?

But the Bible also puts things the other way, which seems opposite, that we can do these things only by God's Intervention/ Grace, power:

Acts 16:14
".....The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul"

Luke 24:45
"Then He[Jesus] opened their minds to understand the Scriptures"

Acts 18:26-40, The case of the Ethiopian Eunuch

Ezekiel 11:19 (cf. Ezekiel 36:26, Hebrews 8:10, Jeremiah 32:33)
"And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh"

In Daniel 4, God humbles Nebuchadnezzar, after which he praises God, for doing so and humbling him.

So, what should we do when we come across such commands in the Bible?

Should we wait for God to do something that we can't or we don't have the ability (will) to unless God intervenes in some way, or,
should we do what we are commanded to (to Repent, be Humble, change our hearts and minds) assuming that have the ability(the will)?
It is said that we have the ability and faculties for dong what we are commanded to do, that if we 'will', we can do it, but that the problem is that we can't Truly 'will' without the work, influence of God in our heart.

Spurgeon says about this :
"The question is, are men ever found naturally willing to submit to the humbling terms of the gospel of Christ? We declare, upon Scriptural authority, that the human will is so desperately set on mischief, so depraved, and so inclined to everything that is evil, and so disinclined to everything that is good, that without the powerful. supernatural, irresistible influence of the Holy Spirit, no human will ever be constrained towards Christ".

If this is True, then,
How should we then carry out our Responsibility ?

1 answer to this question

God does the enabling according to scripture, this is absolutely true.

John 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

When a person is drawn to God, it is at that point they must humble themselves and cry out to Him for salvation.  For some this happens quickly, others are more obstinate.  Whether one reaches rock bottom before they humble themselves or not is entirely up to them, the Lord is patient.

God bless

• Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By SurrenderedWife
      There are so many lessons I learned along my journey with God, that I thought I'd share my full testimony in case some parts speak more to some than others.

I was raised in an atheist family (in New Zealand), suffering through bullying within and outside of home. I would have killed myself if not for an online friend - only person who I felt had loved me. I never heard the gospel until I was 21, and would have spent an eternity in hell!  I was seeking my own gain (to network with a singer), when she asked me to meet her at church (in Japan where only 1% are Christian! What are the odds?) I heard the gospel, and moved to tears, without questioning accepted God's gift of salvation. That was 10 years ago.
      When I shared the good news with my boyfriend and mum (those who were my greatest support), they quickly talked me out of it. I never gave up seeking the meaning in life, and explored Hare Krishnas and Falun Gong. Believing that truth leads to meaningful life, I questioned inconsistencies I saw there and was met with frightening hostility! I did stay with astrology and one day suddenly became very sick - almost dying of gallstones - something unheard of in a health-conscious female of that age. I didn't know God, but I remember swearing at the unjust  universal powers that be.
      Through another coincidence, I befriended a Jehovah's Witness. Oddly he showed me Zeitgeist, while keeping his faith to himself so as not to impose. I didn't find out about his beliefs until years later (after surgery) when I asked him about it. I asked lots of questions and was astounded by the beauty and profundity of the Bible, particularly 1 Corinthians 13. I prayed heartily, had a premonition followed by an audible voice, and this is when I made my full-blown repentance.
      At the time, my atheist boyfriend and I were designing a game campaign involving doctrinal differences such as if God is one or Triune, whether to keep the Sabbath etc. I thus looked into these issues before attending a church, and went down a loooong rabbit hole of truth-seeking (on my own!). After about a month of research, I left him after he refused to accept Jesus. I joined a Seventh Day Baptist church (not having had any counsel from experienced Christians) and only escalated into trying to keep ALL the commandments (OT included) from there. Too bad I hadn't come across dispensationalism to realise what applies to whom and when!

I stayed with the family of a little Messianic Judaism cult where we were led by an 'Apostle' and spent days delving into the minutia of headcoverings, beards and the true name of God. Unsurprisingly, there was a lack in areas of submission in families and love between brethren. When I was continually slandered, I brought it up to the sister, then to two witnesses, then congregation and then in her embarrassment she jumped out saying she will "kill me" and threw me out of her house. I had no fear. I had recently quit a job because I couldn't keep the solar-lunar Sabbaths, and the conviction of my heart was that I would be ready to die for the Lord. Instead, I (on my own again) questioned and questioned this and that until my research led me all the way into atheism and I denied our Lord the second time.

I tried to get back with my first boyfriend, but he insisted our relationship be secret and strictly sexual. I turned him down and found myself another humanitarian intellectual. This relationship too was very rocky - we had our fun times but I wanted him to get his act together and make something of himself and he bristled at my controlling behaviour.
      God wasn't done with me yet though, and about 3 years ago I again came around to Christianity after digging around in conspiracies. I was quick to drop all the sin in my life, including fornication, and this angered my boyfriend. He debated me for hours each day, and I was amazed that I was able to pull out strong, logical apologetics out of thin air. Shaken by the strength of my faith, my boyfriend said goodbye to his spirit guide (who came to him suddenly in a meditation long ago), and prayed and fasted for 7 days to 'see God'. Alas, he said he didn't have the experience. The Holy Spirit was working a miracle through me, I thought, until eventually he talked me out of the faith and I denied our Lord for the third time. Ah, the spirit of Peter that I am! ;o;
      The Lord did bless our efforts though as my boyfriend ended up dropping a lot of degeneracy, but it was hard for me to trust it being genuine and trust issues continued to rip us apart. Oddly enough, because of the same life goals (homeschooling kids on a homestead and political activism to help liberate people from oppressors), and wanting kids to have stability, we ended up exchanging vows before God. At the time, we were learning about the benefits of following Christian morals and were considering ourselves 'culturally Christian', while keeping many new age practices. We joined an angry political group that wouldn't be at all Biblical, and in the pit of my stomach I felt this was a bad plan... 
      While my husband's life was improving mine was continuing to slide - my physical and mental health continued despite finding the 'truth' about nutrition and making everythign from scratch, as well as avoiding chemicals.. and of course LOTS of personal development and increasing meditation. Our relationship too was getting worse despite my tips and tricks. We started our family just before I turned 31, and I miscarried in terrible pain 9 weeks later (no drugs taken so as to keep body healthy). This was followed by a terrible self-move to another city after which something major broke down in the house every day and we were biting each other's heads off from the stress. Our kitten died of toxoplasmosis which she should have NEVER gotten or died of (chance is less than .001%), and I was terrified how I might get infected and ruin our future baby - we fought about litter hygiene daily. Our other cat continued to cause problems until we got them a mate and things got worse. I got pregnant again and miscarried the second time. That was the end of the line for me - life was 99% pain and I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't help myself and no one could help me. In desperation, I cried out for Jesus to save me, telling Him that if this is all a plan to get me back - fine, He can have me!!  That very instant, I was soothed. Somehow I knew everything would be ok from now on, because "everything works for good to those who love God and are called according to His Purpose" Rom 8:28.
      My husband and I now suddenly had very opposed political views (and he considered breaking up with me for a while), and I was sharing my faith with the Godless group, but they didn't really care, increasing my feeling of being a useless human being. I didn't tell my dad, since he just gets angry, disappointed and parrots "religion is the opium of the people". I don't believe in hiding God's lamp under a bushel, and I care about souls, so I talk to everyone else in my circle - ALL non-believers, telling them my testimony and sharing the beautiful gospel of Christ as it was finally being revealed to me. I also couldn't help but mention other amazing facts in conversation that made the Bible real. The people closest to me (husband and mum) say they like me better as a Christian, which amazes me. I was never able to improve myself, but my husband says my temperament has changed. To me that's a miracle.

Still, no one seems to have been moved to accept Jesus, but rather with every word and action that proceeds from them, Satan is planting doubts in MY mind. I want to be used by God for great works, but I feel not used at all. I repent and surrender every day, and study, so I don't know what else I can do to be a useful vessel. 
      Lessons learned:
      -Online friendship can save lives!
      -Killing yourself is a bad idea since something better still awaits you!
      -New believers should quickly find Christian support, while not committing to any church or doctrine too hastily
      -Please don't hide your faith from the people around you - you never know who needs to hear it!
      -If we turn away from God, He being faithful will look for the lost sheep and will either bring it back through love or through chastening. Don't be surprised if you are given up to Satan's torture if that's what it takes for you to stop trusting in idols and repent
      -Be very slow to change your beliefs or commit to something for life - be thorough in research, counsel and prayer, especially in weighty matters such as marriage for life and your eternal life!

Thank you for everyone on this forum who has helped strengthen me with scriptures and prayer.

If you have gone through anything similar and want me to be your support buddy or anything like that please reach out <3

With love in Christ,
      Anna

• By SurrenderedWife
      I was born in an atheist family and got involved with intelligent people poking holes in Christianity and God. I lost my faith 3 times while trying to bring THEM to faith. My social circle currently is all unbelievers (including Jehovah's Witness), and I fear losing my faith again. It has been wearisome to fight spiritual warfare daily on my own.
      The two churches I visited are very worldly, and I didn't see any outreach there to the lost and needy. I've had trouble sleeping for over a week and was too sick for church last week, still sick now. The enemy doesn't want me working for God!

I don't drive, so would you please pray that I meet some people close to where I live that I can see regularly who are on fire for the truth and Jesus just as I am, with whom I can become more and more fruitful for God's kingdom. Please also pray for those I've been ministering to (friends and family), that their eyes are opened and they embrace the saving gift of God. Some of them are such well-meaning people, I'd hate to see them perish. Please pray that I spend more time in prayer and with the Bible (my source of strength in God) as I had been putting it off, distracted by teachings and conversation.
    • By HolyMood
      I made a video about christian celebrities who gave their testimonies.
      Hope it inspires some people and give them the courage to keep in faith.
      You can see it here:
      Now I wanna make a new video and it's not that easy to find some FEMALE celebrities giving their testimonies and talk about their faith. If somebody know some christian female celebrities and maybe has a link to their testimonies/christian speeches/or something like this I'd be VERY thankfull!
      Wish you all a wonderful day and GOD bless you!

• By Behold
      We understand that if someone is kidnapped, and this person belongs to an important, powerful, rich, person, then the kidnappers will want a ransom. (payment)
      A "ransom" is a buying back, of something, or of someone.
      When you became born again, when you were saved, God paid a ransom for you, and this is the Blood of Jesus.
      "you are not your own, you are BOUGHT with a PRICE"....>"You are Christ's and Christ is God's".
      The Blood of Jesus, is the full payment paid for your ransom, that has "blood bought" you back to God from your "lost" , "separated from God by sin", condition.
      When a preacher or teacher uses the term "blood bought", they are referring to the ransom that God paid, ....a literal payment which is the cost of-for your sin debt that you owed God, that is Hell and the Lake of Fire.
      So, the Blood of Jesus paid the PRICE for the eternal judgement due you, so that you would not be eternally damned, and eventually end up in Hell <> Lake of Fire after you died.
      All This is the eternal consequence of the payment that God accepted on your behalf when Christ was offering Himself FOR YOU, bearing your sin, and in fact "Christ became sin".....on the Cross.
      This Blood Atomentment Payment is eternally applied to you, as a free gift, the same instant that you from your heart, "called on the name of Jesus", and "received Christ as your Savior".
      (Justification by Faith) = Alone.
      In the present, after you are born again,  there are 4 main things that you are ransomed from, based on the Blood of Christ being your accepted "payment due" to God for your LIFETIME of sinning and unbelief.

1. You are redeemed (ransomed from- delivered from) your Adamic Nature
      2. You are redeemed (ransomed from-delivered from) Sin's power.
      3. You are redeemed from (ransomed from-delivered from) The Curse of the Law.
      4. You are redeemed (ransomed from-delivered from) The Devil.

Now there are other things that are involved in your ransom that would be counted as part of your redemption :   Becoming an Heir of God and a Joint Heir with Jesus......and also,  health, prosperity, abundant life, prayer's answered, etc.