IGNORED

Need i feel guilt?

Just because your actual siblings are your blood must you keep in touch? 

I have nothing in common with my brothers. After years of forcing myself to endure their company due often to pressure from our mother, i have realised i am wasting time, energy and money on people who are toxic towards me. I am civilised to them, polite. But we see the world so differently that it is pointless. I certainly will not confide in them

I feel guilty. They are atheists. I am Christian. They think i am nuts! Huge difference and i find it irritating. Does the Bible say anywhere that we must be close to our own relatives? 

Please help me ease my guilt and put this right before God. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, Melinda12 said:

I have nothing in common with my brothers. After years of forcing myself to endure their company due often to pressure from our mother, i have realised i am wasting time, energy and money on people who are toxic towards me. I am civilised to them, polite. But we see the world so differently that it is pointless. I certainly will not confide in them

I feel guilty. They are atheists. I am Christian. They think i am nuts! Huge difference and i find it irritating. Does the Bible say anywhere that we must be close to our own relatives? 

Hi Melinda, 

No, the Word of God does not say that you must be close to your relatives. This specifically being these brothers of yours, as is in the post submitted. In fact, our Saviour as stated in the Gospels, was adamant that He was be first in those who followed Him. Since you are civilized and polite, this should be more than adequate. Don't let the guilt be cause for condemnation. This is not from the Lord. Try and be at peace with them, as best you can. God bless! 

Shalom,

David/BeauJangles

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

Matt 12:47.   Your Mother and brothers are outside ,wanting to speak to you.Then pointing his hand at his disciples,he said,here are my mother and my brothers.Whoever does the will of my Father is my brother, sister , and mothers.

Edited by Blood Bought 1953
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

7 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

No, just because they are your siblings you do not have to have a relationship with them. We should not keep company with toxic people but perhaps you could pray for them. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Shalom Melinda,

This issue is close to my heart as I have an older sister who I have a poor relationship with. She's also an atheist and also close-minded.

But be at peace!  As far as I am aware, honouring your father and mother are the only mandatory family relationships to maintain (if possible). Conversely, the Bible does contain stories where siblings do not get on - Jacob & Esau, David & Brothers, David's sons, Jesus & His brothers and sisters. 

This is not to say we shouldn't make an effort and we shouldn't be the ones to try a build a bridge of peace. However, if the sibling is not willing and sees our Christian life as hypocritical, or based on fairytales, it's better to not fight or contest with them. It's better to let your life be an example and the Father will bless you before them. Just remember to not rub your new life in their face or hit them with scriptures for "No prophet is accepted in his home town".

It is sad this happens (all to regularly), but just keep your hand open - in case one day they reach for it.

Here's a verse for encouragement sister - Matthew 12:46-50:

While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

One final verse for your encouragement! Matthew 19:29:

And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

So, be at peace sister (for you are my sister!). 

Don't burden yourself with this guilt which is unnecessary and out of your control. If anything, burden yourself with praying for them regularly.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

27 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom Melinda,

This issue is close to my heart as I have an older sister who I have a poor relationship with. She's also an atheist and also close-minded.

But be at peace!  As far as I am aware, honouring your father and mother are the only mandatory family relationships to maintain (if possible). Conversely, the Bible does contain stories where siblings do not get on - Jacob & Esau, David & Brothers, David's sons, Jesus & His brothers and sisters. 

This is not to say we shouldn't make an effort and we shouldn't be the ones to try a build a bridge of peace. However, if the sibling is not willing and sees our Christian life as hypocritical, or based on fairytales, it's better to not fight or contest with them. It's better to let your life be an example and the Father will bless you before them. Just remember to not rub your new life in their face or hit them with scriptures for "No prophet is accepted in his home town".

It is sad this happens (all to regularly), but just keep your hand open - in case one day they reach for it.

Here's a verse for encouragement sister - Matthew 12:46-50:

While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

One final verse for your encouragement! Matthew 19:29:

And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

So, be at peace sister (for you are my sister!). 

Don't burden yourself with this guilt which is unnecessary and out of your control. If anything, burden yourself with praying for them regularly.

Love & Shalom

well said!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,065
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

15 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Luke 8:21

21 And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.
KJV

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh how i love it when fellow christians call me Sister! We have a massive family as christians. How can we lack or be lonely? 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

It's simple--a LOT of Christians get "stuck" witnessing (lifestyle, sharing the gospel) to a small subset of hardcore unbelievers. I will share a story, see if it makes sense to your situation?

So, I'm counseling a small group of college young people, and for the 16th week in a row, when we discuss witnessing, so-and-so says, "I'm AGAIN this week inviting my roommate to church, but they never show up."

I think, "Hmmm, there are thousands of other students here, many of them, open to Jesus. Forget the roommate THIS WEEK."

Get it?

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

Looks like we have a pretty clear consensus here. :D

• Praise God! 1