• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

Good afternoon everyone, 

I hope that you have had a good start to your new week. The girls were off school yesterday, so today kind of feels like Monday to me. They have a two and a half day week this week and are off again. So I thought I would try get caught up a bit here today.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to read and respond. I really do appreciate it and love that we can learn from one another. 

In conversation with various people over the last couple weeks, the topic has come up that we need to speak up more than we do at times.

This morning I got a message, from a friend, saying she has been away and visiting with a cousin. While she has been there, her cousin gave his heart to the Lord. This brought me back to the conversation, when we do we speak up about things that we truly care about, whether it be telling others about the Lord or giving our honest answers to discussions when our opinion may vary greatly.

I know that some will approach anyone from family to strangers, and right away try and convince them that they are wrong. And maybe in some cases it works.

I personally have never found arguing a very helpful way of convincing a person that they need to change, or even a tool that makes them think that they need to change.

I know of someone had who created a signature message that was automatically added to the end of his work email; so it was there on any message sent out, it gave reference to God. He was asked to please remove it, which he did.

Last week one of the girls were so happy when she came back from art, saying that one of their teachers had quoted a saying, who, to others was just a piece of wisdom. She really wanted to let her teacher know that she had jus quoted something from the Bible.

I would love to hear what experiences you have had or maybe even experienced. What worked for you and perhaps what didn't.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,276
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

My thoughts go to Christians who are former Muslims, still living in Muslim countries.   We have a member in this situation....he lives in Saudi Arabia.   No churches allowed, no speaking of Jesus, no fellowship.   He must remain silent even to his parents of his faith in Christ.   All I can think of is to pray....then if an opportunity to speak of Christ seems led of the Holy Spirit, then to do so.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

17 hours ago, Annette said:

or giving our honest answers to discussions when our opinion may vary greatly.

Shalom Annette,

With regards to what I quoted above, I think we should always do this amongst our spiritual family. It's crucial for growth, refinement and witness - for both the one who questions and the one answers.  Doing it without pride, aggression and division seems to be the real issue unfortunately.

In terms of sharing with the world, I have quite an unorthodox view I suppose.  Rather than preach to people, witness to them or catch them in a conversation to lead to the Gospel, I simply - be and do. 

The Messiah taught us to be like a light on a stand for everyone to see.  I can only assume He meant that if we act like Him and do good and return love instead of hate, that we will appeal to the world (those that He has called). That the world might think "I want what he's got! why is he so happy and not troubled? Maybe there is something behind this Christianity business after all".

Consider as well how the Messiah taught to do good privately so that the Father can bless you openly (the "openly" part only appears in the Textus Receptus version). Isn't that interesting! Rather than the Father wanting us to let our good deeds be shown publicly, he would rather us do it in secret and then, unbeknown to the world, we are blessed in all we do. In such a scenario, the world could only think "Maybe there God is real.. Maybe this Jesus can help me too... If it isn't real, why do they seem so blessed?".

As for preaching to the world, consider this situation...

You're in a bar and you're watching a lady play a beautiful piano piece. It's effortless, wonderful and very moving. Your heart has been touched and you even imagine yourself up there also playing the piece! The pianist catches you watching and comes over to you at once. She says "Have you ever played the Piano before? If you felt a stirring in your heart, it might be that the Piano is calling to you. Here take this tract on how to play the Piano. We're going to have a meeting about Pianos next week, you are welcome to come along. You're life will change for the better."

Wouldn't that be uncomfortable? Couldn't it even turn you off the piano or wanting to speak with other pianists again about learning it?  Truly, in the same way some people don't want to become a Christians because they think it means you have to do "that". They don't want to be a religious "cold-caller", and the idea keeps many away from the Kingdom.

Don't get me wrong, I am not downplaying evangelism. But, the older I get, the more I'm starting to think that it's an office of some believers who have the Spiritual gift for it (for example, Arthur Blessitt).  For other Christians can do poorly when they evangelise and even do more damage than good at times.  

As far as quoting Bible passages in email signatures, I think there isn't much merit to it unless emailing another believer. I don't think any non-believer will go "Ooo, what's that verse about, let me look it up.... wow, there truly is a God! I must send an email back saying I have given my heart to the Lord!" No.  In fact, I think they will likely think "Oh, another Bible-Nut.  Man, if becoming a Christian means you need to add stuff like that on your signature... I'm out."

Therefore, I guess what I'm saying is I think it's better to not speak, but live as a light for Him.  If you are asked, then respond with joy, love, patience and understanding - adapting your communication to the person you speak with, without compromising your character.  If Yahweh has chosen them and moves their heart, they will keep coming back to you to ask more. I think people find such a response more approachable.  If you have the gift for evangelising, then preach, teach and shout! If you aren't sure, then live and do as an example of what the evangelist preaches.

I don't know if that makes much sense ?. Hopefully that helps someone though. 

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Therefore, I guess what I'm saying is I think it's better to not speak, but live as a light for Him.  If you are asked, then respond with joy, love, patience and understanding - adapting your communication to the person you speak with, without compromising your character.  If Yahweh has chosen them and moves their heart, they will keep coming back to you to ask more. I think people find such a response more approachable.  If you have the gift for evangelising, then preach, teach and shout! If you aren't sure, then live and do as an example of what the evangelist preaches.

Greetings Tzephanyahu,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share. You did share so much, and I do appreciate you sharing. I do think that some of these topics do need to be out there to give people a chance to think about and ponder over. 

I will definitely come back and read what you have shared. I do think that it is important how we live our lives so that there is something different about us. And consider if our thoughts and actions are bringing a light. 

I will be thinking about the illustration you have about the piano player for a while.

God bless.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, naominash said:

Often I either say too much or not enough. It's good if the Holy Spirit leads. 

Hi Naomi, good to hear from you. I have seen it go both ways, where someone thinks that they are helping and end up doing more harm than good, but I have also seen where speaking up changes someone's life.

I know that a topic like this can have so many different responses to it, and I think it is great that people are willing to share. 

14 hours ago, Debp said:

My thoughts go to Christians who are former Muslims, still living in Muslim countries.   We have a member in this situation....he lives in Saudi Arabia.   No churches allowed, no speaking of Jesus, no fellowship.   He must remain silent even to his parents of his faith in Christ.   All I can think of is to pray....then if an opportunity to speak of Christ seems led of the Holy Spirit, then to do so.

Thanks for taking the time to share Debp. It is so easy to get involved in our own world and forget what others are going through. I definitely think that a lot can be said for how our actions can have an impact on others. God bless.

17 hours ago, SelahSong said:

In all seriousness, one day soon, any of us might be called by our Father to let the Holy Spirit speak through us the most important message ever spoken! Mark 13:11 tells us: “But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.”

-Selah:emot-heartbeat:

Hi Selah,

I agree, we never know when we will have an opportunity to speak up. And I guess the question remains if we are put in a situation where we can speak up, will we?

Thanks for sharing.

God bless.

19 hours ago, PromisesPromises! said:

The first thing that popped into my mind was the first verse from a very familiar old hymn:

Take time to be holy; speak oft with thy LORD./  Abide in Him always, and feed on His word./ Make friends of God’s children; help those who are weak./ Forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.

Hi Promises,

Good to hear from you. Thank you for taking the time to share. I do think you share a good message to all of us, that we intentionally take time to allow our lives to be influenced by His Word and abide in Him. I think it makes so much difference in how we view a situation, others and even ourselves when we have spent time with God and in the Word.

Thank you for sharing. God bless.