IGNORED

Question about baptism

I have a friend who was with a mormon church for many years. She was baptized by full immersion. True believer as she still is. 

Years later she had personal problems. She divorced. The mormons threw her out and she was churchless for a long time until she met me. Now she attends my Anglican church. 

She is worried that her baptism was 'revoked' by the mormons and assumes therefore she cannot count herself as saved and baptised. 

What is the truth of this?

My view is i am enraged! How dare anyone do this. I've told her she belongs to Jesus no matter what. She was baptized, she accepts Jesus as Saviour and is a full believing Christian. She has been carrying this guilt and condemnation around for years. I said 'stuff the mormons '! - she is and always shall be baptised and saved. Nobody can separate her from Jesus. She is my friend and i want her to know peace and joy. 

But am i right? Tell me the truth because i can take it. Can baptism be 'annulled' or whatever it is Mormons do when they think someone sinned or broke their rules?

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

16 minutes ago, Sower said:

Baptism is between God and the one being baptized, who is publicly showing their belief in Jesus as savior. Not for salvation! People or religions have no say in the matter.
A true child of God is kept by God, not man's rules. Or, man's idea of what he thinks 
up to be his improvement over the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is what Mormonism is, man's perverted idea of the scriptures. They believe lucifer and Jesus are brothers.

Quote:

"Mormonism (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) was birthed in 1820 by a vision in which two celestial personages appeared to Joseph Smith claiming all existing churches were wrong, all their creeds were an abomination, and all their professors were corrupt. According to these personages, Smith had been chosen to restore—not reform—a church that had disappeared from the face of the earth. The Mormon doctrines that evolved from this vision compromise confuse or contradict the nature of God, the authority of Scripture and the way of salvation.

Thank you Sower, for bringing up the error of Mormonism into light. It's extremely vital in this instance. God bless! 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 2

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

If she were baptized into the Mormon Church, was she saved at the time?  Truly saved? Or just completing a Mormon ritual?

That would make the difference.  Believer's baptism is for the truly saved.

Baptism doesn't save you, but it is something we should do after salvation as a testimony that we are buried with Christ and risen again with him unto a new life.

I've known many people who were baptized as older children just because their little friends were or who were young adults who really didn't understand the concept of salvation who were genuinely saved later in life and were baptized for a second time afterwards.  The second baptism was for the testimony of their faith in Christ.

That's the only time a re-baptism should be done.  When the first baptism was not done for a truly saved person - only out of ritual's sake or for the sake of getting dunked only to follow the crowd.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

Instead of being angry about the past I think she should be baptized in her new Church. Start over. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

3 hours ago, Sower said:

Baptism is between God and the one being baptized, who is publicly showing their belief in Jesus as savior. Not for salvation! People or religions have no say in the matter.
A true child of God is kept by God, not man's rules. Or, man's idea of what he thinks up to be his improvement over the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is what Mormonism is, man's perverted idea of the scriptures. They believe lucifer and Jesus are brothers.

Quote:

"Mormonism (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) was birthed in 1820 by a vision in which two celestial personages appeared to Joseph Smith claiming all existing churches were wrong, all their creeds were an abomination, and all their professors were corrupt. According to these personages, Smith had been chosen to restore—not reform—a church that had disappeared from the face of the earth. The Mormon doctrines that evolved from this vision compromise confuse or contradict the nature of God, the authority of Scripture and the way of salvation.

Much thanks for exposing their error .    As in this day and age the melting pot of becoming one and claiming all paths as valid ,  My heart rejoices to see

That Gary was quick to expose that dangerous cult for what it is .  While we are to love ,  LOVE does no evil to its neighbor , and it is EVIL to let one remain in a lie .

Very evil in fact .    I leave us with these words ,   Do not HATE your neighbor in your HEART ,   you shall rebuke him in any way and not allow Him to remain in error .

Those words are from Our loved GOD In that bible .  Which all sound doctrine is good for reproof , correction ,  Instruction in righteousness, that the man of God

may be througly furnished unto all good works  .  We live in a time where many think its love just to include everyone and yet not correct . But this is HATE
and if one hates his brethren ,   HE is a murderer and we know that no Murderer has eternal life .    

I just shot the entire bottom of the seeker friendly , emergent , rick warren foundation , RIGHT OUT from under them .   It was all built on a lie

cloaked as love , yet really HATE . 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I have a friend who was with a mormon church for many years. She was baptized by full immersion. True believer as she still is. 

Years later she had personal problems. She divorced. The mormons threw her out and she was churchless for a long time until she met me. Now she attends my Anglican church. 

She is worried that her baptism was 'revoked' by the mormons and assumes therefore she cannot count herself as saved and baptised. 

My view is i am enraged! How dare anyone do this. I've told her she belongs to Jesus no matter what. She was baptized, she accepts Jesus as Saviour and is a full believing Christian. She has been carrying this guilt and condemnation around for years. I said 'stuff the mormons '! - she is and always shall be baptised and saved. Nobody can separate her from Jesus. She is my friend and i want her to know peace and joy. 

But am i right? Tell me the truth because i can take it. Can baptism be 'annulled' or whatever it is Mormons do when they think someone sinned or broke their rules?

If it was a Mormon baptism, then I've no idea what they can or can't do. I understand that they believe baptism is essential for salvation, which might explain why your friend is so worried. But even if it can be revoked in their eyes, they can't take away her salvation in such a manner.

The position of 'normal' churches is that you can only be baptised once, and that it cannot be revoked. However, I'm not sure that a Mormon baptism would be recognised as a valid baptism by mainstream churches. You'd have to ask your vicar - but if it isn't regarded as valid, she can be baptised in the Anglican church and put the Mormons behind her.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

6 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I don't think baptism has much to do with it. We all have to walk through life, and the closer we walk with Jesus, the better. And, yes, it requires obedience - so many refuse to accept that. But she might feel better if she gets baptized again.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

IMO Baptism is an absolutely  critical thing to obey Jesus in.  But it's an act of obedience to His will and command that DEMONSTRATES publicly that the person has BEEN saved and publicly  proclaims a life submitted to Him.  It has nothing  to  do with salvation itself...but is simply an important act of obedience.  At salvation we are introduced  to  Jesus in the power of His role and NAME - Saviour.   Baptism is an acknowledgement in the  life  of the believer that they have met Him as LORD.  One with the right to command and expect obedience.  It is possible to track our growth in Him by how many  of His "names" we have actually EXPERIENCED Him  in....not the ones we just learned exist intellectually....but the  ones He's actually drawn us through life experiences that manifested the  power of each name in our own experience.

Melinda if there is still any lingering doubt in your  friend's mind there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking to be baptized once more ....i can't imagine how it would somehow be a sin or lack of faith to simply obey Him in making a new public profession of His  Lordship over her  life and if it settled something inside for her...why not?

Edited by Jostler
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1