IGNORED

Ephesians 6:10 to 6:20

On 3/8/2019 at 11:46 PM, Willa said:

This is the phrase that stands out to me.  After we have done all the things instructed in these verses, including praying at all times in the Spirit, having done all, to stand.  We are told often in Old Testament battles to stand and see the salvation of God.  I especially like 11 Chron. 20

2Ch 20:12  O our God, will You not exercise judgment upon them? For we have no might to stand against this great company that is coming against us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon You.

2Ch 20:13  And all Judah stood before the Lord, with their children and their wives.

2Ch 20:14  Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jahaziel son of Zechariah, the son of Benaiah, the son of Jeiel, the son of Mattaniah, a Levite of the sons of Asaph, in the midst of the assembly.

2Ch 20:15  He said, Hearken, all Judah, you inhabitants of Jerusalem, and you King Jehoshaphat. The Lord says this to you: Be not afraid or dismayed at this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's.

After we have done all we know how to do, we keep our eyes on God, and we stand firm to see the salvation of God.  His angels fight on our behalf.  We need open our eyes of faith as Elisha said to see His armies that fight on our behalf.  We are never alone.  He is with us and will never leave us or forsake us.

Absolutely right. I can only speak for myself, but at times, prayer and petition to God are a last result when He should be our first.  It would certainly make my life easier.

Ephesians 6:12 - For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.  [NASB]

Just a casual reading of this verse, one comes away with the Biblical truth that the rulers, powers, world forces of darkness, and spiritual forces of darkness in heavenly places are what Paul is writing about here.  Paul is NOT talking about earthly rulers.  Paul is describing the unseen realm.  How do we fight against this realm is what Paul outlines in the following verses.

Ephesians 6:12

For we wrestle - Greek, “The wrestling to us;” or, “There is not to us a wrestling with flesh and blood.” There is undoubtedly here an allusion to the ancient games of Greece, a part of the exercises in which consisted in wrestling; see the notes on 1 Corinthians 9:25-27.  The Greek word used here - πάλη palē - denotes a “wrestling;” and then a struggle, fight, combat. Here it refers to the struggle or combat which the Christian has to maintain - the Christian warfare.

Not against flesh and blood - Not with people; see the notes on Galatians 1:16. The apostle does not mean to say that Christians had no enemies among men that opposed them, for they were exposed often to fiery persecution; nor that they had nothing to contend with in the carnal and corrupt propensities of their nature, which was true of them then as it is now; but that their main controversy was with the invisible spirits of wickedness that sought to destroy them. They were the source and origin of all their spiritual conflicts, and with them the warfare was to be maintained.

But against principalities - There can be no doubt whatever that the apostle alludes here to evil spirits. Like good angels, they were regarded as divided into ranks and orders, and were supposed to be under the control of one mighty leader; see the notes on Ephesians 1:21. It is probable that the allusion here is to the ranks and orders which they sustained before their fall, something like which they may still retain. The word “principalities” refers to principal rulers, or chieftains.

Powers - Those who had power, or to whom the name of “powers” was given. Milton represents Satan as addressing the fallen angels in similar language:

“Thrones, dominations, princedoms, virtues, powers.”

Against the rulers of the darkness of this world - The rulers that preside over the regions of ignorance and sin with which the earth abounds, compare notes on Ephesians 2:2. “Darkness” is an emblem of ignorance, misery, and sin; and no description could be more accurate than that of representing these malignant spirits as ruling over a dark world. The earth - dark, and wretched and ignorant, and sinful - is just such a dominion as they would choose, or as they would cause; and the degradation and woe of the pagan world are just such as foul and malignant spirits would delight in. It is a wide and a powerful empire. It has been consolidated by ages. It is sustained by all the authority of law; by all the omnipotence of the perverted religious principle; by all the reverence for antiquity; by all the power of selfish, corrupt, and base passions. No empire has been so extended, or has continued so long, as that empire of darkness; and nothing on earth is so difficult to destroy.

Yet the apostle says that it was on that kingdom they were to make war. Against that, the kingdom of the Redeemer was to be set up; and that was to be overcome by the spiritual weapons which he specifies. When he speaks of the Christian warfare here, he refers to the contest with the powers of this dark kingdom. He regards each and every Christian as a soldier to wage war on it in whatever way he could, and wherever he could attack it. The contest therefore was not primarily with people, or with the internal corrupt propensities of the soul; it was with this vast and dark kingdom that had been set up over mankind. I do not regard this passage, therefore, as having a primary reference to the struggle which a Christian maintains with his own corrupt propensities. It is a warfare on a large scale with the entire kingdom of darkness over the world. Yet in maintaining the warfare, the struggle will be with such portions of that kingdom as we come in contact with and will actually relate:

(1) To our own sinful propensities - which are a part of the kingdom of darkness;
(2) With the evil passions of others - their pride, ambition, and spirit of revenge - which are also a part of that kingdom;
(3) With the evil customs, laws, opinions, employments, pleasures of the world - which are also a part of that dark kingdom;
(4) With error, superstition, false doctrine - which are also a part of that kingdom; and,
(5) With the wickedness of the pagan world - the sins of benighted nations - also a part of that kingdom. Wherever we come in contact with evil - whether in our own hearts or elsewhere - there we are to make war.

Against spiritual wickedness - Margin, “or wicked spirits.” Literally, “The spiritual things of wickedness;” but the allusion is undoubtedly to evil spirits, and to their influences on earth.

In high places - ἐν τοῖς ἐπουράνιοις - “in celestial or heavenly places.” The same phrase occurs in Ephesians 1:3; Ephesians 2:6, where it is translated, “in heavenly places.” The word (ἐπουράνιος epouranios) is used of those that dwell in heaven, Matthew 18:35; Philippians 2:10; of those who come from heaven, 1 Corinthians 15:48; Philippians 3:21; of the heavenly bodies, the sun, moon, and stars, 1 Corinthians 15:40. Then the neuter plural of the word is used to denote the heavens; and then the “lower” heavens, the sky, the air, represented as the seat of evil spirits; see the notes on Ephesians 2:2. This is the allusion here. The evil spirits are supposed to occupy the lofty regions of the air, and thence to exert a baleful influence on the affairs of man. What was the origin of this opinion it is not needful here to inquire. No one can “prove,” however, that it is incorrect. It is against such spirits, and all their malignant influences, that Christians are called to contend. In whatever way their power is put forth - whether in the prevalence of vice and error; of superstition and magic arts; of infidelity, atheism, or antinomianism; of evil customs and laws; of pernicious fashions and opinions, or in the corruptions of our own hearts, we are to make war on all these forms of evil, and never to yield in the conflict.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,778
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

5 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Paul is NOT talking about earthly rulers.  Paul is describing the unseen realm.  How do we fight against this realm is what Paul outlines in the following verses.

However, on the subject of earthly rulers it is patently obvious from their reigns whether they are under the influence of Christ or Satan. Darkness is the result of domination, intimidation, manipulation, and seduction, things which the rulers of the darkness of this world delight to manifest through sinful humanity.

Eph 2:2  Wherein in time past you walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience:

This is as true of Paul as of anyone...

Act 26:15-18
(15)  And I said, Who are you, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom you persecute.
(16)  But rise, and stand upon your feet: for I have appeared unto you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of these things which you have seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto you;
(17)  Delivering you from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send you,
(18)  To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

• Brilliant! 1

On 3/12/2019 at 4:53 AM, Michael37 said:

However, on the subject of earthly rulers it is patently obvious from their reigns whether they are under the influence of Christ or Satan. Darkness is the result of domination, intimidation, manipulation, and seduction, things which the rulers of the darkness of this world delight to manifest through sinful humanity.

Eph 2:2  Wherein in time past you walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience:

This is as true of Paul as of anyone...

Act 26:15-18
(15)  And I said, Who are you, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom you persecute.
(16)  But rise, and stand upon your feet: for I have appeared unto you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of these things which you have seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto you;
(17)  Delivering you from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send you,
(18)  To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Ephesians 2:2 illustrates what you're saying perfectly.   But in verses Ephesians 6:10 to 20 Paul is specifically referring to the unseen realm, instead of repeating the same message as Ephesians 2.  At least that's the way I understand it.  The full armor of of God works in both the seen and unseen realm.  Not specifically touched on here is the essential power of prayer.  What power we use last, should be used first.  And when our prayers are answered, we MUST NOT forget to give proper, heartfelt thanks to God and His angels.

I have to quit now, my hands are shaking too  much. It's been a pleasure to talking to you and the other posters.   (To be continnued)

44 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Ephesians 2:2 illustrates what you're saying perfectly.   But in verses Ephesians 6:10 to 20 Paul is specifically referring to the unseen realm, instead of repeating the same message as Ephesians 2.  At least that's the way I understand it.  The full armor of of God works in both the seen and unseen realm.  Not specifically touched on here is the essential power of prayer.  What power we use last, should be used first.  And when our prayers are answered, we MUST NOT forget to give proper, heartfelt thanks to God and His angels.

I have to quit now, my hands are shaking too  much. It's been a pleasure to talking to you and the other posters.   (To be continnued)

Yes, the shaking hands, twitching muscles, spasming nerves, fading eyesight, loss of hearing...
(16)  For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
(17)  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, works for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
(18)  While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. (2Co 4:16-18)

Why the need for spiritual armour? Does the Word of God tell us?

Yes it does...Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

• This is Worthy 1

Ephesians 6:13 - Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
Ephesians 6:14 - Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS,
Ephesians 6:15 - and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE;
Ephesians 6:16 - in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
Ephesians 6:17 - And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Ephesians 6:18 - With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints,
Ephesians 6:19 - and pray on my behalf, that utterance may be given to me in the opening of my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel,
Ephesians 6:20 - for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in proclaiming it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. [NASB]

Prayer isn't mentioned until Ephesians 6:18 as Paul closes off preparation all of us should take against our unseen enemy.  I believe Michael37 had a good reply back on March 8.   All depends on Jesus and the Holy Spirit. 

Thank you all for indulging me this shallow dive into Ephesians 6:10-20 and thank you all for your inputs.

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2019 at 4:31 AM, Michael37 said:

Paul and the Holy Spirit didn't think the categories were redundant when they listed the metaphorical essentials of spiritual armour. 

?Helmet of Salvation = Thoughts Free of Condemnation.

?Breastplate of Righteousness = Heart Full of Godliness.

?Girdle of Truth = Covering Secured by Living Proof.

?Footwear of the Preparation of the Gospel of Peace = Stability in Readiness to Preach.

?Shield of Faith = Protection Impenetrable because of Belief.

?Sword of the Spirit = Attack Effectual with the Word that is Perfect.

?Praying in the Spirit = Requests Holy not that of the Hypocrite.

I wanted to get back to your response from March.  It made quite an impression on me.  This excellent presentation above shows a deep understanding of the Biblical text.  It seems to me that this could not just be arrived at only through the Biblical text.  But a deep dive into the Biblical text like you started below with a reference to Strong's, added by the teachings of trusted resources. 

On 3/8/2019 at 4:31 AM, Michael37 said:

Strongs G746
ἀρχή
archē
ar-khay'
From G756; (properly abstract) a commencement, or (concrete) chief (in various applications of order, time, place or rank): - beginning, corner, (at the, the) first (estate), magistrate, power, principality, principle, rule.
Total KJV occurrences: 58

So we are left deciding what definition to apply to the passage in question.

4 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I wanted to get back to your response from March.  It made quite an impression on me.  This excellent presentation above shows a deep understanding of the Biblical text.  It seems to me that this could not just be arrived at only through the Biblical text.  But a deep dive into the Biblical text like you started below with a reference to Strong's, added by the teachings of trusted resources. 

So we are left deciding what definition to apply to the passage in question.

Thanks for continuing, Saved.One. I don't want to impose my prefered selection from the definitions of "arche" translated as "principality" but the emboldened terms, "chief (in various applications of order, time, place or rank): " are useful to me in dealing with the unseen enemy. 

• 2 years later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.45
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 2/27/2019 at 12:04 AM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Isn't Ephesians 6:12 a call to action against both visible and invisible entities?

Although we need to resist Ha-Satan (James 4:7), our biggest enemy is ourselves.

The armor of the Holy Spirit, above all, are weapons for us to fight against ourselves, our propensity to use evil to win