IGNORED

What does it mean that God is not mocked?

angels4u

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

I looked up "mocked" in my Strong's Greek dictionary. It seems this means to ridicule and put down, or look down your nose at someone and moo at them. 

But the context is that God is not mocked because we will reap what we sow. So, maybe Paul means people won't get away with putting down God. Because they are refusing to submit to God who is able to make them right and successful in loving and self control, they get into more and more deep trouble in themselves >

"But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived." (2 Timothy 3:13)

As they refuse God, He can let go of them so they become more and more dominated by their evil drives and ways of reacting > like happened to the people in Romans 1:18-32.

We will reap so much more than we have been sowing. With God, we can invest in becoming more and more like Jesus so in the resurrection we reap so much more of how Jesus is.

But if ones have invested in their self-seeking things, the nasty and rotten stuff of this is what they can reap so much more, after they no longer have their physical bodies and they will become all spiritual like how their real character has been becoming. 

How we really have been becoming in our character is what we will reap so much more, than those little seeds we have been sowing!!

Therefore, I think, this is why Jesus in His Sermon on the Mount starts right off with how to be > our character has to do with how we are > we need how God's love has us becoming more and more >

poor in spirit

meek

merciful

pure in heart

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

I notice how it says the "gentle and quite spirit" of God's love is "incorruptible". To me, this means how there is almighty power in God's love, making us so we can not be corrupted by nasty and negative and cruel and dominating things in us. But ones in selfishness are weak enough to be corrupted by dominating and controlling drives and ways of relating and reacting so they break down, more and more. Then, in their resurrection, if they do not turn from this self stuff and trust in Jesus, their ruined nature becomes fully corrupted, once they have no physical body, any more, to mix in with how they are spiritually. This is what I understand is how it works.

So, it is wise to put away any nasty wrong stuff, so we get more really in how God's love cures our nature >

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

So, yes we can see how forgiveness is so needed, in our investing . . . our sowing > so we forgive "even as God", our Groom Jesus says through Paul, here. 

"Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4:17)

Edited by com7fy8
  • Loved it! 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

God has the last laugh.

In the Navy we had a Wogs revenge day which was followed by the Shellback initiation.

Wogs had a blast.

I got the XO with an egg under his garrison cap that I smashed.

Called me an SOB and we all laughed.

But I was a special case in the initiation the next day

meaning I got double the hard knocks.

Shellbacks got the last laugh.

God has the last laugh / he will not be mocked.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I've used this verse a few times in my saved life. I've used it with another believer, especially when we both knew full well what God wanted from us. My saved friend just didn't want to do what we had to do. So I said to her, don't be fooled God is not mocked. She understood the point. In this sense God had told 2 of His believers what He wanted. We had little doubt. I felt to disobey Him in these cases was the same as mocking Him.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  398
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

The apostle Paul warns of the serious danger that attends an attempt to mock God, that is, the danger that comes to one who thinks that the principles of God’s administration can be treated with contempt or can successfully be evaded. He writes to the Galatian Christians: “For if anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he is deceiving his own mind. . . . Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap; because he who is sowing with a view to his flesh will reap corruption from his flesh, but he who is sowing with a view to the spirit will reap everlasting life from the spirit.”—Ga 6:3-8.

Here the apostle shows that a person should not deceive himself with a false estimate of his own worth, thereby ignoring God and his Word. He should clean up his life to walk by the spirit as the Word directs. If a person does not do this, but instead goes on sowing with a view to fleshly desires, he is ‘accepting the undeserved kindness of God and missing its purpose’ and is treating God’s instruction as contemptible. (2Co 6:1) He may deceive himself into thinking that he is safe. Nevertheless, God knows his heart and will judge him accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

On 2/19/2019 at 1:47 PM, angels4u said:

Charles G. Finney, a preacher in the 1800s, wrote about the effects of mocking God: "To mock God is to pretend to love and serve him when we do not; to act in a false manner, to be insincere and hypocritical in our professions, pretending to obey him, love, serve, and worship him, when we do not. . . . Mocking God grieves the Holy Spirit, and sears the conscience; and thus the bands of sin become stronger and stronger. The heart becomes gradually hardened by such a process." 

@angels4u :amen:Thanks for sharing this. It's very good and really packs a punch in a paragraph. I'd never seen this quote before. But Charles Finney is a man of God who I respect.:)

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

On 2/19/2019 at 1:47 PM, angels4u said:

There are repercussions for ignoring God's directives and willfully choosing sin. Adam and Eve tried and brought sorrow and death into the world (Genesis 2:15–17; 3:6, 24). Ananias and Sapphira's deception brought about a swift and public judgment (Acts 5:1–11). Galatians 6:7 states a universal principle: "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows."

@angels4u I really like this thread! Consequences of sin are everyone's reality...though some don't realize it until it is :( too late. There is a song that illustrates this. I am posting below the lyrics that bring this out (through examples of certain repercussions for certain sins.)

God bless you for the excellent threads you contribute to Worthy in this forum section, sister. :emot-wanttohug:

Sin For A Season  by Steve Taylor

There's a sweaty hand handling his cocktail napkin
"Come on up and see me", is scribbled with a gold pen
But you'd better ring twice

Seven months after his little indiscretion
He sits with his wife at a therapy session
For a little advice

If the healing happens as the time goes by
Tell me why I still can't look her in the eye

God I'm only human, got no other reason
Sin for a season

There's a shaky hand shaking with the hand of her hostess
Drank a little much, but she'll drive herself home
If she can make it to her car

She never saw the sign or the boy with his daddy
Driving home late from their very first ballgame
And they don't get far

Now the years run together as her guilt goes wild
She still sees the body of an only child

God I'm only human, got no other reason
Sin for a season, sin for a season
Sin for a season, sin for a season

Wealthy lips say, "Keep us from the evil one"
While the praying hands prey with deliberate cunning
On the carcass of the cold

Gonna get the Good Lord to forgive a little sin
Get the slate cleaned so he can dirty it again
And no one else will ever know

But he reaps his harvest as his heart grows hard
No man's gonna make a mockery of God

I'm only human, got no other reason... Sin for a season

So this song talks about how people tend to make excuses for their sins with the "I'm only human" cliche. But God doesn't buy into that alibi. For He has warned that we will reap what we sow. 

The up side is that 1 Corinthians 10:13 says He will always give a way of escape to those who want to resist temptation.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  227
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Not that creatures"mocking" God is going to effect Him in anyway,as much as the creature doing the "mocking",as I see it.The issue is that He is "holy" and expects us to also be "holy".But the crucial thing is He will not allow His Holy Name to be defiled according to " Ezekiel 36:22-32
NASB (UPDATED) TEXT: Eze_36:22-32
 22”Therefore say to the house of Israel, 'Thus says the Lord GOD, “It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for My holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you went. 23I will vindicate the holiness of My great name which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD,” declares the Lord GOD, “when I prove Myself holy among you in their sight. 24For I will take you from the nations, gather you from all the lands and bring you into your own land. 25Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols.                                           26Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. 28You will live in the land that I gave to your forefathers; so you will be My people, and I will be your God. 29Moreover, I will save you from all your uncleanness; and I will call for the grain and multiply it, and I will not bring a famine on you. 30I will multiply the fruit of the tree and the produce of the field, so that you will not receive again the disgrace of famine among the nations. 31Then you will remember your evil ways and your deeds that were not good, and you will loathe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and your abominations. 32I am not doing this for your sake,” declares the Lord GOD, “let it be known to you. Be ashamed and confounded for your ways, O house of Israel!”
(Utley,Bob. You can understand the Bible.ibiblio.ca...Web