• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

President's Day a holiday with banks closed today  is a really weird holiday in the USA. One made to accommodate the adding of a holiday for commemorating another man ML King. There was at one time Lincoln's day and Washington's day both in February on their birthdate anniversary. To make room for M. L. King without adding yet another holiday  those two were combined into one day and became  Presidents Day, and all preidents are now honored. Really? Does anyone honor all presidents, those elected leader of the USA at one time or another?

Nearly half the population of the country was against each one of the presidents when they were serving as President of the USA. Now we have cable tv channels hyping how many were the best of presidents, creating further divide among the population today. Seems a silly day to me. A day of  being a respecter of some persons over another I guess. Seems a low holiday to me, not at all like honoring those fallen  in line of duty while serving the country at wars, - if we are to honor people, and nothing at all like Resurrection Sunday remembrance.

It is not religious ceremony, it is not even secular joy, it is,  -well politics. A holiday celebrating politics seems a low form of holiday. And the dangnabit bank is closed, how silly is that?.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

7dead5078d226230af9df3c7b2ca8290--famous-presidents-presidents-day.jpg.15ec5b175184a890d993a0269a7caa26.jpg

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

President's Day USA

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

It is not religious ceremony, it is not even secular joy, it is,  -well politics. A holiday celebrating politics seems a low form of holiday. And the dangnabit bank is closed, how silly is that?.

I can understand your view of this holiday. But you're old enough to remember when it meant something to the people, when Americans were still patriotic, and having leadership like Washington and Lincoln and others was worth celebrating. We were blessed by God here in America, to have had Godly leadership when needed most. Back then. Should we stop a tradition honoring them because some other presidents had no respect for their position, and were not were not worthy  to hold the  office. You may think it is a holiday celebrating politics, maybe so. I never thought of it that way.
Reflecting back into our countries history, the honorable stuff, even the not so honorable, is a good thing, lest we repeat it.
The public schools have removed most of our honorable past, and highlighting our faults. Stop this 'Make America great again' idea.

I also did not know it was a holiday till my wife told me to only set out the Fed X packages for shipping, and not the USPS, due to Presidents day.
Seems like there is always some federal holiday for some people.     (helps em from going postal)

In 1968 Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Bill, which moved a number of federal holidays to Mondays. The change was designed to schedule certain holidays so that workers had a number of long weekends throughout the year, but it has been opposed by those who believe that those holidays should be celebrated on the dates they actually commemorate. During debate on the bill, it was proposed that Washington’s Birthday be renamed Presidents’ Day to honour the birthdays of both Washington (February 22) and Lincoln (February 12); although Lincoln’s birthday was celebrated in many states, it was never an official federal holiday. Following much discussion, Congress rejected the name change. After the bill went into effect in 1971, however, Presidents’ Day became the commonly accepted name, due in part to retailers’ use of that name to promote sales and the holiday’s proximity to Lincoln’s birthday. Presidents’ Day is usually marked by public ceremonies in Washington, D.C., and throughout the country.

default_cool2.gif

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

7dead5078d226230af9df3c7b2ca8290--famous-presidents-presidents-day.jpg.15ec5b175184a890d993a0269a7caa26.jpg

EXACTLY .

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

9 hours ago, PepperS said:

I recommend you not commemorate the holiday then.

BTW, I didn't even realize it was President's Day until I saw your post. Thanks for saving me a trip to the bank.

Hi, I didn't commemorate it. Might be different if it were still Washington's Birthday and/ or Lincoln's birthday, but president's day?Nixon Carter Obama Clinton, Really? In my lifetime the only president worth any noting(IMO) was our hero of WWII President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Glad I saved you a trip.