• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,522
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

10 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Excerpt: ... like all things related to our doctrines, we need to have chapter and verse

Well, perhaps that is a helpful aid  but  one does not need to recognize chapter and verse so much as the consistency of a conclusion reached from the greater body the entirety  of the Bible. The Bible had no chapters nor paragraphs nor verses. It  has been  divided by man, not by inspiration, but by individual  thought process  perhaps endorsed by committee for the good purpose of making reference by scholars one with another  about the meaning of a particular word or phrase; and not to make the verse hang alone without greater support of the entirety of Biblical information on the thought expressed in a passage.

All numbering and dividing has been added for our convenience in discussion one with another sometimes to  good effect for that purpose. It has led to convenient chain Bible notations and cross references.  It can be very misleading to isolate a verse from it's passage chapter book and confirming parallels contained within both testaments.  I do believe that one need do the personal work of searching  the greater entirety within the Bible for meaning and not rely on a "CliffsNotes" approach where critical thinking is replaced by regurgitation.

It is one thing to say "it is written" in reference to an explanation being made about a subject that is being expounded upon. It is  another to deny thought leading to good application and instead just parrot.

I do think the overall conclusion of a person as led by the Holy Spirit to a conclusion is as valid a manner to share of God's word the Bible as is isolating the Word itself from greater context and confirmation. Might be best to read through  a personal though presented in a cohesive manner, as a start. And then; if one does not recognize the body of work that  has led to it, ask if this passage or that one is part of the making of the conclusion.

p.s. - Conversation need not have footnotes- gets rather cumbersome to "talk" in footnotes and references.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0

thank you so much for the encouragement neighbor

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

I am quite familiar with the crucial importance of being born again.....what I am NOT accustomed to is knowing the exact date of Salvation as proof that it happened or using it as a way to separate the Believer from the non- Believer .There is where chapter and verse is needed, in my opinion.I still think you are on to something.

Dear brother, the point of my post was to use when, where and how we are born again as a crucial part of our spiritual armor, the helmet of salvation, ...that our precious sister is struggling with, ...I don't like bullies and the devil and his hordes are bullies picking on the weak and young in faith, ...I'm and only child and I lived 37 years like that, ...but now I have many brothers and sisters all over this planet, and, in the words of Jed Clampett, "...I don't take to kindly with anybody messin' with them to do them any harm!"

Bro, wouldn't it be an interesting thread to start asking the believers here at Worthy when, where and what verse Father used to draw them to His Son Jesus Christ for Salvation, as Peter taught 1:23-25, ...it would be real interesting to see who remained silent, ...I'd do it but I'm very busy with work and don't really have the time.

Lord bless

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0

Amen :)