• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

Don't know if I posted this already but here's something I wrote about forgiveness.

Forgiveness

Confusion and hatred is what is bred when selfish thoughts and actions become habitual. The only guide in that kind of darkness, the only hope in that sort of oblivion of nothingness comes soely from your capacity to forgive others. If you don't forgive your not forgiven. The Lord teaches that the greatest commandment is to love others as yourself. When this is done then you fulfill the law. But what does it mean to love someone? To actually love someone for who they are, flaws and virtues alike? What does it mean to love like God loves? To love selflessly and relentlessly? I firmly believe that you cannot love properly if you don't forgive often and quickly.
    The Lord says to forgive others or you won't be forgiven. The doctrine of forgiveness is so essential to the christian life that its even part of the the Lords prayer. The easiest way to lock yourelf in a mental and spiritual prison is by focusing on yourself. What you have, what you don't have, what you need, what you've lost, what you've gained. It can be deceiving. There's nothing wrong with self-reflection. The book of proverbs is based off the self-reflections of a wise Jewish king. But there's a fine line between self-reflection and narcisism. Between an attitude of repentence and masochistic thought tendencies. To focus inwardly for too long is to disregard the needs of others. An essential part of being human is fellowship and friendship. If your not actively looking to help others then your only damaging yourself. Like putting a plant in a closet and expecting it to grow. It won't happen. The first step to becoming an effecient servant of Christ is to actively practice forgiveness.
    Matthew 5:38-42 says You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."" These teachings on revenge tell a great deal about how the Lord wants us to live our lives. I don't think anyone has the mental or spiritual capacity to follow this particular teaching without a firm grasp on what it means to forgive. The Lord also teaches that we should love those who persecute us or despitefully use us. Again, I don't believe that loving your enemy is possible without forgiveness. 
    Luke 17:3-4 says If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent,' you must forgive them.""" I love this particular scripture. It goes a long way to show exactly what the Lord expects from us as Christians. Notice how he doesn't leave room for compromise. If they repent, you must forgive. Forgiveness goes to show the love of God to a dark world whilst simultaneously keeping the fire and light of the spirit bright and powerful.
    Learn to understand the importance of forgiveness and learn to practice the art of forgiveness with everyone you meet under every circumstance. To do this from a pure heart will bring blessings unmeasured and spirtual peace that can't be compared with anything this world has to offer.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

21 hours ago, Absolem said:

he Lord teaches that the greatest commandment is to love others as yourself. When this is done then you fulfill the law

This is addressed to Christians who have already fulfilled the law in accepting jesus as lord and saviour.

The Lord says to forgive others or you won't be forgiven. The doctrine of forgiveness is so essential to the christian life that its even part of the the Lords prayer.

Yes forgiveness is a vital part of the Christian life, but you haven't reached the heart of forgiveness.

Luke 17:3-4 says If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent,' you must forgive them.""" I love this particular scripture. It goes a long way to show exactly what the Lord expects from us as Christians. Notice how he doesn't leave room for compromise. If they repent, you must forgive.

Here we have the forgotten and unremarked vital element of forgiveness. here we see love in action, powerfully restoring hurt souls.

Those essential words  " I am sorry."

Think back to when you became a Christian, what made it possible, but you're saying "I am sorry"

God does not forgive those who do not say them, and we do not have to either.

So what do we do with the situation and the feelings when someone will not or cannot say sorry.

We copy Jesus who when he was crucified, didn't forgive but handed his murders over to God to deal with and we have to do the same.

it is not Christian to appear in front of the press and to say that one forgives those who have ..... insert brutal crime that has hit the headlines, involving your family )

it might be thought to be Christian, but  Christian love is tough, forgiveness comes after one has said sorry and shown that it is meant.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

I always had the dilemma in wondering if we should forgive someone who isn't sorry. God doesn't so why should we? But I think the verse about going a mike when compelled and turning the other cheek answers as much. I think your correct in saying to hand them over to the one who judges in righteousness.

Blessings to you, thanks for reading.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

16 minutes ago, Absolem said:

But I think the verse about going a miLe when compelled and turning the other cheek answers as much.

It is not a sin for a soldier to compel you to carry his gear for a mile as written in Scripture.    So turning the other cheek is not pertinent for this.   It would be a sin , in fact,  to say that they sinned, concerning only this.

Father in heaven,  

many know not what they are doing today.

Forgive them, graciously,

and lead them to repentance,  in your unearned, unmerited, mercifulness and lovingkindness,  if you may do so, in your wisdom.

Amen.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,776
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, Absolem said:

I always had the dilemma in wondering if we should forgive someone who isn't sorry. God doesn't so why should we? But I think the verse about going a mike when compelled and turning the other cheek answers as much. I think your correct in saying to hand them over to the one who judges in righteousness.

Blessings to you, thanks for reading.

I forgive you for misspelling FORGIVENESS in the thread title, Absolem. You missed the second E but all is not lost. :doh:

6 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

I forgive you for misspelling FORGIVENESS in the thread title, Absolem. You missed the second E but all is not lost. :doh:

Perhaps he is learning (baby steps) the Hebrew Ways Of Thinking ?   Then it would be FRGVNSS !  :) (and much later would be ! SSNVGRF )

:)

Edited by simplejeff
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,167
  • Content Per Day:  1.22

1 hour ago, simplejeff said:

Perhaps he is learning (baby steps) the Hebrew Ways Of Thinking ?   Then it would be FRGVNSS !  :) (and much later would be ! SSNVGRF )

Simple Jeff, can you forgive? or has God given you the capacity of forgiveness?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,776
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, 1to3 said:

Simple Jeff, can you forgive? or has God given you the capacity of forgiveness?

Forgiveness is an act of volition. Our wills are engaged in transferring a gracious vibe from ourselves to applicable others. The Holy Spirit is available to help anyone struggling to engage in giving for cancelation of debts.

2Ti 2:14 Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers.

Pro 3:27 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in the power of your hand to do so.
Rom 13:8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,167
  • Content Per Day:  1.22

11 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Forgiveness

The question was not addressed to you unless you have two different accounts on Worthy.

Edited by 1to3