• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

14 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

Do they, then, intend to share heaven with people who are apt to murder or rob them when they aren’t looking?

EXCERPT FROM REVELATION:

“Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates. 

Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

------

So how does one wash their robe? Is repentance of sin against God a part of the submission to Jesus  who is God? Is that not made possible by God's grace  alone? 

Sola scriptura - Sola Christus -Sola Gratia - Sola Fide - Soli Deo Gloria;  Has that not been demonstrated and fulfilled, displayed at Calvary upon the Cross of crucifixion of Jesus, and even as demonstrated in the fate of the thieves that were also crucified along with  our Lord God and personal savior Jesus?

------

More excerpts:

Acts 2:38 

And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 

Matthew 3:2

“Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Matthew 3:8

Bear fruit in keeping with repentance.

Matthew 3:11

“I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Matthew 4:17

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Matthew 11:20

[ Woe to Unrepentant Cities ] Then he began to denounce the cities where most of his mighty works had been done, because they did not repent.

Matthew 11:21

“Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.

Matthew 12:41

The men of Nineveh will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.

Mark 1:4

John appeared, baptizing in the wilderness and proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Mark 1:15

and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

Mark 6:12

So they went out and proclaimed that people should repent.

Luke 3:3

And he went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Luke 3:8

Bear fruits in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham.

Luke 5:32

I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”

Luke 10:13

[ Woe to Unrepentant Cities ] “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.

Luke 11:32

The men of Nineveh will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.

Luke 13:1

[ Repent or Perish ] There were some present at that very time who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.

Luke 13:3

No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Luke 13:5

No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”

Luke 15:7

Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

Luke 15:10

Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Luke 16:30

And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’

Luke 17:3

Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him,

Luke 17:4

and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”

Luke 24:47

and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

Acts 2:38

And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

(Credit excerpts to The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

14 hours ago, Mozart's Starling said:

I have always thought repentance was VITAL to knowing the Lord myself. I will be frank, and no disrespect meant others, but the grace argument being thrown constantly at people makes me think that people just want to continue to live in sin after accepting God.

The grace argument presented in the Bible record of Paul's letter to the church at Rome  and by logical extension to all that read and hear with enablement of and by God the Holy Spirit certainly declares strongly otherwise.

Conversely: One might say of those that want some credit for their turning to God, that they think they save themselves and that Jesus  the Holy Spirit and God the father simply  assist them. That statement too is not likely correct.

For I suspect and it is only a suspicion that most  of us knew nothing of either idea when we  did become enlightened to awareness that yes Jesus is  my Lord my savior He is God come in the flesh to die for my sins to save me. In the moment of devine revelation enabled by God the Holy Spirit I don't think a one of us says; now is it that I have decided and God has helped or is it God has  brought me to my own turning about to Him? Each  of us just marvels in an excitement never known previously at the experience of our own salvation.

Then somewhere along the line we each, or at least many, seem to get involved in discussions then arguments and then even a pious sense of some distain for those that do not reach the same conclusions regarding  the mechanics ( or recipe )  of what God did through the agency of God the Holy Spirit and we  want to be expert at what parts or ingredients went into the "sausage" making and in what order. Soon brotherhood and sisterhood is strained over what was not even part of the great experience each of us had when were were saved out from destruction to come.

Each,  or at least many, starts to play  the one up game- I'm one up on you brother , I know something you don't, you are wrong,  I am right. Instead of greeting each other with a holy kiss we argue how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

Personally, I just marvel at the first experience, the moment I was made aware of my Lord Jesus and was taken in to my salvation, to be  praising God. I don't much care if I gave the Cub Scout salute the Boy Scout salute an adult military salute,  or just  hit my forehead with a shout of joy at the awareness of God.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/27/1990

43 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

The grace argument presented in the Bible record of Paul's letter to the church at Rome  and by logical extension to all that read and hear with enablement of and by God the Holy Spirit certainly declares strongly otherwise.

Conversely: One might say of those that want some credit for their turning to God, that they think they save themselves and that Jesus  the Holy Spirit and God the father simply  assist them. That statement too is not likely correct.

For I suspect and it is only a suspicion that most  of us knew nothing of either idea when we  did become enlightened to awareness that yes Jesus is  my Lord my savior He is God come in the flesh to die for my sins to save me. In the moment of devine revelation enabled by God the Holy Spirit I don't think a one of us says; now is it that I have decided and God has helped or is it God has  brought me to my own turning about to Him? Each  of us just marvels in an excitement never known previously at the experience of our own salvation.

Then somewhere along the line we each, or at least many, seem to get involved in discussions then arguments and then even a pious sense of some distain for those that do not reach the same conclusions regarding  the mechanics ( or recipe )  of what God did through the agency of God the Holy Spirit and we  want to be expert at what parts or ingredients went into the "sausage" making and in what order. Soon brotherhood and sisterhood is strained over what was not even part of the great experience each of us had when were were saved out from destruction to come.

Each,  or at least many, starts to play  the one up game- I'm one up on you brother , I know something you don't, you are wrong,  I am right. Instead of greeting each other with a holy kiss we argue how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

Personally, I just marvel at the first experience, the moment I was made aware of my Lord Jesus and was taken in to my salvation, to be  praising God. I don't much care if I gave the Cub Scout salute the Boy Scout salute an adult military salute,  or just  hit my forehead with a shout of joy at the awareness of God.

I apologize for coming off as bitter. I suppose my main point is complacency is a dangerous thing ultimately. Perhaps I am wrong and should be happy in our salvation. Honestly I have feared since I was a child I would somehow lose it. Though that fear has weakened as I have grown older it is possible it still colors my views on certain subjects. 

Edited by Mozart's Starling

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

I think if we confess our sins to Jesus & if we are honest & sincere about it he will forgive & cleanse us,  I've been struggleing with a very controversial subject lately & I've had to really pray about it & confess it a lot of times :( repentance happens when we change the direction of what we are doing & stop doing it :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

The big event in my life was when the Lord led me to repent of sins I was committing, and suddenly my life was transformed into something indescribably beautiful. Yet time after time, when I share my testimony, I am told that repentance has nothing to do with anything, that everything is by the grace of the Lord (suggesting to me they have no intention of repenting of their sin). Do they, then, intend to share heaven with people who are apt to murder or rob them when they aren’t looking?

There you have just experienced repentance, if we take the definition of repentance given to us by Blood Bought and the list given by Neighbor we can understand the meaning of repentance, ...which is what you  have described in the first sentence of your post.

I doubt if you have ever served in the military, but those that have understand the true meaning of repentance, it's one of the first things we learned, ...first was, ...we were no longer free, we belonged to the United States Government, if we disobeyed an order we could be imprisoned and even sentenced to death, so we changed our mind, second thing is we learned to march in order and rank, gunny would lead us calling out cadence and giving commands: when to go right, go left, turn around and stop. the command for turn around is repentance, which means to stop marching in the present direction, make a 180° turn and start marching in the opposite direction, we were repenting. 

That is what you have told us, you stopped committing the sin you were practicing and and turned 180° and started walking in cadence and rank, in righteousness and joy, with your Lord.

Using the military again as a reference, ...we were taught when to eat, how to eat, when to sleep, when to wake up, how to make our bed, how to fold our clothes, how to brush our teeth, how to use the toilet, ...how to hold a rifle, how to fire the rifle and hit our target, how to hold our knife, how to sharpen our knife, how to use our knife, ...basically, how to be an efficient, useful and trustworthy solder for the US Government.

So it is when we come to Jesus, which is what you have done, you/we are not in the military, au contraire, we have been bought as slaves off of an auction block,  not to be slaves by the Master that bought us, but rather to be set completely free, we are free!

However, the Bible tells us we are in a war, a spiritual war and we quickly find we are not equipped to fight it (the reason why you have asked this question), ...so the most intelligent thing to do is return to the Master that bought us and ask Him to be our Lord, become His bond slave, by our own free will, and allow Him to take His rightful place on the throne of our hearts to lead, guide and direct us by His Holy Spirit.

May I humbly suggest you start reading, if you haven't already, through your Bible  from Genesis to Revelation in a year, there are many plans available online, I, and many others have found in doing this we are where we are in the Word, that is, what we are experiencing in life is answered by the Lord in where we are currently in our daily reading, ...our Lord speaks to us through His Word every day, ...second, may I humbly suggest you find a church, a true body of believers, where the pastor is teaching through the Bible book by book , chapter by chapter and verse by verse, there also you will find the Church is where it's at  in the Word, just like in our daily lives.

Lord bless brother

p.s. I lived in Gardnerville for several years before the Lord called me here   

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

18 hours ago, Mozart's Starling said:

I have always thought repentance was VITAL to knowing the Lord myself.

Amen.  It is frequently spoken by Jesus ,  everywhere He went and His Word goes today.

• Thumbs Up 1