• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

29 minutes ago, com7fy8 said:

But it does say >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

Yes, there are thousands of such verses describing how the righteous are to be and behave, I'm rather saying that there is NOTHING we can do to please God to make Him love us or give us salvation. NOTHING.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

A humble and contrite heart God shall not despise . He desires truth on the inward parts     Psalm 51

• This is Worthy 1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, Billiards Ball said:

Yes, there are thousands of such verses describing how the righteous are to be and behave, I'm rather saying that there is NOTHING we can do to please God to make Him love us or give us salvation. NOTHING.

why would you say that. What about coming to repentance and believe upon Jesus. 

19 hours ago, Mike Mclees said:

why would you say that. What about coming to repentance and believe upon Jesus. 

I say that because there ARE thousands of such verses, but ZERO verses that say repentance is salvation. We can find verses to repent and ALSO be saved (change your mind, you cannot save yourself, be saved) and verses that say things including godly sorrow leads to repentance or God's kindness leads to repentance, but ZERO verses saying repentance IS salvation or repentance automatically becomes salvation.

Salvation is asked for over 90 times in John's gospel alone: TRUST JESUS, NOT YOURSELF/YOUR REPENTANCE/WORKS/FAITH/CHARITY/CHARACTER/BAPTISM/DEEDS for SALVATION.

To repent is to change one's mind about Jesus being Savior, biblically speaking.

To "believe upon Jesus" is to trust Jesus, not myself, for salvation.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Heaven is my home. Heaven is my eternal home. :D

1 hour ago, Billiards Ball said:

I say that because there ARE thousands of such verses, but ZERO verses that say repentance is salvation. We can find verses to repent and ALSO be saved (change your mind, you cannot save yourself, be saved) and verses that say things including godly sorrow leads to repentance or God's kindness leads to repentance, but ZERO verses saying repentance IS salvation or repentance automatically becomes salvation.

Salvation is asked for over 90 times in John's gospel alone: TRUST JESUS, NOT YOURSELF/YOUR REPENTANCE/WORKS/FAITH/CHARITY/CHARACTER/BAPTISM/DEEDS for SALVATION.

To repent is to change one's mind about Jesus being Savior, biblically speaking.

To "believe upon Jesus" is to trust Jesus, not myself, for salvation.

so what's the problem?  The Jailer asked Paul what must I do to be saved.  Believe upon the Lord Jesus Christ and thee and thy house shall be saved. I will say thought that salvation without repentance doesn't fly. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

9 hours ago, Mike Mclees said:

so what's the problem?  The Jailer asked Paul what must I do to be saved.  Believe upon the Lord Jesus Christ and thee and thy house shall be saved. I will say thought that salvation without repentance doesn't fly. 

The jailers heart had been pricked by the Holy Spirit to show him his NEED of salvation and he knew enough to know that he was not capable of saving himself (THAT is tehbrepentance God is loooking for )Why else would he ask what to do? He was not guilty of the self- righteous delusion that he was “ good enough” and since he was good enough , he was facing no danger—no need to ask anything about salvation, that’s for the guys on the other side of all these jail bars.

“ Nobody comes to God, lest the Spirit draw him”........ the jailer had been drawn by the Spirit......

Edited by Blood Bought 1953

15 hours ago, Mike Mclees said:

You're right, it doesn't, but most people think repentance is a change of life. In the Greek, it is a change of mind. Think you can save yourself? You aren't saved. Change your mind, as a thinking person (not some baptized infant, say) that you cannot save yourself, but that Christ can save? Then you will be saved IF you go beyond realizing you cannot save yourself to actually trusting Christ for salvation.

Repentance: Understand mentally that one cannot save oneself, but Christ saves.

Salvation: Trust Christ, going beyond mental belief to affirming the final decision to be born again.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

10 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

most people think repentance is a change of life. In the Greek, it is a change of mind.

Paul says we "first trusted in Christ", in Ephesians 1:12. I think this is what believing is. And there is repenting in this, if this means repenting of how we have been depending on self.

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." (in Luke 9:23)

Yes, we trust Jesus, first and ONLY.

NO, we aren't saved by carrying a cross.