• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

You have to go through hell.

My Beloved Bride is the only one who I ever heard of quitting without nicotine withdrawals. 

I started at age 11 and quit in 1987 at age 25. It was sheer hell.

I prayed and prayed. I craved and craved. It took years for the cravinbg to fully subcide.

Cold turkey.

I told myself every day that if I take that first puff again all the suffering I did was for absolutely nothing.

Some people want a cigarette the rest of their lives. My x mother in law quit for 25 years. Went through a very rough time and started up all over again. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,792
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I can't believe when I smoked I thought it was good … I wonder who that person was :blink: 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I smoked for 30 years. I tried over and over and failed over and over. Sometimes I would make it a week, sometimes a month, sometimes longer, but I always failed. What worked for me was that I finally came to the place where I really and truly wanted to quit. That's where you will do it, too.

When you are at that stage there won't be any crutches, not the faintest thought of going back or failing. I quit back when nicotine patches were available only through prescription. They helped, but they didn't do it all. True determination is what it takes.

That's probably not what you want to hear, but that's what it took for me and that's what the "experts" say is true, too.

The real, almost desperate "want to" is the key.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 2/15/2019 at 4:31 PM, ajmch said:

Did you ever have an addiction to nicotine, cigarettes or smokeless? How did you manage to quit? Do you have advice for someone who want to quit?

Father I do pray in the name of my Lord Jesus  that the Holy Spirit will enable ajmch to be off tobacco. Amen.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 2/15/2019 at 9:31 PM, ajmch said:

I’m a Christian who suffers with nicotine addiction. I’ve been using smokeless tobacco for five years now, and quitting has been difficult, to say the least. In fact, I made up my mind to quit yesterday, and all day yesterday I didn’t use any tobacco. Today things were going smoothly until lunch, at which point I ate a big meal, so afterwards my cravings hit hard. I subsequently relapsed.

Did you ever have an addiction to nicotine, cigarettes or smokeless? How did you manage to quit? Do you have advice for someone who want to quit?

I’m thinking about getting some Xanax from my doctor. Last time I was prescribed this pill, I barely noticed any cravings or withdrawals while I was on it. I only took Xanax for a week, but I was still able to quit nicotine for six weeks until I relapsed (that’s the longest I’ve ever been off of it). However, I won’t be able to see my doctor until next month.

Keep praying about it, lower the intake over time.