IGNORED

What angers me most

Is the glory seekers. Those folk who seek attention as if they are so special. That they have a kind of hotline to God. I see them clearly now. People in church who strut around holier than thou, regarding their duties as readers or sidespersons as making them special. The people who certainly do good works but ensure everyone knows! The TV evangelists who go on and on about themselves. I cannot stand it!  Surely Jesus warned against exactly this. Never let your right hand know what your left one does in terms of good works. Pray in private, not like those who stand on street corners so all can witness their fervent praying. 

The trouble is i get so enraged inside. How can i calm down?  Tell me how to pray to overcome my anger. I never want to be like those people. 

I do what i can to bring souls towards Jesus. I am happy doing it privately. I do not need praise from anyone. I do good little tasks for people but choose to be quiet about it. It is my duty and privilege. Jesus has transformed my wretched life to such a good one. I have all i need and such hope and comfort -  I want to spread this beautiful message, that nobody needs to be without our Lord. No need to be alone. He is risen, real and here. It is in our conduct, our daily actions that we show others He lives in us. But we must not seek glory for ourselves. Humility is vital. I remind myself daily that i am a worthless wretched weak sinner. My strength comes from God alone. I am so very grateful. 

But how to cope with this anger i feel towards those who turn God into a circus act and themselves as important? They think God belongs to them only. That they earned Him. 

As a footnote, i find it so sad that such smug people put people off coming into our church. They act so po faced and holier than thou that they must make mere mortals feel unworthy to even step into church. How awful is that? How unacceptable!

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,400
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

A few things. One, Jesus got pretty angry about the moneylenders in the temple and acted on that anger. Anger can be a positive force though we don't often think of it so. The Bible does say we can "be angry and sin not" in Ephesians 4:26, but it also goes on to speak of forgiveness in the following verses. It's worth a read and seems relevant.

I'd add that it's also important to note that only God knows what's truly in the hearts of these people. I agree with you, mind. There's certainly a lot of pride and self glorification in the church. At the same time it's important to keep in mind that as an organization that interacts with the public any church is going to have to put itself out there to some extent. The church, and by extension the leadership and public faces, has to persuade people outside the church and within that it's worthwhile and accomplishing good things. I feel like a lot of the self glorification within the church stems from this and might not even be intentional, though some of it certainly is.

In closing I'd reinforce the need to keep in mind that we as humans can't know what's in a person's heart. If you do feel strongly that a particular person in your church is in error the Bible speaks of how to confront other believers in Matthew 18:15-17. Pray about it a lot, examine yourself closely, and seek guidance from other Christians in your church. If they're in agreement with you and you still feel this anger then maybe there's a purpose for it and you should speak out against this attitude of self glorification in some fashion. Just be sure that if and when you do, you do it in a spirit of love.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

1 hour ago, Melinda12 said:

Is the glory seekers. Those folk who seek attention as if they are so special. That they have a kind of hotline to God.

If you are aware of people in need, particularly those in need of physical help, may I sugest that you enlist the help of the 'super spiritual' praising there "great heavenly value that makes them of extra earthly useful" so could they ........ on this rota which will be on the church notice board.

Being confronted with reality brings people down to earth.

Tv evangelist, don't watch them or any so called Chrisian programe that asks for money.

Do link up with others quitley work in the background, for support and to work more effectevely.

We had several ladies running around giving lifts on Sunday, untill they got together and organised so they didn't have two people calling to collect two people from the same road.

Visitation is also made more effecient if  several visitors co ordinate their visits etc etc etc

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

6 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

The trouble is i get so enraged inside. How can i calm down?  Tell me how to pray to overcome my anger. I never want to be like those people. 

Give thanks to God in all things, all! Doesn't leave much time for getting enraged over much of anything.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

7 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Is the glory seekers. Those folk who seek attention as if they are so special. That they have a kind of hotline to God. I see them clearly now. People in church who strut around holier than thou, regarding their duties as readers or sidespersons as making them special. The people who certainly do good works but ensure everyone knows! The TV evangelists who go on and on about themselves. I cannot stand it!  Surely Jesus warned against exactly this. Never let your right hand know what your left one does in terms of good works. Pray in private, not like those who stand on street corners so all can witness their fervent praying. 

I do what i can to bring souls towards Jesus. I am happy doing it privately. I do not need praise from anyone. I do good little tasks for people but choose to be quiet about it. It is my duty and privilege. Jesus has transformed my wretched life to such a good one. I have all i need and such hope and comfort -  I want to spread this beautiful message, that nobody needs to be without our Lord. No need to be alone. He is risen, real and here. It is in our conduct, our daily actions that we show others He lives in us. But we must not seek glory for ourselves. Humility is vital. I remind myself daily that i am a worthless wretched weak sinner. My strength comes from God alone. I am so very grateful. 

But how to cope with this anger i feel towards those who turn God into a circus act and themselves as important? They think God belongs to them only. That they earned Him. 

As a footnote, i find it so sad that such smug people put people off coming into our church. They act so po faced and holier than thou that they must make mere mortals feel unworthy to even step into church. How awful is that? How unacceptable!

Most effective prayer I've come across for my enemies (whom I am instructed to pray for by God) is "The Lord bless and keep them... far away from me!"

Source: Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi when asked is there a blessing for the Czar).

It really really works! LOL

I did my duty and the rest is up to God and my anger, frustration, etc. are all gone.

Try it. Let us know.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

The TV evangelists who go on and on about themselves. I cannot stand it!

Shalom Melinda,

I understand your frustration and righteous indignation on this matter.  I'm with you on this.

I believe those who abuse the name of our God and Saviour and claim miracles in His name falsely are those who have committed the unforgivable sin, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.  That sin has often been clouded with confusion and mystery, but I think it becomes clear when you read of Yahweh's response in Jeremiah 23:9-40 on this matter. I highly recommend reading that passage with this in mind.

For me, I stay clear of any ministry that is named after a preacher. I think such a naming convention is appalling - I don't care for their marketing challenges.  Using scriptures here and there in front of an open Bible is no seal-of-approval either - for even Satan knows and uses scriptures in temptations.

However, that said, and to answer your question, my advice to you is this...

When I was first a Christian, I did used to listen to such broadcasts.  Though, I would judge myself incorrectly for not having enough faith to "call prosperity" to me, I soon learned that the teaching wasn't good or edifying (or even varied!) and moved on.  Even if such "evangelists" may have ulterior motives, they are still conscious enough to know that they have to preach the gospel fairly accurately to avoid repercussions. So, young Christians and non-believers alike have access to the good news and an introduction to the Word.  

With this in mind, consider the following scriptures: Luke 9:49-50 and Philippians 1:15-18.

So rejoice because Jesus' name is proclaimed on TV and in bookshops because of them!  The good news is easily accessible.

Now, those believers who are called for His purpose will see the deceptions as they mature in their faith under the Word.  Those believers who are self-seeking will become mature in their faith under their tutelage.  So consider that such wolves among sheep may even be necessary to test the believer's true heart.  And your one sounds like it is in the right place! Praise Yahweh. 

Try to be at peace sister.  Turn your anger into pity or fear for them because of the coming Day of Judgment.  Not in a condescending way, but with genuine concern for their eternity.  If you find that too hard, then try to remove yourself from where their influences are felt or seen.  But remember, do not spread bad words about them, speak ill of their ministry or their teachings.  Simply do not show approval politely if asked and teach others what you know of the Word - without being disparaging to them.  You don't want such teachers to become a stumbling block for you as your anger overflows!

I'm sure you haven't done any of the above but I write it as a reminder, encouragement and for others also.

One day things be much better!

Love & Shalom

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I too have anger problems, though mine aren't quite so focused. I go on rants because I see something on the news that sets me off (why I try to avoid watching it), or i'm behind the wheel. Seriously, too many people are too impatient or too distracted to be on the road. Not to mention the folks out there that just love to try and start trouble with you, for no real reason, really.

I've attempted to keep my anger under control, and with the Lord's help, it seems to become less frequent as time goes on. You know what I find helps? Laugh. Just cease to take them seriously. A woman appears on the news talking about immigration, and rather than flip my lid at her birdbrained argument, I just laugh at the clown. A guy cuts me off, and rather than give him the finger, I laugh at how goofy people can be on the road. Someone walks by, fixates on my eyes and puffs out their chest, trying to be tough and intimidating, and I just laugh. You have to be insecure and feel pretty small to try and be a thug. This doesn't always work, as I still have anger issues, but it does help to not think too much of them.

Also what helps is realizing that we are also irritating. I'm sure if I put my personal viewpoints on the news, i'd have people in a tissy as well. I'm not perfect; i've messed up behind the wheel, too. I'd not like to think i'm the kind of person who instigates trouble, but i've probably gotten under people's skin some way or another.

All in all, people don't really make much sense, and that includes me. If you look hard enough at anyone, you'll find at least one thing that makes you scratch your head. I think it best to not worry too much about it. People do as people do.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

10 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

You might want to read this about anger.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-anger.html

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

12 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Is the glory seekers. Those folk who seek attention as if they are so special. That they have a kind of hotline to God. I see them clearly now. People in church who strut around holier than thou, regarding their duties as readers or sidespersons as making them special. The people who certainly do good works but ensure everyone knows! The TV evangelists who go on and on about themselves. I cannot stand it!  Surely Jesus warned against exactly this.

Yes, indeed, in His Word, and in Truth,  Yahweh the Father and Jesus give VERY STRONG warnings,  including finally on judgment day to those who thought they "did so good":    Jesus says to them: you did not obey Me,  you did what you did "for show" (for appearances).   Be gone from Me, you workers of iniquity.

12 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Sharing Yahweh's Righteous Anger is what we are to do (He is not only Angry at the pride of men , actors pretending to be His disciples;  He condemns them) , as He Says in His Word:  Be Constantly Angry with Righteous Indignation !   (not of the flesh, nor of ourselves,  but HIS Anger),  

and let not the sun go down on this anger (deal with it as He Says, by prayer and/or action, BEFORE the sun goes down),

and sleep perfect peace, as Yahweh gives us His Beloved perfect rest/ sleep.  

Entirely different than "the anger of man"  which does not do the works of righteousness.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  268
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/27/1990

I share this anger toward such displays myself. Few things are worse than someone exalting themself as some sort of warrior for God when they so clearly lack humility. Drives people away. Drove me away from the Church for quite some time. As others here said though be careful with assumptions and avoid assuming you know their heart, and if you do confront them do so as biblically instructed. I empathize however believe me. :)