Pencil24

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I never have attempted reading the books of the prophets or Revelation on my own. There are so many denominations and so many different theories as to what people think of these books. What would help me understand the symbolic symbols in Revelation. As I child I always thought the Old Testament prophet books were to explain what is to come. What order should I read them in? Is there anything you can recommend to refer to while reading these books? I did start reading the NLT I completely understand the Bible now that I found this version. KJV and even NKJV are for advanced readers that don't need a dictionary to understand the words. I really don't feel it will mislead me it actually helps me understand.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

Good.    Read, read, read more,  like a child reading a letter from his father in another far away country.  (though God is close to us all the time).

Read , read, and enjoy God's Word.   ENJOY HIS WORD!   ENJOY HIS WORD !   It is GOOD and PROFITABLE (SPIRITUALLY) for all life in this life and in the life to come.

And it is more simple than you have ever realized.  

Remember Jesus says in the NT - PRAISE YOU FATHER ,  for revealing salvation, and everything about salvation to little children !   YES, for this is your good pleasure so to do.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  4,040
  • Content Per Day:  1.41

5 hours ago, Pencil24 said:

I never have attempted reading the books of the prophets or Revelation on my own. There are so many denominations and so many different theories as to what people think of these books. What would help me understand the symbolic symbols in Revelation. As I child I always thought the Old Testament prophet books were to explain what is to come. What order should I read them in? Is there anything you can recommend to refer to while reading these books? I did start reading the NLT I completely understand the Bible now that I found this version. KJV and even NKJV are for advanced readers that don't need a dictionary to understand the words. I really don't feel it will mislead me it actually helps me understand.

Find the "THREADS" that link them all. You kind of have to understand the Old Testament to understand the book of Revelation, a lot of it's encoded with the Old Testament. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

5 hours ago, Pencil24 said:

I don't think you should rely too much on anyone explaining the Bible to you. Find a version that looks good to you and read it, cover to cover. It's only about 1000 pages. Understanding the Lord isn't a matter of becoming an expert on what's in the Bible. Understanding the Lord is a matter of obeying the Lord's commandments. That is what leads us to wisdom.

Edited by johnthebaptist
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

On 25 February 2019 at 7:33 PM, Pencil24 said:

May I suggest that you get familiar with what ever book you are studying. Read the whole book two or three time in large chunks to learn its layout and to get a feel for the theames in the book.

Then read it together with a commentary.

As you read record what youv'e read, anything that struck you and why. Also record what it made you pray about.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Hello,

Can you please inform me about The Book of Revelation? Here are my questions.

What do you know about the book in General?

Who are these characters? What are their roles? 

- Second Coming Messiah

- Anti Christ

-False Prophet

-Anti Christ Spirit

-Harlot Spirit

-Beast Spirit

-Four Beasts

-Four Hoursemen

-Angels

-Holy Spirits

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

On 2/25/2019 at 1:33 PM, Pencil24 said:

Dr. Chuck Missler believed the book of Revelation was the best place to start studying the Bible because it starts out with a blessing and saying in effect "I'm special."

He also taught it was a great place to start because it takes studying the entire Bible to interpret the symbolism in Revelation.

BUT!

I also caution to begin with 2 Peter 1:20-21 because it says to.

2 Peter 1:20-21, 1 John 4:1 / 1 Thessalonians 5:21 = Acts 17:11, Deuteronomy 29:29, Proverbs 25:2, Isaiah 28:10-13 these are what I call the keys to the kingdom.

The Holy Spirit wrote the Bible (through the prophets) he alone interprets the Bible and we use the Bible to insure he is the one doing the interpreting.

Then have at it!

You will be blessed and enlightened beyond your wildest imagination!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Thank you I will definitely look those up? I was going to read the prophets this year maybe I should read the prophets and Revelation.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

On 2/25/2019 at 11:33 AM, Pencil24 said:

Starting with basic Greek notations would be good

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

On 2/25/2019 at 2:33 PM, Pencil24 said:

A couple of things can help, first; seals at the beginning, trumpets in the middle and vials of wrath towards the end. Like many things in Revelations they come in sevens. The imagery is straight out of the Levitical law so the appearance of the Son of Man resembles the High Priest for example. The seven golden lamps is actually the Menorah, a hallow seven peonged lamp filled with oil. Getting acquainted with the prophets is helpfull but if your patient, well worth tge time to learn.

• Thumbs Up 1