Haррy Felix

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I am a sinner. They are not grave sins but nonetheless insults to the Lord, especially since I commit them willingly. I even tend to rationalize them. It makes me highly uncertain about the pureness and prospect of my soul. So I don't deserve to be this Happy Felix I keep calling myself here. I confessed those sins to a priest and even he thought it was not so bad for me, and he saw logic in the process of committing them. I pray for wisdom, strength, and - it can't hurt - a lot of mercy.

Edited by Happy Felix
Typo in title

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,778
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 minutes ago, Happy Felix said:

I am a sinner. They are not grave sins but nonetheless insults to the Lord, especially since I commit them willingly. I even tend to rationalize them. It makes me highly uncertain about the pureness and prospect of my soul. So I don't deserve to be this Happy Felix I keep calling myself here. I confessed those sins to a priest and even he thought it was not so bad for me, and he saw logic in the process of committing them. I pray for wisdom, strength, and - it can't hurt - a lot of mercy.

Any penance to serve given you by the priest ?

Only reading a certain text. I did.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,778
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

27 minutes ago, Happy Felix said:

Only reading a certain text. I did.

I was going to give you this passage...

1Jn 1:5-10
(5)  This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.
(6)  If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.
(7)  But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
(8)  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
(9)  If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
(10)  If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Happy Felix said:

Shalom Happy Felix,

We all make mistakes. And, if we're honest, some of them are accidental and some of them are willing.

Sin is simply "missing the mark" and following after the flesh rather than after the spirit. Of course, you need to repent of this sin. He will be faithful to forgive you if you mean it. Even if you only mean it by 51%, it still counts. Repent and try again. 

However, I wanted to write to you specifically to say to stop judging yourself. For even Paul said that he did not judge himself.  I know it's hard not to, but you have to try.

So, let's say you are a mess (I'm using extremes here) and you sin a lot against God and others. Whatever you've done, that was then and this is now. You can change you ways from this very hour and be right with God.

If you have wronged anyone, try to make good on it. If you have sinned against yourself, make restitution by treating yourself with more respect. Don't aim for your soul to be "pure" or to be "happy". Just do and be.  Pureness and happiness will follow thereafter, but they shouldn't be your aim, focus or measuring stick - lest you fall short each time and condemn yourself as a failure. 

It regards to rationalising sin, this is typical for the flesh. Very rarely does a sinner or evil person happily think they are a sinner or evil, but have a rationale which justifies their actions (the psychological concept is called cognitive dissonance).  Indeed, the flesh will try to win each time, persistently seeking it's own selfish satiation and goals and the spirit suffers. 

So, what can be done?  If you know what you are about to do is a sin, don't even get into debate with the flesh (that is, your mind). Don't even open the floor for discussion!  If you reply "no" to the temptation or rationalisation, then the temptation of the flesh will soon get bored and lose it's power.  But don't entertain the thought or "logic" in your mind  because your flesh knows how to beat you in an argument (using all your intelligence, experiences and reasoning skills).   Again, when these thoughts arise, act like a judge in a courtroom and say "Overruled!" and you will soon gain self-control again.

One final thing - please read Romans 7 and 8 a couple of times, in which Paul addresses this very matter. Because your post testifies to the fact that your spirit wants to do good!  So, don't let the flesh gain the upper hand.  Then you'll hear the Holy Spirit clearer, who will help and guide you in all things.

Forgive me if any of this comes across too strong. I write this with a heart of love and confidence in your success, my friend.

Love & Shalom 

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,899
  • Content Per Day:  3.09
  • Days Won:  1

Please train yourself with fasting, for example eating vegetarian only in a week or eating rice with salt only or eat once only in a day, do it regularly n u Will feel new spirit.

Edited by R. Hartono

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

14 hours ago, Happy Felix said:

Hi, Felix - 

[1]  We all rationalize our sins many times.  I like to think of rationalization as the opposite or repentance.  R does not equal R so to speak.

• Rationalization  leads to repeating the same sin.
  • Repentance leads to rejecting those sins.
  •  [Sorry for the alliteration.]  So next time you or I or anyone else reading this is in a state of rationalizing sin, repent of that....and the sin.  The devil is all about rationalizing sin.  That's what he did to Eve and Jesus.  It's what he does to us.  Eve failed.  Jesus succeeded in overcoming temptation.

[2]  Your priest may have told you that those sins were "not so bad for you", but sins - no matter how "bad" - are evidence of a problem in our lives.  

• Our problem is our nature.  Our sin nature.  It's like being born right-handed or left-handed.  We are born sinners.  It's not our behaviors that have to change.  We can't just "be perfect".  It's our nature that has to change and only Jesus Christ can do that.
  • Once we submit ourselves to God via Jesus Christ and his shed blood - he gives us a new nature.  The old is past away.  
  • Our behavior changes are a result of this new nature.
  • We will still sin, but it should be less and less.  Our new nature still lives in this body of flesh that will decay and not reach heaven.  So there is a battle here on this earth within ourselves sometimes.  We know what is right - yet we don' do it.  We know what is wrong - yet we don't avoid it.
  •  But because we are saved, we can flee from sin, recognize it readily, and use the power of God within us to be overcomers.

[3]  The "purpose and prospect of your soul" is only found in Christ.  

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

10 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

Please train yourself with fasting, for example eating vegetarian only in a week or eating rice with salt only or eat once only in a day, do it regularly n u Will feel new spirit.

I think you have a wrong idea of fasting.

Biblical fasting is not about abstaining from meat or eating a little salted rice once a day.

Biblical fasting is about doing without things like food - a necessity of life - and replacing it with intense prayer and Bible reading and seeking of God. More so than one's usual daily Bible reading, prayer, and seeking God.

What you are talking about is merely an eating plan.  Merely changing what you eat or just "not eating" has no bearing on your spiritual walk with God.  Non-believers could eat like this and maybe "feel" better, but they are still lost.

When Christians fast, with no seeking of God, it just makes them grumbly and tired.....and hungry.  Mortifying the flesh alone by skipping meals is just the first step to fasting.

Fasting, according to the Bible, is about seeking God's face in humility.  So humble, in fact, that one is abasing themselves enough to forgo eating.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks to your and my praying I feel much more determined to lead my life as it is intended, i.e. holy. Thanks a lot dear brothers and sisters. I may need some occasional confirmation but I feel much better and stronger now.

What also helps me a lot is reading about saints who demonstrated determination and holiness.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  64

Praying for you. 

Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version (NIV)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.[a]

1 John 1:9 New International Version (NIV)

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

• Thanks 1