IGNORED

Is being a Mary in a world of Marthas running away from responsibility?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

P.S.  Try to spend as much time by yourself as you can.   Take longer coming home from work, spend some time in the bathroom reading, etc.   Maybe go down the street to the store to get an item?   Anything to lessen the time with the abuse.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  159
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1988

Thankyou everyone for your suggestions. Please pray for me.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

On 2/28/2019 at 5:17 PM, GerdaHannah said:

Or am I just overthinking everything like Martha, and should let go and let God?

Shalom GerdaHannah,

I understand your thinking here and the conclusion you got to. However, can I offer another interpretation of that scripture?

I think the lesson in the "Martha, Martha" story was directed to show that Mary's concerns and mind were set on the Lord and Martha's were over matters of the flesh (times, work and food). I think Jesus was saying to her that when your priorities are right, you won't hunger for things of the flesh. For it seems Mary didn't seem famished or even click that Mary MIGHT need help. She was "full" on the Messiah. Compare this to when Jesus told His disciples that he was no longer hungry after speaking with the Samaritan woman at the well, in John.

So, maybe another way to apply this to your situation could be like this...

• Don't be like Martha - who was concerned with big challenges, stresses, worries and hard work. Because what was it that she was actually trying to achieve and for who? 
  • Be like Mary - Fill your heart and mind with thoughts of Yahweh. Put the Word in your heart. And everything else will fall into place. As the Messiah said "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you".

It sounds like your in a difficult situation there. I can't fully appreciate it. But, if you don't let thoughts of frustration, anger and replays fill your mind and instead replace with thoughts of Him, love for Him and for His ways, the situation will probably lose power over you.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

Thankyou everyone. I am almost spent right now. I am stressed out enough to feel physically sick. I have a severe headache and feel nauseous all the time. All that is keeping me sane right now is repeating "Lord, Thy will be done". I just wish all this could end somehow, even if it means God must take my life for this horrible situation to end.

• Praying! 2

5 hours ago, GerdaHannah said:

Thankyou everyone. I am almost spent right now. I am stressed out enough to feel physically sick. I have a severe headache and feel nauseous all the time. All that is keeping me sane right now is repeating "Lord, Thy will be done". I just wish all this could end somehow, even if it means God must take my life for this horrible situation to end.

Dear GerdaHannah, I'm so terribly sorry you are suffering to the point of wanting to be dead.    I pray God will somehow make a way for you...either by the conversion of your husband and his mother or by some other means.

Although you have not mentioned suicide, and I hope you never reach that point, is there a suicide prevention phone service where you might call?   Perhaps they would know of some resources for you?   Also, perhaps actually talking with someone might help?

Thinking on other scripture verses will help, too.   Think of any comforting verses such as from the Psalms.

A thought just came to me....do you think your husband and his mother are actually trying to drive you out of the home?   You should read 1 Corinthians 7.... especially verses 13-15.  Verse 15 might especially apply to your situation: "But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart.  A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace." 

Please keep us updated.

Hi Debp, thankyou for your support. Do not worry about suicide, I will absolutely not do it. I do not want to throw away the exceedingly happy eternity God has for me for my current problems. Suicide is a no-no.

I think my husband and his mother might be trying to drive me out. When we bought the house we live in, I contributed a small part of the downpayment. So it could be that they do want me get out, but are unable to say it point blank. I really have no way of being sure unless they tell me. I tried talking to them about this, did not work. I wish for once they would tell me what is in their heart and what they really want.

I sense that God will end all this suffering soon if I just hold out, and everything will fall into place beautifully when that happens. It is just so hard to hold out.

I just wish there was someone from Toronto on worthyboards who would be able to help me. Its really hard being so lonely in this terrible situation.

Edited by GerdaHannah
  • Loved it! 1

9 hours ago, GerdaHannah said:

Hi Debp, thankyou for your support. Do not worry about suicide, I will absolutely not do it. I do not want to throw away the exceedingly happy eternity God has for me for my current problems. Suicide is a no-no.

I think my husband and his mother might be trying to drive me out. When we bought the house we live in, I contributed a small part of the downpayment. So it could be that they do want me get out, but are unable to say it point blank. I really have no way of being sure unless they tell me. I tried talking to them about this, did not work. I wish for once they would tell me what is in their heart and what they really want.

I sense that God will end all this suffering soon if I just hold out, and everything will fall into place beautifully when that happens. It is just so hard to hold out.

I just wish there was someone from Toronto on worthyboards who would be able to help me. Its really hard being so lonely in this terrible situation.

Are you anywhere near Ottawa?   If so, you might contact Britannia Baptist Church.   I used to be in contact at another forum with Pastor Terry Orchard who leads that church...at least I think he is still there.    He always reached out to his community of immigrants alot and would go to Africa on mission trips.

You have a good attitude....God bless and lead you.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 2/28/2019 at 5:17 PM, GerdaHannah said:

Hi,

I was recently reading up scripture about Mary and Martha, and realised that I was more like Martha. I wanted to serve the Lord with all my heart, and was constantly anxious about whether what I was doing was correct and holy.

Many of you may be aware of my situation from other posts. In a nutshell, I am constantly being scolded and criticised by my mother in law and husband. I am always stressed out thinking of whether I should talk back to them or keep quiet.

I realised that Jesus wanted me to be more like Mary, and bask in His presence. But somehow it seems like running away from my responsibilities. I will truly heal and be happy if I can just ignore their scoldings and enjoy the Lord's presence, but is it not my responsibility to stand up to being criticised all the time.

Or am I just overthinking everything like Martha, and should let go and let God?

That applies to that particular situation and has a hypothetical meaning.  It doesnt mean forget the duties you are required to do in life.