How to quit nicotine?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I’m a Christian who suffers with nicotine addiction. I’ve been using smokeless tobacco for five years now, and quitting has been difficult, to say the least. In fact, I made up my mind to quit yesterday, and all day yesterday I didn’t use any tobacco. Today things were going smoothly until lunch, at which point I ate a big meal, so afterwards my cravings hit hard. I subsequently relapsed.

Did you ever have an addiction to nicotine, cigarettes or smokeless? How did you manage to quit? Do you have advice for someone who want to quit?

I’m thinking about getting some Xanax from my doctor. Last time I was prescribed this pill, I barely noticed any cravings or withdrawals while I was on it. I only took Xanax for a week, but I was still able to quit nicotine for six weeks until I relapsed (that’s the longest I’ve ever been off of it). However, I won’t be able to see my doctor until next month.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

Carrot celery juice does something to satisfy the acids that are searching for satisfaction in your system. If you don't have a juicer cut up carrots and celery sticks and have them handy anytime you have a craving or better yet eat some before lunch and a few right after. The nicotine is only a small part. It's your body that is in need of the routine of all the crap associated with tobacco. The nicotine cravings will stop but the other cravings and acidic leaching will go on for a while. Something that simple works. Carrots and celery plus a good dose of really wanting to not be a tobacco addicted controled by a substance person and wanting freedom from weakness and be a stronger human being helps.

Replacing a smoking habit with a juicing habit is a great move. It's helped many people with energy and overall health especially a bad habit. Swap a bad habit with a good habit.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, ajmch said:

Did you ever have an addiction to nicotine, cigarettes or smokeless? How did you manage to quit? Do you have advice for someone who want to quit?

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.  Psa 51:10

The problem with mankind is the desires of our heart is always stronger, always out weighs the decisions of our intellect, ...you have admitted it yourself.

The Bible speaks of our iniquity, that carnal nature we all have inherited from Adam, ...iniquity is our crooked or twisted carnal nature: 

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?  Jer 17:9

David, in his Psalm of repentance, understood this:

Wash me completely from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.  Psa 51:2

His sin was adultery and murder, ...caused by the iniquity, the carnal nature alive inside of him, ...the deceitfulness and wickedness of his own heart.

In verse 10 the word create is bara, the same as create in Gen 1:1, ...that means to create from nothing, David on his knees in humility with a broken and contrite spirit is asking God to create a new, clean, free from lust and addictions heart...,

Father will do the same for you brother, Xanax will only numb the problem and like you said you still have the addiction, ...wouldn't it be better to be set free?

The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;  Isa_61:1

Lord bless

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Some people find it useful to gradually reduce their daily intake. Another thing that tends to help is having an element of accountability. If you're telling someone about when you succeed and fail it often improves your ability to fight off the cravings.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  6

Well, yesterday I bought some nicotine gum. I'm using it to help reduce my daily nicotine intake signficicantly so that when I do quit, it won't be so hard.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,073
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Well, one winter night while out under the car port smoking my umpteenth cigarette that day the Lord tapped me on the shoulder and asked me if I understood where I was going with the cigarettes….    I said really no and he gave me a short vision of about two minutes as to what it was going to lead to concerning my personal future and my wife and kids....   I put that one out and never lit up another one....   that was about 35 years ago.....    I had some withdrawal,, but knowledge of what it was leading to made it worth the effort....   I got over the chemical part in about a week but the physical habits of needing something in my mouth and hand took a lot longer....     cut up straws the length of a cigarette solved that problem and after a year or so I dropped those.   

interestingly the Lord really never told me to quit....   just made sure I understood each side of the outcomes of the choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

21 hours ago, ajmch said:

I’m a Christian who suffers with nicotine addiction. I’ve been using smokeless tobacco for five years now, and quitting has been difficult, to say the least. In fact, I made up my mind to quit yesterday, and all day yesterday I didn’t use any tobacco. Today things were going smoothly until lunch, at which point I ate a big meal, so afterwards my cravings hit hard. I subsequently relapsed.

I’m thinking about getting some Xanax from my doctor. Last time I was prescribed this pill, I barely noticed any cravings or withdrawals while I was on it. I only took Xanax for a week, but I was still able to quit nicotine for six weeks until I relapsed (that’s the longest I’ve ever been off of it). However, I won’t be able to see my doctor until next month.

I am a smoker. I have been smoking for many years. I have tried to quit a couple of times with no success. Most people smoke to relieve anxiety. Nicotine is a drug just like caffeine and alcohol. Why don't you try cutting down for now? The less nicotine in your system the less you will want. Xanax is horribly addicting. You will then be switching one addiction for another. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Well my own testimony is that I never was able to quit. I stopped for a full year, then for nine months, for six months and for  a mere three months, but never stopped wanting a cigarette.

I had starting buying my own tobacco at age eleven and was buying five and a half packs of cigarettes a day at age thirty five when the Holy Spirit paid me a visit turning me about from my own rebellion against God to my repentance and bond-servitude to Jesus.

As a gift to me the Holy Spirit took away my  addiction immediately as I said to the Holy Spirit regarding Jesus and my salvation through His shed blood "If that is true I want it".  Immediately I no longer was the man the old man that smoked tobacco, all without my having any withdrawal isues nor any substitute addictions.

I have not had any tobacco/ nicotine in forty years. All  I can say is I could not quit, but the Holy Spirit could and did gift to me freedom from that addiction.

It is actually a daily reminder that God is there when  I smell the nasty aroma of other people's smoking.  He is indwelling me. I am his own, and free of addiction by his grace and his mercy alone. Praise God for the daily reassurance.

• This is Worthy 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  7

I have found that educating myself before embarking on the process helped me. Two good resources for information are Allen Carr's book and the website www.whyquit.com .Both of these prescribe to the notion that the only way to quit is cold turkey without any taper. One big piece of advice I can offer is to drink fruit juice every few hours for the first 4 days. The sugar helps you to think clearly

Then after stopping it's all about leaning on God to get you past each urge. It gets easy with each urge that you resist.

After a week it isn't too bad at all.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,644
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

You have to go through hell.

My Beloved Bride is the only one who I ever heard of quitting without nicotine withdrawals. 

I started at age 11 and quit in 1987 at age 25. It was sheer hell.

I prayed and prayed. I craved and craved. It took years for the cravinbg to fully subcide.

Cold turkey.

I told myself every day that if I take that first puff again all the suffering I did was for absolutely nothing.

Edited by JohnD