LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

Really I think it mostly the owners fault. The prices of their items were twice as much as any place else. They started a remodel last year and got rid of a lot of brand names that people buy saying that they were getting new items in soon. Which seem to never come. So half the time you could not find what you wanted and they seem to have a whole space full of empty shelves. I hardly ever bought produce there because it was usually wilted and over priced. Which I never could understand because we have a huge produce farm right here that sells produce all over the country. It is kind of like living next to the ocean except it's produce and not fish. So produce shouldn't cost that much here. Though for some reason they never carried the local produce.  Still though it did provide to the community a place to buy food. And I feel bad for the people who work there who are now going to be with out a job. 

Frankly I hope we get a Kroger. I love Kroger. 

Edited by LadyKay
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

3 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Really I think it mostly the owners fault. The prices of their items were twice as much as any place else. They started a remodel last year and got rid of a lot of brand names that people buy saying that they were getting new items in soon. Which seem to never come. So half the time you could not find what you wanted and they seem to have a whole space full of empty shelves. I hardly ever bought produce there because it was usually wilted and over priced. Which I never could understand because we have a huge produce farm right here that sells produce all over the country. It is kind of like living next to the ocean except it's produce and not fish. So produce shouldn't cost that much here. Though for some reason they never carried the local produce.  Still though it did provide to the community a place to buy food. And I feel bad for the people who work there who are now going to be with out a job. 

Oh, well in that case, maybe it's good they are gone.   I hope a decent market takes over.   Here people like the produce, etc, from nearby farms.   There are many farmer's market around, even in downtown.   They set them up about once a week.   They might still have one on Friday near me... haven't checked lately though.

4 minutes ago, PepperS said:

The last town we lived in had 5 good grocery stores. One was a chain, the rest were locally owned. The town also had two pharmacies. Within a year of Wal-mart moving in, all six businesses were closed. 

That's awful.... sounds like it was a nice town!   What State was it in?   Just curious.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

4 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Grocery stores typically operate on slim profit margins. 

Btw, its not just alaska that has walmarts that are not close. When I lived on the navajo reservation, the nearest walmart was 90 miles away.

Just came by to say , YOU ARE LOVED DEAR SISTER .     Let every one who names the name of CHRIST have a praise fest to the LORD  .  

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

3 hours ago, angels4u said:

I went this afternoon to one of my favorite clothing stores and guess what? It's gone :(

Well , you are loved .    REJOICE in this ,   WE got the durable white robes of righteous FOUND only IN CHRIST .     That will make you sing .

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Frankly I hope we get a Kroger. I love Kroger. 

Where I lived on the rez, there wasnt a grocery store prior to when I moved there. So the politicians asked one grocery chain to consider opening a store there. And they did. Perhaps you can get your town to ask kroger to open a store there.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, ayin jade said:

I live in the city. Within a few miles of us are several walmarts, a couple of targets, safeway, albertsons, frys, winco, costco, sams club, sprouts, trader joes, and natural grocers. 

Yep, I forgot about Trader Joes, Costco, Sam's Club,  and Sprouts.

More than half Century ago  at  greater Boston all we had was A&P,  plus the Italian  or Armenian owned neighborhood corner Spas with  their few processed meats, some bread, a pinball machine,  cigarettes, candy, and the numbers.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

What an amazing place, the USA. So many choices for so  many people. Be in the cities, be in the suburbs, the sparcely populated mountains or plains, so many choices of lifestyle are possible.

Thank you Father.

Ought to write lyrics about it giving thanks.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

Hi all

Here in Australia many of our regional towns are losing their stores, and have to fight to stay viable.  Many are getting together and finding ways to survive the closure of shops and banks.   We are seeing the closure of yet another bank here within the next couple of months.  These ways include Folk, Blues, Country and Western weekends festivals, country fairs and quaint shops to attract passers through and advertising local attractions.  Many of our shops are now empty.  I actually prefer shopping locally as I do not have to put my card details on the internet.  I also find it fun to go shopping; sometimes it's a way to get out and about.

Frienduff is right.  The global one world government is on the way.  They want to hem everyone in to shopping on the internet.  I don't think Christians are the only people seeing this all happen before their eyes.  There are many people in the world against globalisation.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

15 minutes ago, SisterActs2 said:

Hi all

Here in Australia many of our regional towns are losing their stores, and have to fight to stay viable.  Many are getting together and finding ways to survive the closure of shops and banks.   We are seeing the closure of yet another bank here within the next couple of months.  These ways include Folk, Blues, Country and Western weekends festivals, country fairs and quaint shops to attract passers through and advertising local attractions.  Many of our shops are now empty.  I actually prefer shopping locally as I do not have to put my card details on the internet.  I also find it fun to go shopping; sometimes it's a way to get out and about.

Frienduff is right.  The global one world government is on the way.  They want to hem everyone in to shopping on the internet.  I don't think Christians are the only people seeing this all happen before their eyes.  There are many people in the world against globalisation.

Good idea to do that stuff to attract sightseers or others around the area.   Some areas have some antique shops which attract the out of towners.   Even just secondhand shops can be interesting.     Another thing that can attract outsiders are quilt or craft shops.   I once visited a shop in Scottsdale, Arizona that was a Christmas shop (decorations, etc) year round.   It was fun.