• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/19/2019 at 3:02 AM, dazeddaisy said:

I'm in an odd situation, one that led me to this forum to begin with.

Recently, I've been trying to use a prayer journal and pray for specific individuals. In that time, I've felt a very strong desire to pray for an individual that I used to be infatuated with, whom I have not been in contact with in some years.

The problem: back then, I idolized and lusted after this person. I genuinely placed them before God in pretty much every area of my life. Ex: he was on the worship band, so I stared at him during worship. He was funny, so I always thought of his jokes during church services. I would be so upset on days that he wouldn't talk to me, but I rarely ever prayed. (I know, I'm ashamed just thinking about it.)

God told me in no uncertain terms that this person was not the one for me, even when I was still trying to hold on.

Back to the present: I am actively trying to stop thinking about this person, and though it's taken some time, I've been mostly successful. I've been more focused on growing in my relationship with God than ever before, and I'm almost always in prayer. I have felt a call to pray for that person, their walk with Christ, their resistance to temptation, finding a community of believers, and so on.

However, I do not trust my intentions. I don't know if this is truly God moving on my heart to pray for this person, or if this is me trying to stay attached to this person through prayer.

If this is God's will, I don't want my fears to stop me--especially if this person really is wrestling with their faith. However, if this is just my flesh, I don't want to let myself fall back into old patterns of sin (lust and idolatry).

So I guess my question is, is this God or my flesh talking? What advice would you give me on handling this situation?

I have asked God for confirmation on whether or not this is Him. I have also asked a family member, a couple people who are more spiritually mature than me, and a couple friends. Now I'm asking for your input.

Please help! Thanks!

Have you considered asking the person you're interested in how they might feel about courting (dating with accountability and rules)?

Your dilemma is like asking God if pizza tastes good and waiting for an answer from God, rather than taking a (non-sinful with accountability and rules) bite of pizza.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

3 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

Have you considered asking the person you're interested in how they might feel about courting (dating with accountability and rules)?

Your dilemma is like asking God if pizza tastes good and waiting for an answer from God, rather than taking a (non-sinful with accountability and rules) bite of pizza.

I'm no longer interested in this person, but thank you for the advice! I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future.

I probably could have written the OP better, but what I meant was this:

A few years ago, while I was in high school, I was infatuated with a person in a way that I shouldn't have been. It led me into several sins (idolatry, lust, astrology, tarot cards, law of attraction, and other new age/occult things). All the while, I was asking God to bless my obsession. God broke me of that by removing him from my life (we went to different colleges), and we haven't spoken since.

In the present day, I wanted to pray over this person. (Not "for" them in the sense that they'd date me lol.) I think I convinced myself that they were having some kind of spiritual issue that I needed to pray for them for--when they never told me so. (As if I needed to "save" when I know well and good that only Jesus saves. That was the first red flag.)

I didn't feel peace about praying for him in this manner, so I questioned whether or not that desire was from God. I asked God, family, friends, and this forum, and I've decided to  leave it alone. I feel much more peace from this decision.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

18 hours ago, dazeddaisy said:

I'm no longer interested in this person, but thank you for the advice! I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future.

I probably could have written the OP better, but what I meant was this:

A few years ago, while I was in high school, I was infatuated with a person in a way that I shouldn't have been. It led me into several sins (idolatry, lust, astrology, tarot cards, law of attraction, and other new age/occult things). All the while, I was asking God to bless my obsession. God broke me of that by removing him from my life (we went to different colleges), and we haven't spoken since.

In the present day, I wanted to pray over this person. (Not "for" them in the sense that they'd date me lol.) I think I convinced myself that they were having some kind of spiritual issue that I needed to pray for them for--when they never told me so. (As if I needed to "save" when I know well and good that only Jesus saves. That was the first red flag.)

I didn't feel peace about praying for him in this manner, so I questioned whether or not that desire was from God. I asked God, family, friends, and this forum, and I've decided to  leave it alone. I feel much more peace from this decision.

According to 1 John as I understand it, you have freedom to pray for a lost person to trust Christ--or not. Peace is good!