• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

47 minutes ago, OldCoot said:

Many early church writers who either knew the Apostles or their disciples wrote that these resurrected saints of Matthew 27 were taken to the Father by Yeshua.

Shalom brother,

Thanks for the reply.

That's very interesting. Do you have the source of these early church records as that is likely to be the answer I was looking for.

Love & Shalom

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,192
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/12/1957

5 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom brother,

Thanks for the reply.

That's very interesting. Do you have the source of these early church records as that is likely to be the answer I was looking for.

Love & Shalom

Shalom, and might I add since it is Friday... Shabbat Shalom.

Thankfully, Dr. Norman Geisler did the heavy lifting on this issue.  

http://normangeisler.com/the-early-fathers-and-the-resurrection-of-the-saints-in-matthew-27/

Edited by OldCoot
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

23 minutes ago, OldCoot said:

Shabbat Shalom

Shabbat Shalom brother! 

Excellent, thank you very much for the link. That'll be my evening read. 

Again, thank you for your input! 

Love & Shalom 

24 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shabbat Shalom brother! 

Excellent, thank you very much for the link. That'll be my evening read. 

Again, thank you for your input! 

Love & Shalom 

Most welcome.  Enjoy. Dr. Geisler did a number of thesis papers on the Matthew 27 resurrection.  Just do a search online using his name and Matthew 27 and you will get several hits.

Edited by OldCoot
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Have you read in the OT about Elijah raising a child from the dead with the power of God? And Jesus resurrected Lazarus, and Jairius' daughter, and a young man the only son of a widow. I think when Jesus Christ was born on earth, He brought the divine power of life with him. The power of the resurrection was already with him. He died on the cross as an act of sacrifice to pay for our sins. I have read that part of Matthew about the resurrection of the OT saints. Perhaps the Lord wanted to use them to spread the gospel. I honestly don't know. When I am in heaven I look forward to sitting at Jesus' feet and learning from Him all the things of the Bible I do not understand. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

14 hours ago, heavensflower said:

Perhaps the Lord wanted to use them to spread the gospel.

It is plausible.  These saints went into Jerusalem and appeared too many.   I would imagine that was a serious wake up call to those that saw them. It likely contributed to so many coming to faith in Yeshua on the following Shavuot (Pentecost).  If I had been there, I know it would have caused my belly button to pucker up if I saw resurrected saints appearing.  I saw a lot of dead when I was in the military, and if most of them came back to life in front of me, I am not sure how I would react.  I think scared to death is a mild description.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,776
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

On 3/4/2019 at 6:46 AM, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom brothers & sisters,

I have a mysterious verse today for your consideration...

In Matthew 27:51-53, we get some interesting information that is not included in the other Gospels, at the time of the Messiah's crucifixion:

"Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split, and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many."

Now, it seems that Matthew was either speaking prophetically of the dead saints rising or of an event accompanying the Messiah's resurrection, because he writes "coming out of the graves after His resurrection"

So what do you think?

1. Is Matthew speaking in the way of a prophet - seeing the end times? If so, is the earthquake also the big end times earthquake in revelation? If so, what then did the centurion see to convince him Yahushua (Jesus) was the Son of God in verse 54? 

2. Or, did the dead saints raise on the third day with the Messiah and ascend with the clouds with Him? If not, where did they die the second time and why wasn't it recorded anywhere in history or in Acts/Paul's letters?

A fascinating topic, I'm sure you'll agree. There is no right or wrong answer that we can prove either way.  But I would just like to read your opinions and insight on the matter.

Love & Shalom

We need to look at the strength of this descriptive event, check the reliability of the story. 

I do not question that Jesus gave life to the dead before him...and he tool them to their Heavenly abode, " he took captivity captive".

It was foretold to Abraham, and to David at the least....

But lets look at the text...

The earthquake took place together with the darkness that lasted three hours. At the exact time of Jesus death...

And that's the time the veiled was split from top to bottom, when Jesus said "tetelested", the end of the old Mosaic system.

The time is coming that Neither here, nor in Jerusalem you shall worship God, but only in spirit and in truth", 

Also the three hours of darkness signifies that the world for the first time and never again is going to be without the light of the world, without the creator of the world for three days. 

Without him the world is in total darkness, it also has to do something telling us who Jesus was and some of the things he did. 

As when in Egypt the time total darkness fell upon all the Land, there was light in the Hebrews homes, He was that light before he enter our world. 

In this examble also Egypt is the underworld the place of the dead, where the light descended and give his light his people , who were waiting for his comming, and not only for them but to everyone down there who believed in him , because he died to give his light to everyone who believed in him...

As in "out of Egypt will come the CHRIST", talking about the resurection of Jesus Christ, 

The veil was torned at the death of Jesus and not at the resurection time...

Perhaps they knew about the veil being torned and the did not payed attention at those details, but correctly states that at the time of the resurection the veil was torn. 

The other thing is that Jesus found the dead in the heart of the earth, in the Bossom of Abraham, that's. Where his people, the people of the Lord. Were gather at the time of their death, 

Because the Lord had seperated his people not only on earth from the rest of the world, but he also he seperated and gave them their own place after they died, setting them apart from the dead of the rest of the world. 

In the text he puts them asleep in their graves, describing the whole event not in the way it happened, but in a way to reflect the author's understanding of these matters, and his own expectations of what will happened to him. 

Describing that the people leaped out of their graves not the way they had burried them mummified, but with full atired and with their bodies as they were when they died. 

Like there was not not any decay...

Yet there were not any reports of cemeteries being vandalize and that the bones were missing. 

The languish "leap out", any way the graves were full of their bones...

Their resurection was spiritual and not phycical....

• Thanks 1

You must not have read the research that Dr. Norman Geisler did on the issue. The link for that is posted above.   Geisler laid out the criteria both internally and externally regarding the text and determined that the event was historical, literal, and accurate.  No mystical / spiritual event.  Just like Yeshua's resurrection was a physical one.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,776
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

23 hours ago, OldCoot said:

You must not have read the research that Dr. Norman Geisler did on the issue. The link for that is posted above.   Geisler laid out the criteria both internally and externally regarding the text and determined that the event was historical, literal, and accurate.  No mystical / spiritual event.  Just like Yeshua's resurrection was a physical one.

To properly and carefully examine this passage. We need to understand what happened to the seed of Abraham after they died...

Not only before Jesus Christ died but also after his death and resurection. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

14 hours ago, Your closest friendnt said:

To properly and carefully examine this passage. We need to understand what happened to the seed of Abraham after they died...

Not only before Jesus Christ died but also after his death and resurection. 

your language  is confusing me.  Jesus IS the "Seed"

can you clarify?

• Thumbs Up 1