To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I was confused about what happens right after death so a year or so ago I got a bunch of books about near death experiences.  Now I am more confused.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, bittersweet said:

I was confused about what happens right after death so a year or so ago I got a bunch of books about near death experiences.  Now I am more confused.

Your confusion should tell your something about the books you read.

Here is the only thing that the Bible says with 100% certainty.  Paul said in the above verse that we discussed that one day we will be not in our bodies and we will be with the Lord.  For Christians, this is concrete and assured.

How will that take place?  I don't know.

Are near death experiences real?  Not the ones where people say that they have been to heaven and saw God and come back.  Not the ones that do not line up with Biblical teachings.  

Are all of them false?  I don't know.

To me, the more important thing that understanding HOW that happens is to make sure that we know Christ and that we live this life, on this earth, for him and for the reaching of others for him.

One day....we will ALL know how it happens.  Until then, we can only ponder.

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 3/8/2019 at 5:22 PM, backontrack said:

I know there is a lot of controversy with this verse 2 Corinthians 5:8 but how can one explain this when Jesus himself said to the thief on the cross today you will be with me in paradise. He is no different from us a forgiven sinner.

The rich man was on the other side of the gulf and Lazarus in Abrahams bosom was able to see him as he to was in heaven. Luke 16: 19-31

Some say when we die we sleep but above the thief did not sleep! 

That is soul sleep and it is not biblical. When a person dies their soul immediately goes to heaven if they are a believer. If they are not a believer their soul immediately goes to Hades. Their body remains in the grave waiting for the resurrection. 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 3/8/2019 at 8:35 PM, Jayne said:

As far as the words you cited, "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord".  That's not in the Bible - well, not written like that.

Paul says in 2 Corinthians 5 that, "So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord,  for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him."

Jane, you should get a literal translation because yours seams to be a paraphrase.  

On 3/9/2019 at 3:48 AM, BeauJangles said:
  On 3/8/2019 at 8:50 PM, OneLight said:

2 Corinthians 5:6-8 NKJV

So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.  For we walk by faith, not by sight.  We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

I guess it depends on what version of the bible you are reading ...

You even denied that last phrase I underlined is in the sentence.  It literally says to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.  

2Co 5:8  ASV we are of good courage, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord.    The American Standard Version is another good literal translation.  

2Co 5:8  WEB  We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

2Co 5:8 KJV We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Jhn 3:15 NKJV  “that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

Jhn 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

1Jo 5:12 NKJV He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

All who are truly born again and manifest the life of Christ in them (bear fruit) have everlasting life. Everlasting means just that.  We pass from this life to the next because we have His life in us and we will never be separated from Him.  

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

34 minutes ago, Cletus said:

Its real simple.  He Is risen.  If His Spirit lives in us that same power over death and the grave resides in us... therefore... aint no grave can hold us.  now if that dont make you want to raise your hands and shout praises... i do not know what would. 

Luk 9:27  But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

where these two in the grave...???

Luk 9:28  And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray.
Luk 9:29  And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering.
Luk 9:30  And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias:

me thinks not...

1Co 15:26  The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.   (Death is not something... its someone.)

Psa 88:10  Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah.
Psa 88:11  Shall thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in destruction?
Psa 88:12  Shall thy wonders be known in the dark? and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?

1Th 4:13  But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
1Th 4:14  For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

Luk 20:34  And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:
Luk 20:35  But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:
Luk 20:36  Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
Luk 20:37  Now that the dead are raised, even Moses shewed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.
Luk 20:38  For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

Luk 16:22  And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
Luk 16:23  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luk 16:24  And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Luk 16:25  But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
Luk 16:26  And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
Luk 16:27  Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
Luk 16:28  For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
Luk 16:29  Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
Luk 16:30  And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
Luk 16:31  And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Put those hands up and praise the Lord .    

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

3 hours ago, missmuffet said:

When a person dies their soul immediately goes to heaven if they are a believer.

@missmuffet:amen: This is what happened with my mom recently. On February 27th she passed on and entered into eternity. She is with the Lord now. I am so happy for this, even though I miss her dearly. I am grateful she was washed in the Blood of the Lamb. :emot-heartbeat:

A bonus blessing is she has no more pain (she suffered an anoxic brain injury on March 9, 2018 and went through severe repercussions from it.) 

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Willa said:

Jane, you should get a literal translation because yours seams to be a paraphrase.  

Willa, I clarified what I was talking about in my next post after that.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, turtletwo said:

@missmuffet:amen: This is what happened with my mom recently. On February 27th she passed on and entered into eternity. She is with the Lord now. I am so happy for this, even though I miss her dearly. I am grateful she was washed in the Blood of the Lamb. :emot-heartbeat:

A bonus blessing is she has no more pain (she suffered an anoxic brain injury on March 9, 2018 and went through severe repercussions from it.) 

I am sorry for your loss turtle but isn't it a comfort to know they are with the Lord? Unbelievers do not have that. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 hours ago, Willa said:
  On 3/9/2019 at 3:48 AM, BeauJangles said:  On 3/8/2019 at 8:50 PM, OneLight said:

2 Corinthians 5:6-8 NKJV

So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.  For we walk by faith, not by sight.  We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

I guess it depends on what version of the bible you are reading ...

Uh-oh... Somehow my name got over-laid on OneLight's post. I suppose the date on each would confirm this. Not guilty. LOL God bless!

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

Some of my best experiences in Him are clustered around all these apparent contradictions in Scripture.  I've learned to really get excited when something gives the appearance of contradiction because I know that I know that I know  not so much as ONE word in that Book contradicts another.  I've discovered that  if I take those appearances to Him He'll straighten them out for me and i always end up with a new, astonishing and powerful understanding.

I got to a place where I saw that the Word clearly portrays death as "sleep".  And it does so in both Old and New Testaments.  And it also portrays CLEARLY that absence from this flesh and blood is followed instantly by awareness of His presence....so I asked "Lord which is it?"

As is so often true  with  these, the problem is not a conflict in the Word but framing up  the question in a wrong way.  Based on an already flawed understanding that there IS a conflict...which there is not.

His answer to  my question?   "YES!" 

go figure..   :)

It's almost become a game between us because EVERY time He's answered  one of my questions about apparent conflicts that's been His answer.

Ok Lord, which is it, once saved always saved or can we lose salvation?   "YES!"

*SIGH*  

Ok Lord, which  is it, predestination or do we truly have free will?"   "YES!"

GRRRRRR.....

LOL..but  if you seriously stick with it, letting God be true, His Word sure and every man a lair....He WILL explain that frustratingly tantalizing "YES!" answer  :)

Lots of Godless bickering  would just evaporate  if more would do that :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1