backontrack

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,198
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

Dad wants to be cremated but my sisters are against this should I fight for my fathers right to be cremated or give into my sisters. Dad will not put it in his will. What does God say about it, is cremation ok or who cares we all go to dust anyway. Comments welcome. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

2 minutes ago, backontrack said:

Dad wants to be cremated but my sisters are against this should I fight for my fathers right to be cremated or give into my sisters. Dad will not put it in his will. What does God say about it, is cremation ok or who cares we all go to dust anyway. Comments welcome. 

when the time comes your dad really won't care.....   but the difference in the cost can be huge....   My mom and dad made plans for their funeral and had it all paid for so we kids didn't have any say at all....    you might mention that to your dad to set it all up then if your sisters want different they can do it and pay for it.    At 71 and wife 67 we are at the point of setting things up for us....  

Personally I have requested to be cremated basically because I don't like the idea of laying in the ground being eaten by worms and bacteria.....   I'd rather be dumped in the bar ditch and at least eaten by something big that moves around.  And as you say, we all turn to dust anyway, sooner or later.    I want to be on my son's fireplace mantel, but he could flush me down the toilet if he wants and I won't care.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Some believers may feel cremation to be controversial, but it is financially practical. Grandparents on both sides of the family had traditional burial arrangements, but did opt for memorial services in places of worship, rather than the extra cost of that of a funeral home. Father and mother preferred to be cremated, as the expense of finalizing are astronomical in California. Provision for dispersion, has become more common here as well.  The remainder of our immediate family is deciding the same. God bless.

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

The Bible really does not address the issue of cremation. A Christian should pray for wisdom. The soul of the believer will still go to heaven. The soul of the unbeliever will still go to Hades. The body of the believer will still  be resurrected to heaven. The body of the unbeliever will still be resurrected to the Great White Throne judgment. 

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I would say if your dad is serious about it he needs to put it in his will....if not, then id hate to say it when he passes I would go with a majority vote just to keep family peace, because at that point your dad will no longer care and family peace is more important then how someone is buried.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

If your dad is adamant about, he needs to put it in his will today!!  

No, cremation is not a spiritual issue nor does it effect eternity.  Those who believe cremation won't allow for the "body" to be resurrected, I say this:

•  What about Christians who get eaten by lions and sharks and in up as "fertilizer" in the grasslands or ocean floor?  They don't have a body.
  •   What about Christians who get burned up in accidently fires?
  •  What about righteous people like Abel and Seth and so many more we don't know about who died righteous long before the Great Flood whose bodies and bones, long since dead, were completely destroyed by the Flood?
  • What about Christians in the Twin Towers who bodies were never found because they were disintegrated?

Cremation is not a sin.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

8 hours ago, backontrack said:

As has been already suggested ask your Father to say what he wants.

Go further and suggest that he takes out a funeral plan that has already paid for or on death will pay for a pre order funeral.

Talk to him about what sort of service he would like, what hymns, readings etc.

My Father paid for a funeral plan, planned his funeral service including the pictures of himself he wanted included.

When he died and his funeral had to be arrange there were two things I had to do.

Remove his financal details from the CD so the printer could print the order of service without including his bank details and to order flowers.

He needs to decide and talk to your sisters about what he wants.

Otherwise you will have to sort itout while also coming to terms with his death and that is what you don't want.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 3/13/2019 at 6:46 PM, backontrack said:

Hi,

Do not let the issue trouble you even  one day. 

I counseled more families,  literally into the tens of hundreds, kept arguing siblings apart from each other, even watched dueling Lincolns in the parking  lot, and had one family try to settle it with a  1911  45  caliber semi automatic. I even had the cremated remains sit in a bronze urn at my desk for over a year  while sisters fought a legal battle over the inscription for mom. They actually called me daily for a year over the issue. Even I had the inscription I wanted to put on it by the end of that one.

It can get more than silly it can get quite dangerous. If there is serious discussion/arguing now  figure it will get really ugly at his death.  Have one say now an d then just let it go now, and let the dead bury the dead so to speak.

Never let the dead control from the grave is the motto to lve by. If dad choses to  do nothing to both preplan and to prepay  plus set aside funding in full  and he dies, his wishes are of no value. Let no one dictate your wallet and let no one's dereliction of personal duty, and responsibility, become your responsibility.

BTW- A will is not a place to put funeral instructions. Are you really going to wait around for a will to be read and enforced if there is conflict?

To be blunt, written instructions, and presigned irrevocable prepaid funeral plan  arrangements are the way he needs to go. Or it is a set up for a time of long lasting angst between syblings. A needless angst- have one say  now from you, declare it done as far as you are concerned and never revisit it again, for if you do  it will become a thing that is not  "nice" and a bad testimony of our Lord as well as others see the arguing unfolding on and on.

Plus: as  a side note,  in the USA though State regulations vary, one does not have to be embalmed and one does not have to be cremated either. Within limits of public health and safety  you can do  pretty much what you want. Want to be buried unembalmed and facing east without a casket and have it done before sunrise, well it is difficult  to get it done, but it can be done. 

About the only  option I didn't make arrangement for  over the years was for freeze drying.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Personally I prefer sliced diced and sprinkled...

43019656_compmecooncapwithsticksmall.jpg.e9a31872f6b8c3c8e9f6d083fa3c843b.jpg

better for the flowers I think      :13: 

• Haha 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  262
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I will be getting a tattoo telling the world to cremate my body if i am dead. Whether they listen or not, i wont care because i will be with the Lord. That is, if i can do that before i die. If not, my wife knows i want this flesh to burn.

• Loved it! 1