• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I wasn't sure how to phrase the title, but here's my question:

How do I glorify God in my hobbies and the things that I enjoy?

I have been trying to strengthen my relationship with the Lord. Recently, I've stopped listening to and watching pretty much everything secular because those things negatively affected that relationship. I've been trying to fill that space with listening to more gospel music, audio recordings of the Bible, Christian YouTube channels, sermons, etc.

However, I enjoy things like singing, drawing, playing music, listening to musical theater, writing books and poetry, reading comics, and so on. How do I glorify God while doing these things? Do they have to be explicitly "Christian" to bring Him glory? Do you have any recommendations for media in these areas that you think do glorify Him?

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,382
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

IMO no, creative works don't have to be explicitly Christian. You can work Christian values in more subtly. You can thank God for the inspiration and ability to have created the works, in public or in private. If it's something a lot of people will be seeing, like art on a website, it's probably a good idea to make your faith and intentions known there.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

If you keep on confining your cultural 'diet' to Christian things, you'll have a wonderful relationship with the Lord but will be hopelessly out of touch with how unbelievers think - which will make it much more difficult to witness to them (which is a very important way of bringing glory to God). 

Christian artists have generally found that they produce better quality art if they expose themselves to the best secular art. Surely we can learn from the techniques of secular artists/musicians/film-makers, even if we disagree with their message? Not being an 'arty' person myself, I can't recommend anything, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, dazeddaisy said:

Shalom dazeddaisy,

Great question!

I believe that one of the interpretations we can take from the Lord Jesus' Parable of the Minas in Matthew 25:14-30 is referring to our skills or gifts. The gifts of the Spirit come in many forms, not just tongues and prophecy and healing - but gifts for edifying others.

So you can sing and play music? Fantastic. I play the guitar myself and I have made it a goal to write songs using scripture as a basis. Not to create worship songs, as I plan for most to be instrumental, but from me to my God. Just a gift from me to Him, as you might write a song for a loved one. If you don't want to perform for others, why not perform solely for God.

So you can draw? Brilliant. I wish I could draw better. Have you thought of creating short comic strips for comedy? Maybe based of something you've noticed from a Christian viewpoint? Or maybe a comic to teach others something you've learned that could help others. Maybe even your favourite scene from scripture - then upload it here! Don't underestimate the wisdom you have to share.

So you write books and poetry? Amazing. I am using my passion for writing to develop a website for the glory of God - to help others. You could perhaps do something similar or write a story based of your testimony to encourage others. Or maybe a allegorical book to explain a complicated matter for Christians younger in their faith. As for poetry, sharing such art warms the hearts of brothers and sisters, it can evoke emotions and make them think deeply, and spring to mind later in life to help them. Or maybe you could write poems in a journal, just between you and God, a special dedicated book of poetry between you both.

I suppose my point is this. In any form of art which you are interested in or have a talent in, there is a way to worship God. It doesn't need to be something shared, it can be between to you and Him. However, if it is shared, you bring blessings to others.

Now, you might say "I'm not nearly good enough to write songs for God or write poems to glorify Him". Don't look down on your skills which are either God given from birth, or have been cultivated in your God given life.  When a child brings home a piece of art they done at school, doesn't a good parent usually make a fuss and stick it up on the wall or fridge? They know it's no Michelangelo, but it's the heart intent and child's effort which pleases them - it's "an offering acceptable to the parent". If an earthly parent in their sinful flesh can still delight in their child's art, how much more so will our heavenly Father? 

One final thought - Don't write, draw or sing what you hear or think a "good Christian" would do.  You just do you.  However simple, strange, unique, non-typical or odd as you might think it to be - just do it.  An honest form or art is the best form of art.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

50 minutes ago, SelahSong said:

I guess the Lord and I have written about a dozen songs using my most favorite scriptures

Shalom Selah! 

It's awesome to hear that. The power of music cannot be overstated, right? After all, Yahweh created the very note frequencies just like he did with the spectrums of light and music is throughout the Word. 

Look forward to jamming with you in the New Jerusalem! 

Love & Shalom 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

14 hours ago, dazeddaisy said:

I have been trying to strengthen my relationship with the Lord. Recently, I've stopped listening to and watching pretty much everything secular because those things negatively affected that relationship. I've been trying to fill that space with listening to more gospel music, audio recordings of the Bible, Christian YouTube channels, sermons, etc.

However, I enjoy things like singing, drawing, playing music, listening to musical theater, writing books and poetry, reading comics, and so on. How do I glorify God while doing these things? Do they have to be explicitly "Christian" to bring Him glory? Do you have any recommendations for media in these areas that you think do glorify Him?

For years now I have been going to a nursing home in the area and singing for them.  Think outside the box, if you are using your gifts to bless others, that is glorifying Him.

God bless

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

1 hour ago, wingnut- said:

For years now I have been going to a nursing home in the area and singing for them.  Think outside the box, if you are using your gifts to bless others, that is glorifying Him.

God bless

I've never thought about it this way, but it makes a lot of sense!

Thank you everyone for all your responses.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

20 hours ago, dazeddaisy said:

Anytime we are doing anything that takes our focus off of God and on the world we are not pleasing Him. I no longer watch television. I don't even have one. I listen only to Christian music or select music that does not have secular lyrics. I only read Christian books. It sounds like you are on the right path.