douge

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  354
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  964
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Jesus, when asking "why callest thou me good", was asserting his diety. Jesus was telling him to keep the commandments. Jesus did not come to destroy the law. Matthew 5:17

19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Jesus was telling him to sell all he had in order to enter the kingdom of heaven; the prophetic, Davidic kingdom on earth, promised Israel. Selling possessions would be a stipulation to enter the kingdom, and lay up treasure; treasure stored in heaven, and given at his coming. Revelation 5:10 Matthew 13:44 Luke 18:24 Luke 12:32-33

19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus, in this account, by his words, is talking of Israel entering into the kingdom at his coming.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

41 minutes ago, douge said:

Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Which?

if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

40 minutes ago, douge said:

Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Simple ........ ........ ...... ....

Anyone in any politic party obeying Jesus ?

Yahshua always was and is Echad with Yahweh and knew it eternally past, present and eternally future.

THus,  He would never ,  not ever,  do anything as if not Being Deity.

His question thus was as if drawing out from the one(s) who call Him "Good",   whether or not they KNEW HE IS GOD, or not ,  recognizing only God is Good,   different and apart and distinct from anyone who is only human .

15 minutes ago, SelahSong said:

The only person that is good is God Himself, and to call Jesus "Good Master" is to call Jesus God...who is Good!

Yes!  HalleluYAH !  AMEN !

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

14 hours ago, douge said:

19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus, in this account, by his words, is talking of Israel entering into the kingdom at his coming.

All Jesus does here is show the rich young man that he loves his things far more than he loved the things of God.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, PepperS said:

I have heard it argued that he is saying, Why are you calling me good, since I am the son of God, not God himself.

Here is one verse that would refute that

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

7 hours ago, Who me said:

All Jesus does here is show the rich young man that he loves his things far more than he loved the things of God.

Jesus was saying, to enter the kingdom on earth, promised Israel, they had to be righteous by obeying the law. Jesus was showing this young man what he lacked.

Matthew 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

One of the requirements to enter the kingdom was to sell possessions; this was an obstruction for the rich.

Matthew 19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

On 3/15/2019 at 4:05 PM, douge said:

Jesus was saying, to enter the kingdom on earth, promised Israel, they had to be righteous by obeying the law. Jesus was showing this young man what he lacked.

Matthew 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

One of the requirements to enter the kingdom was to sell possessions; this was an obstruction for the rich.

Matthew 19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Jesus's Kingdom, which he was inviting people then and today to enter, is not of this world. As he told Pilate, if it was an earthly Kingdom his subjects would fight for him.

• This is Worthy 1

6 hours ago, Who me said:

Jesus's Kingdom, which he was inviting people then and today to enter, is not of this world. As he told Pilate, if it was an earthly Kingdom his subjects would fight for him.

Hello

Please consider:

And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. Matthew 12:32

Jesus differentiated between this world and the one to come. The earthly kingdom would be in the world to come.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

Jesus was showing him, and us, that keeping the commandments concerning our relationship with man is not enough, ...the point is, he was breaking the very first commandment, ...thou shalt have no other Gods before me, ...that means, worshiping God, saying, ...I love God,  ...but having others things in our lives that are more important, ...the man's possessions were more important to him than eternal life, ...that was Jesus' point, ...he couldn't/wouldn't sell them and then come and follow Him.

The first four commandments are about our vertical relationship with God, the other six are about our horizontal relationship with man, ...see the Cross there?

Lord bless