ejected

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  761
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

I belong to CHM, Christian Healthcare Ministries.

I get a list of people that need prayer every 3 months. We are told to send them any king of support.

I have noticed a lot more christians are coming down with cancer in the last couple of years.

Thats a topic for another time.

Here's my question. Is it a good idea or not to send these folks a book or a movie where the character in the story gets healed of cancer? Do you see what I mean?

Is that being insensitive or is that giving encouragement?

I know we are to be led by the Spirit for sure but i'd like to hear anybody's opinion on this. Thanks.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

As someone who is going through such a battle, I personally am sick of hearing about cancer. Encouraging words are wonderful to receive but ug I am tired of hearing about cancer myself. I just want to stop thinking about it for a few minutes. I dont know if that is true for everyone, but it is something to consider. Cancer patients are also just plain annoyed at being called brave or a hero for going through it, according to a recent study. I found that true for myself as well.

What I did like was getting a card with a Christian theme, verses etc, that just let me know folks cared and were praying for me. With cancer, it is too easy to feel isolated. I loved having cards from folks on various prayer teams who sent cards to me. I cried the first time I got a card.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

I have had cancer, myself.  I would not have wanted a film where everything comes out rosy for the patient because that's not what always happens.  And sometimes people may think, "What's wrong with me that God is not healing me?"

I don't believe in:

• Telling cancer patients about all your friends and relatives who had the same kind of cancer and how horrible they did with treatments or how they didn't make it.  You be shocked at how many times ignorant people do this.
  • Telling cancer patients that it's all going to be OK because they are saved and God is going to work them through all of this.  That's false hope and we have no business talking for God.

Get my point.  Let's stop "telling" cancer patients our opinions on things and our experiences.  Let's listen to them instead and just offer love in the form of meals, soups, cards, help with housekeeping, babysitting, and whatever they need.  Let them make that call.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

13 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

What I did like was getting a card with a Christian theme, verses etc, that just let me know folks cared and were praying for me. With cancer, it is too easy to feel isolated. I loved having cards from folks on various prayer teams who sent cards to me. I cried the first time I got a card.

Cards are good.  When I went through mine, a friend who had been through cancer herself told me to "keep those cards and read them again later.  You appreciate them even more."

I didn't know what she meant.

But I kept them and about six month after my ordeal, I read through them again.  Only then did I cry.  The ordeal was over and I could deeply feel the messages and love and support that I could not feel earlier when I was trying so hard NOT to cry and to keep everyone else in my family in good cheer.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I think it is best to stay in prayer. Not send worldly movies.

3 hours ago, ayin jade said:

As someone who is going through such a battle, I personally am sick of hearing about cancer. Encouraging words are wonderful to receive but ug I am tired of hearing about cancer myself. I just want to stop thinking about it for a few minutes. I dont know if that is true for everyone, but it is something to consider. Cancer patients are also just plain annoyed at being called brave or a hero for going through it, according to a recent study. I found that true for myself as well.

Beautiful. Thanks for that.

3 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I think it is best to stay in prayer. Not send worldly movies.

Im sorry, you misunderstand. Its a christian movie.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

6 hours ago, ejected said:

I belong to CHM, Christian Healthcare Ministries.

I get a list of people that need prayer every 3 months. We are told to send them any king of support.

Here's my question. Is it a good idea or not to send these folks a book or movie where the character in the story gets healed of cancer? Do you see what I mean?

Is that being insensitive or is that

giving encouragement?

I know we are to be led by the Spirit for sure but i'd like to hear anybody's opinion on this. Thanks.

I certainly do. This is an extremely sensitive area of ministry, and would depend on the individual. The best one can do is to pray, and go by that leading you seek. May the Lord bless you exceedingly. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, ejected said:

Im sorry, you misunderstand. Its a christian movie.

It is still best to get your direction from God. 

I agree.