Annette

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

I think that seeing (by looking up and reading in the Bible)  how often , and in context casually at first,  "wait" "waiting" "waited" ,  or "Be Still"  ,  "Cease" ,  and so on

is in Scripture,  barely begins to begin to begin learning what Yahweh has in store for His people, Ekklesia (OT and NT),

both in this life,  and in the life to come.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,400
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

I've found that it pays to look at situations where I was made to wait without realizing it and there was a good pay off and on the times when I chose not to wait and it didn't turn out so well. Looking at that gives a lot of incentive to wait and trust that God's got it under control and has something in mind.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

If a person is genuinely asking God for direction they will pray on that and put it in His hands. They will give it a few days and then proceed. God will open or close the doors according to His will and plan He has for you. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Annette,

Like you I`ve had to learn through much experience not to rush or push, or try to make something happen. Nowadays I think I`ve become content in all situations and enjoy what God is doing now and trust Him for the future. Doesn`t mean I don`t prepare, whatever, but as I pace myself, know my limits, then I can more easily sense God`s timing or direction.

regards, Marilyn. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom Annette,

Great subject.  Waiting in the Bible fascinates me. When you read short verses about someone's life, we can sometimes assume that everything happen in a short period of time, which is silly really. A good commentary helps fill in the blanks and history. I recommend Chuck Missler for a deep dive into each book.

The life I often refer to when speaking about waiting is Abraham and Moses.

Moses lived 40 years in Egypt before leaving for the wilderness in which he spent another 40 years! Amazing. Half a life living as royalty and the other half living as a shepherd in a tent. What an amazing training session! 80 years of preparation for a great work of leading Israel. Still, at the age of 76 he surely must have thought he would be living out his days in the wilderness with his wife in peace. He never knew that wonder day he would find the burning bush. 

Some of us here might reach that same kind of age when Yahweh commissions us for a mission. That's so cool.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!

I couldn't leave this alone :)  My conviction  that this idea of waiting on Him and stillness in His presence is more important  now than it ever has been is  strong.  It's always been important, but in this season, when His exaltation  in the earth and above all nations is getting so close, it's just not optional any more in any sense.

There is a knowing of God found in stillness that cannot be had under any  other circumstance.  Laying aside everything about daily life, time pressure or earthly concerns, by choice, to spend time just sitting with Him, no agenda, no reason and no expectation but to just sit, keep quiet and wait until He shows up is a powerful thing.

If you choose to obey Him in the exhortation He delivers in the verse above, I bet the first thing  you'll discover is the unruliness of your  own mind.  I found it takes PRACTICE to be still.  And not a little of it.  I'd  purpose to be still and just let Him reveal Himself in His way, whenever He chose, still my  own thinking and wait...and thirty seconds later my mind was waaaaay off over there thinking about what I had to get  done at work the next day, figuring out what I wanted for dinner.....ANYTHING but waiting in  stillness.

So, I'd have to go rope it, hog tie it and drag it back into my  intention to be still and focus on Him.....and thirty  seconds later......and thirty  seconds later......lol

I did  find after a season the discipline  of stillness got easier to just abide in for longer and longer periods  of time, but it took some persistence.  Eventually, once submission  to His command to be still has gained a measure of stability, He  does show  up.   And reveal Himself.  These times can become some  of the most intensely transformative times where He causes heaps and leaps of change in us, conforming us to His  image.  In a day when He needs to move quickly to prepare us for what is ahead, submitting  to this waiting in stillness can truly accelerate our maturing.  It  is IMPOSSIBLE to spend time in His manifest presence and emerge unchanged.

Unfortunately, it  is a perishable skill to be able to still our minds.  We have to refresh this discipline regularly or we'll lose it.  Fortunately, His manifest presence is downright addictive....  :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1