• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

The big event in my life was when the Lord led me to repent of sins I was committing, and suddenly my life was transformed into something indescribably beautiful. Yet time after time, when I share my testimony, I am told that repentance has nothing to do with anything, that everything is by the grace of the Lord (suggesting to me they have no intention of repenting of their sin). Do they, then, intend to share heaven with people who are apt to murder or rob them when they aren’t looking?

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  267
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/27/1990

I have always thought repentance was VITAL to knowing the Lord myself. I will be frank, and no disrespect meant others, but the grace argument being thrown constantly at people makes me think that people just want to continue to live in sin after accepting God. I have seen it many times myself. If you never repent from your sins you cannot say you "know" Jesus now can you? Don't let them take away from your experience. It was at my darkest hour when I broke down and asked God for help that I recieved His love. But I had to repent and admit my own issues to do that. Yes technically it is only because of grace we are spared, that doesn't mean you stop praying for forgiveness when you sin and just do whatever you want. If someone does that I say they need to ask themselves whether or not they are saved as they so claim. After all not all that call the Lord Lord will be recognized by him no? Went off on a bit of a tangeant there my apologies, sometimes I go into rant mode XD. But in short, if you refuse to repent, you are a liar if you say you know Jesus.

Edited by Mozart's Starling
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

The false gospel includes all that say repentance is not necessary .....  many variations......

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,900
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, johnthebaptist said:

The big event in my life was when the Lord led me to repent of sins I was committing, and suddenly my life was transformed into something indescribably beautiful. Yet time after time, when I share my testimony, I am told that repentance has nothing to do with anything, that everything is by the grace of the Lord (suggesting to me they have no intention of repenting of their sin). Do they, then, intend to share heaven with people who are apt to murder or rob them when they aren’t looking?

Hi jtb username: Reformed Theology is really hung up on what is called Monergism in deferrence to Synergism 

QUOTE:

Monergism, which comes from a compound Greek word that means “to work alone,” is the view that God alone effects our salvation. This view is held primarily by Calvinistic and Reformed traditions and is closely tied to what is known as the “doctrines of grace.” Synergism, which also comes from a compound Greek word meaning “to work together,” is the view that God works together with us in effecting salvation. While monergism is closely associated with John Calvin, synergism is associated with Jacob Arminius, and his views have greatly shaped the modern evangelical landscape. Calvin and Arminius aren’t the creators of these views, but are the best-known proponents of Calvinism and Arminianism. Source: Monergism vs Synergism GotQuestions.Org

Take your pick but bear in mind Rom 2:4
(4)  Or despise you the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

The implication is that not knowing the goodness of God is an obstacle to repentance.

Since faith comes by hearing that results from a revelation of the Word of God, we are wise to acknowledge God as the author and finisher of our faith (Heb 12:2) and not claim credit for it ourselves.

However, freewill definitely is a dimension of our existence and God interacts with us in allowing our choices but also guiding us to His Will, that none should perish but all come to repentance.
2Pe 3:9
(9)  The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

I find the use of [repent] in scripture as specifically targeted at something to repent of.

A general repentance (of sins) is of course a good thing. But the Gospel of Grace is about placing

our spiritual focus beyond infractions of the Mosaic Law and not to be obsessed over (in some cases to the point

of psychosis).  I think of monks and flagellation, priests ripping robes, or worse church courts burning witches and homosexuals alive.

We can achieve blissful moments (usually in prayer and fasting) but our biggest focus should be on spreading the true Gospel

of Jesus Christ which deals with sin and the Law freeing us to perform our priestly ministries (that each one of us are called to) for 

the furtherance of that Gospel (to every creature in every generation).

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

"Repent of Sin."  This often-quoted phrase does not even occur in the Bible.  Most people are quite shocked to find that it does not appear in the Scriptures.  Nowhere does the Scripture use the phrase, "repent of sin" to be saved.  Scripture does say in Acts 20:21, "repentance toward God" ("change of mind", and "faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ").

Repentance is the translation of the Greek word "metanoia".  The literal meaning of "metanoia" is "a change of mind".  "Meta" means, "change".  "Noia" means "mind".  So, therefore, "meta-noia" means a "change of mind".  Before learning about metanoia, I am sure that you are already familiar with a Greek word with the prefix "meta".  That word is "metamorphosis".  "Meta" means "change", and "morphosis" means "form or structure".  This word metamorphosis is used to describe the change a caterpillar goes through to become a beautiful butterfly.  I am sure that you have studied about this change of form.  Repentance, therefore, (metanoia) is a change of mind.

This misuse of the word repentance has caused untold confusion among believers and unbelievers alike.  Satan, the author of confusion (I Corinthians 14:33), has delighted in this misuse of the word repentance.  One of the counterfeits Satan is using today is the misuse of the word repentance.  To insist upon repentance that in any sense includes a demand for a change of conduct either toward God or man is to add an element of works or human effort to faith.

Understanding the doctrine may relieve some of the confusion you or your friends may have had concerning repentance.  Here is a way to get a handle on it.  Remember this, "A person may 'repent' without 'believing', but a person can't 'believe' without 'repenting'."  A person may "repent" (change their mind) without "believing" (trusting Christ), but a person can't "believe" (trust in Christ) without "repenting" (having changed their mind).

Repentance is necessary for salvation, but keep it in mind that it means "a change of mind".  Dr. C. I. Scofield, in the Scofield Reference Bible (copyrighted in 1909) has the following footnote, "Repentance is the translation of a Greek word (metanoia-metanoeo) meaning 'to have another mind', 'to change the mind', and is used in the New Testament to indicate a change of mind in respect of sin, of God and of self.  This change of mind may, especially in the case of Christians who have fallen into sin, be preceded by sorrow (II Corinthians 7:8-11), but sorrow for sin, though it may 'work' repentance, is not repentance.  The son in Matthew 21:28, 29 illustrates true repentance.  Saving faith includes and implies that change of mind which is called repentance."  Dr. Scofield clearly points out that "saving faith" includes and implies that change of mind, which is called repentance.

One misunderstanding is to say that the word repentance must be used in order to be teaching repentance.  If that were true, we would have thrown out the gospel of John from the New Testament.  Think of this in the light of why John's gospel was written, "But these are written that you might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you might have life through His name (John 20:31)."

Repentance, you see, is taught in John 3:16.  A person can't believe (trust) in Christ as taught in John 3:16 without repenting (changing his mind) in the process.

"Repentance, as it relates to Christ, means to change our minds about Him, who He is and what He's done to provide forgiveness, and deliverance from our sins.  When we place faith in Jesus as having taken our place personally on the cross and borne the penalty due our sins, then we're automatically repenting, because we couldn't accept Him in this way without having had to change our minds in some way concerning Him.

Edited by Blood Bought 1953
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

The big event in my life was when the Lord led me to repent of sins I was committing, and suddenly my life was transformed into something indescribably beautiful.

HalleluYAH !   This is GOOD as JESUS SAYS !

4 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I am told that repentance has nothing to do with anything, that everything is by the grace of the Lord (suggesting to me they have no intention of repenting of their sin).

The false gospel includes all and any that say repentance is not necessary .....  many variations......

It is responsible for the destruction of many, potentially, on the wide road who stay there instead of repenting, instead of looking for and seeking the narrow road to life(Jesus).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

It is God's grace that sends the Holy Spirit to convict us of sin, righteousness and judgement.  

It is God's grace that allows our free will to resist His Spirit and refuse to repent or humble ourselves before Him and ask for help, allowing us to suffer in hell according to our wishes.  

Act 7:51  "You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you.

It is God's grace that provided His Son to die for our sins, the perfect Lamb of God Who takes away the sin of the world.  

1Ti 4:10  For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe

Eph 2:8  NKJV For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,  Eph 2:9  not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Act 8:22  “Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you.

Act 26:20  but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.

Repentance has been a part of the Gospel since day one.  Perhaps repentance from wickedness is not the same word as sin, but it it will do.  

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,181
  • Content Per Day:  1.22

Repentance and Confession

M

any of us have found ourselves repeatedly confessing the same sin to God, wondering why we can’t overcome it. At times like these, we feel trapped in Romans 7:15, “For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.” First John 1:9 assures us that if we confess our sins, God will forgive us, but merely confessing may not bring us victory. What is missing? What will help us get out of this cycle? The missing link is genuine repentance.

What is repentance?

Repentance is heartfelt sorrow for sin followed by a sincere commitment to forsake it and walk in obedience to Christ. It’s not merely feeling remorse or guilt but changing direction. It includes a recognition that sin is against almighty God and is utterly wrong. When we have truly repented, the result is a changed life. We forsake our former ways and return to the Lord (Isa. 55:7).

Repentance is essential for believers.

Sin does not fit in our lives because God has predestined that we “become conformed to the image of His Son” (Rom. 8:29). Whenever we sin, the indwelling Holy Spirit convicts us so we can confess and repent. We should never ignore, tolerate, accept, or practice what we know to be sinful. It not only offends God, but also hurts us.

What does confession mean?

Confession means agreeing with God that what we did was wrong. But that alone will not keep us from repeating it. That’s why repentance should always be a part of confession. We are called to live a sanctified life, one that is set apart for God and His purposes. Confession and repentance are an important part of sanctification.

When we live a sanctified life, we walk in obedience to Christ. However, according to 1 John 1:7-9, we deceive ourselves if we think we’ll never sin. That’s why we are told to confess our sins to God. Christ not only forgives us but continually works to cleanse us, making our lives different. He helps us put away the sin and turn back to Him in obedience (Col. 3:8).

fromDr. Stanley’s message, “The Missing Link,” 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

6 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

Don't worry. God will only take those who are true believers in Him. He knows everyone's heart. If a person is not truly repentant they can't be labeled as a born again Christian. They will not have a place in heaven. 

• Thumbs Up 1