• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom brothers & sisters,

I have a mysterious verse today for your consideration...

In Matthew 27:51-53, we get some interesting information that is not included in the other Gospels, at the time of the Messiah's crucifixion:

"Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split, and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many."

Now, it seems that Matthew was either speaking prophetically of the dead saints rising or of an event accompanying the Messiah's resurrection, because he writes "coming out of the graves after His resurrection"

So what do you think?

1. Is Matthew speaking in the way of a prophet - seeing the end times? If so, is the earthquake also the big end times earthquake in revelation? If so, what then did the centurion see to convince him Yahushua (Jesus) was the Son of God in verse 54? 

2. Or, did the dead saints raise on the third day with the Messiah and ascend with the clouds with Him? If not, where did they die the second time and why wasn't it recorded anywhere in history or in Acts/Paul's letters?

A fascinating topic, I'm sure you'll agree. There is no right or wrong answer that we can prove either way.  But I would just like to read your opinions and insight on the matter.

Love & Shalom

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

1 Corinthians 15:3-8 (KJV)
3  For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4  And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
5  And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6  After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
7  After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
8  And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

"the above five hundred brethren" 

you might think it was a special selection of people who got to see Jesus after the resurrection.

It doesn't mention the women who saw him after his resurrection. So there could have been women with the above five hundred brethren.

They weren't with the special 120 in the upper room. But most likely in the 3,000 that received the holy spirit.

Sooo  could the above five hundred be the Matthew 27 OT worthies resurrection group ?

The OT saints did look for a resurrection, they lacked in coming short of the promise.Heb.11

Everybody has to have Jesus to make to heaven including the OT saints, so they would have to hear and except him, so when would that be ?

Just a thought 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

Fascinating passage I've wondered over for years :)  An amazing account and amazing it seems to receive so little attention in the rest  of Scripture.  Here's the only passage I've found so far that seems to refer to it at all:

But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His comingThen comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power.

It's intriguing to me to note, that the translators added the punctuation and they had to add that in accord with their best understanding  of the meaning.  If one  more comma were added between "Christ" and "the" in that first half of that first sentence, the meaning totally changes  :)

So, I guess we'll have to see.  But I see the potential for an understanding that a noteable number of OT saints were raised on that third day, and accounted as part of the "firstfruits" offering given as a type in OT worship.  I notice that firstfruit offering is a SHEAF...not a single stalk of grain.   The firstfruits are part of a larger "harvest" broken into three parts.  Firstfruits, main harvest,  and "gleanings" (that left in the corners of a field for the poor).

All of which would fit just fine in the Biblical witness of the two resurrections given in much detail in Rev 20.   Jesus  is obviously the first of the firstfruits, first born of the dead, only BEGOTTEN Son and  preeminent in all things.  But I think that text leaves room for understanding more than one person was involved in fulfilling the whole picture of the firstfruits offering.

interesting topic in any case :)

• Brilliant! 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80

22 minutes ago, Jostler said:

interesting topic

Shalom Jostler

Thanks for the reply, it was a very interesting read!

I've always tried to picture it but can't imagine how it must have been for the residents in Jerusalem. 

We'll know one day I guess and it's sure to be eye-opening. No pun intended. 

Love & Shalom 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

4 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom Jostler

Thanks for the reply, it was a very interesting read!

I've always tried to picture it but can't imagine how it must have been for the residents in Jerusalem. 

We'll know one day I guess and it's sure to be eye-opening. No pun intended. 

Love & Shalom 

Well it would be interesting if He used someone to bring more light to this :)   I have long suspected He intends to, and someone here just might have it ready to drop straight into this thread :)

I'll be eagerly watching :)

For we know in part and we prophesy in part.

The corporate Body knows a lot more than any particular member alone ever will.

Edited by Jostler
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

The resurrection of the believers is only mentioned in Matthew. This resurrection actually occurred after the resurrection of Jesus. Since Jesus is the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep 1 Cor 15:20. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/4/2019 at 6:46 AM, Tzephanyahu said:

1. Is Matthew speaking in the way of a prophet - seeing the end times? If so, is the earthquake also the big end times earthquake in revelation? If so, what then did the centurion see to convince him Yahushua (Jesus) was the Son of God in verse 54? 

Matthew wrote of events after they happened, so I think of the resurrection of those dead as a good news report.

The earthquake would have been in connection with the resurrection of the dead.

The centurion could have heard the conversations of the people at any time during the ministry of Jesus.. or while he stood before the officials before he was taken to be crucified.. and while Jesus was on the cross, at that moment, he believed.

2. Or, did the dead saints raise on the third day with the Messiah and ascend with the clouds with Him? If not, where did they die the second time and why wasn't it recorded anywhere in history or in Acts/Paul's letters?

The dead saints were raised up with Jesus as a fulfillment of what Jesus taught on the subject.

Each author of the 4 gospels did write of events that were not written by the other three. For instance the author of the book of John is in many ways different than what the other 3 wrote, yet it's also similar.

The saints that were raised from the dead had their immortal bodies like Jesus, therefore they don't die again. They either are or could be called the first-fruits of what we call "the rapture" (1 Thes.4:13-17; 1 Cor.15:51-57) that every Christian will experience in due time.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Content Count:  7,776
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

Shalom brothers & sisters,

In Matthew 27:51

"Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split, and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many."

Carefull reading; 

The even of the veil and the darkness that fall for three hours and the earthquake happened at the time of tetelested, the time Jesus left this world and descend for three days to the place of the dead. Begining with Bossom of Abraham... and continued all the way to the heart of the earth, for he must descend to the very low before he ascent to the very High....

In this passage in Mathew we see many inconsistencies with the actual happenings of the real events surrounding the death and resurection of Jesus Christ. And many other scriptures surrounding to what happened to the dead after they die, not only for the seed of Abraham but for the rest of the world BEFORE JESUS CHRIS MADE EVERYTHING NEW. 

We understand that Jesus was raised from the dead three days after his death...

And he was the first one to be raised from the dead with the Life in him...

And his body was still preserved and that he enter his body...

We know that Mathew is not a witness of this specific events he discribes in 57: 17...

He is the witness of the  events that led to the death of Jesus Christ and to the earthquake and the darkness that fell on Jerusalem...

"And the rocks were split", this he may have witness  as anyone could see the results of the earthquake. 

But still there is not specific description to correctly evaluate and discribe what is "the rocks were split", this description is very vague and leaves a lot to the imagination which tents to exaggerate and it is different from person to person...

THE NEXT ONE....IS

and the "graves were open", because we have the earthquake and the strength of the earthquake which can disturbed the stoned memorials on the cemeteries...

What is meant by "graves", this is not clear, what the meant by "graves" that time...

Is the word shepulches...

In any case it seems to impress that the dead were place in some short of a stoned box, with the lead on the surfface of the ground, and not the way we do, that we burry the dead in a coffin nine feet under the ground and we put a memmorial in place... 

There is nothing to mention about those who did not died in Jerusalem butcin other distance places where there was not an earthquake. 

The POINT IS THAT THIS event " the resurection of the dead", is described to have taken place at the time of the earthquake at the same time as Jesus death...

And it misplaces the dead seed of Abraham away from the Bossom of Abraham...

And at the time Jesus start his descent in the place of the dead, and as his first place to go is to his children "as the time that he was their Lord God", in the place he had set aside for Abraham and his descendants, the Bossom of Abraham, and that's where Abraham received his children " , 

As we know God had seperated Abraham from the rest of the world, not only in this life but also in the After life. Till his coming there as he had promised them and as the CHRIST will give them the Life and take them to the Heavenly Inheritance for the children with Life...

Now, it seems that Matthew was either speaking prophetically of the dead saints rising or of an event accompanying the Messiah's resurrection, because he writes "coming out of the graves after His resurrection".

Mathew describes that the dead coming out if the graves that this event took place At the time of the death of Jesus Christ..at the time of the earthquake and the darkness and the veil' split.

So what do you think?

A fascinating topic, I'm sure you'll agree. There is no right or wrong answer that we can prove either way.  But I would just like to read your opinions and insight on the matter.

Love & Shalom

Edited by Your closest friendnt
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Content Count:  7,776
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

When the disciples first heard of the resurection of Jesus Christ, they imidiatly run to the place where he was place after his death and enter the tomb and found only the ribbons of the burrial clothing they had rap Jesus body with...

And to their surprise they also found the facial clothing folded and put neatly on the side in the same unique way Jesus folded the kiffoman at the Passover, likely leaving a message to them that indeed he was raised from the dead and folded the face cloth in this specific way only him and they knew. 

Perhaps this unique way of folding the kiffoman it was introduced to them at the last Passover, so Jesus could use it for identifying himself to them that he is alive. 

This event raises questions about the events in Mathew 27; about the dead coming out of the graves....

We do not have testimony that the people went checking the contents of the graves and the look to found no bones in them....or in other places where others had died as the place of Abraham and Isaac and the others in a foreign lands. 

Too many questions....

And we do not have any accusations from the leaders that the disciples or some followers of Jesus had stolen the bones or what ever had remained from, as to support this kind of claim....and their were left only bones, and what ever items were burry them with....

Their was not anything left to be raised from the dead "earthly", only their spiritual man who was not in the grave anyway or in the sea or left out in the open or burned and the wild animals, and the stories of cannibalism and so on.

There many questions to be answer...

We know that before Jesus the people had witness the resurection of Lasarous after four days a quite longer period than the resurection of Jesus Christ....

So when the Gospel is preach that Jesus was raised from the dead after three days but in hours a lot less than 72 because it was three overlaping days that Jesus was dead and not 3 times 24....

So people having witnessing the resurection of Lasarous that happen in the presence of many will not question the resurection of Jesus CHRIST. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,192
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/12/1957

Many early church writers who either knew the Apostles or their disciples wrote that these resurrected saints of Matthew 27 were taken to the Father by Yeshua.

It also ties into the appointed times of Leviticus 23.  Specifically the harvest.

The first fruits of the harvest were taken by the High Priest and presented to YHVH.  When Yeshua arose, notice that He told Mary not to touch or handle Him as He had not yet ascended to the Father.  As our High Priest, He would be required to remain ceremonially pure until He had presented the first fruits of the harvest to the Father.   No one would be allowed to touch Him before He accomplished that.

While Yeshua is indeed the first fruits of those who have died, He is not the first fruits of the Harvest of souls.   He is our High Priest.

The harvest of Leviticus 23 is in 3 stages.... the first fruits, the main harvest, then the gleanings of the fields.

I am convinced that the first fruits harvest is Matthew 27.  The main harvest will be when the dead and living in the Body of Yeshua are gathered prior to the tribulation period.  The gleanings harvest is the tribulation period when folks are martyred for their coming to faith in Yeshua.

it is all debatable I know.  We probably have much of it wrong.  We will all find out one day when someone like Paul Harvey tells us "the rest of the story" when we are with the Lord.

• Thumbs Up 1