OCD and medication

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I am 61 and have suffered from OCD for years..long before I knew anything about it...I have done a lot of researchng and found out it is something we are born with...just a little hiccup in the way our brain is. If you took  a scan of someone with OCD and those without you can see it....so unless God heals me I will always have this thorn in my side...I finally went to a Christian therapist which was so helpful and explained it to me...for years I suffered in shame for horrible thoughts...you see the way the brain is we all have bad thoughts but for most people they come and go without a second thought but for people with OCD they stick there until the brain  decides to let it go...Our nature as is to fight them...which makes them grow and become stronger.. then comes the panic attacks and anxiety, depression and quilt from ever thinking them...this goes over and over..some people have other things like checking things over and over and washing of hands the list goes on and on.. I have a lot of them...with all that said the therapist said I would probably have good results it I took something...I am not against taking medicine I am just really scared of it...Does anyone on here have OCD and take zoloft? that is what they want to put me on...thanks...

Edited by diannemc
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I've never been on zoloft personally, but I've heard it described as a "mood stabilizer". My mother was on it for a while. I was too young to fully grasp what it was doing to her at the time, but I do know that she eventually came to abuse it. I've come to feel that psych meds are really an imperfect science. Some people they help, some people they mess up, others they don't do much for, and some have some vicious withdrawal symptoms. I'd encourage you to research them and pray. It might also be a good idea to make an agreement with some friends. If two or three feel like they're affecting your personality in a bad way then consider dropping the meds. Another thing I'll point out is that people aren't meant to be placed on psych meds indefinitely. Some of them are linked with liver damage, for example.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 2:55 PM, diannemc said:

I am 61 and have suffered from OCD for years..long before I knew anything about it...I have done a lot of researching and found out it is something we are born with...just a little hiccup in the way our brain is. If you took  a scan of someone with OCD and those without you can see it....so unless God heals me I will always have this thorn in my side...I finally went to a Christian therapist which was so helpful and explained it to me...for years I suffered in shame for horrible thoughts...you see the way the brain is we all have bad thoughts but for most people they come and go without a second thought but for people with OCD they stick there until the brain  decides to let it go...Our nature as is to fight them...which makes them grow and become stronger.. then comes the panic attacks and anxiety, depression and quilt from ever thinking them...this goes over and over..some people have other things like checking things over and over and washing of hands the list goes on and on.. I have a lot of them...with all that said the therapist said I would probably have good results it I took something...I am not against taking medicine I am just really scared of it...Does anyone on here have OCD and take zoloft? that is what they want to put me on...thanks...

When I changed employment in another state, my new doctor wanted to redo my anxiety med from Xanax.  Zoloft didn't work for me.  Buspar was the worst giving me extreme vertigo.  I've also used (Diazepam and others) all under doctor's care.  Diazapam works, but is way too strong for me and affected my balance.  Eventually, I found a doctor who put me back on Xanax.  I've been on low dose Xanax since 1986.  It helps me control the side effects from my epilepsy medicine besides treating my anxiety.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

On 3/1/2019 at 11:55 AM, diannemc said:

I am 61 and have suffered from OCD for years..long before I knew anything about it...I have done a lot of researchng and found out it is something we are born with...just a little hiccup in the way our brain is. If you took  a scan of someone with OCD and those without you can see it....so unless God heals me I will always have this thorn in my side...I finally went to a Christian therapist which was so helpful and explained it to me...for years I suffered in shame for horrible thoughts...you see the way the brain is we all have bad thoughts but for most people they come and go without a second thought but for people with OCD they stick there until the brain  decides to let it go...Our nature as is to fight them...which makes them grow and become stronger.. then comes the panic attacks and anxiety, depression and quilt from ever thinking them...this goes over and over..some people have other things like checking things over and over and washing of hands the list goes on and on.. I have a lot of them...with all that said the therapist said I would probably have good results it I took something...I am not against taking medicine I am just really scared of it...Does anyone on here have OCD and take zoloft? that is what they want to put me on...thanks...

I have had OCD for years as well. I know the suffering that goes with it. There are many,many people in this world with OCD. They just are not bad enough for it to interrupt their everyday life. So they do not need to see a doctor or go on medications. Yes, OCD is something we are born with.  One theory is that if someone suffers with many infections as an infant and young child it can trigger the disorder. But that is only one theory. I was born with FAS(fetal alcohol syndrome) so that can be a trigger as well. Celexa is another medication given for OCD. Have you ever read this book? It is rather old but you might enjoy reading it and relate.

51qupRLYaBL.jpg.636ed870c509de4db42e3d7d697294e8.jpg

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,269
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Actually Zoloft is an antidepressant that can be used to treat OCD.   I won't tell you whether to take it or not.   However, if you decide to try it, I believe your doctor can always help you to get off of it, if you decide you prefer no medication.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

You will only know if Zoloft will work for you if you try it. Why not discuss it with your doctor/psychiatrist and agree to take it for a trial period (this needs to be long enough for any beneficial effect to show).