IGNORED

Ideally As Christians What Is Our Fellowship For?

Michael37

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Sometimes people ask "Where do you fellowship?" Also they ask "Who do you fellowship with?" But it would be a rare thing for someone to ask "What is your fellowship for?"

An unbeliever might ask "What do you do at your meetings?", not knowing how the term "fellowship" is applied among Christians.

I sometimes mention who I am in fellowship with and comment on what matters we discuss, and occasionally describe someone as being "out of fellowship", but still the question remains, "Ideally As Christians What Is Our Fellowship For?"  

8 minutes ago, PepperS said:

To support each other.

Also, God made us social creatures. We need other people in our lives to thrive.

Yes. I do like the inclusion of support in the purpose of our fellowship, and certainly companionship is a need to be met.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,178
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  1

27 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Sometimes people ask "Where do you fellowship?" Also they ask "Who do you fellowship?" But it would be a rare thing for someone to ask "What is your fellowship for?"

An unbeliever might ask "What do you do at your meetings?", not knowing how the term "fellowship" is applied among Christians.

I sometimes mention who I am in fellowship with and comment on what matters we discuss, and occasionally describe someone as being "out of fellowship", but still the question remains, "Ideally As Christians What Is Our Fellowship For?"  

Hi, if you wouldn’t mind me chiming in and attempting to answer your question. But I’d like to change the question to;

What is fellowship? 

I think, in the answer to this question, you will find the answer to the question;

What is Our fellowship for? 

I believe the answer of what fellowship is is;

It is one’s personal relationship with Christ, touching another believer’s  personal relationship with Christ. Whereby in that exchange, Christ is shared. Seeing  how Christ is the life that is in each believer, it is actually “life” that is exchanged and shared. 

This would be my thoughts on how to answer your question. 

Hope it helps. 

Blessings, 

Much love in Christ, Not me 

Edited by Not me
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Not me said:

Hi, if you wouldn’t mind me chiming in attempting to answer your question. But I’d like to change the question to;

What is fellowship? 

I think, in the answer the this question, you will find the answer to the question;

What is Our fellowship for? 

I believe the answer of what fellowship is is;

It is one’s personal relationship with Christ, touching others believer’s  personal relationship with Christ. Whereby in that exchange, Christ is shared. Seeing  how Christ is the life that is each believer, it is actually “life” that is exchanged and shared. 

This would be my thoughts on how to answer your question. 

Hope it helps. 

Blessings, 

Much love in Christ, Not me 

Thanks for your reply, Not Me. We agree about what fellowship is as you describe, and this verse is very much along those lines. 

1Co 1:9-10
(9)  God is faithful, by whom you were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.
(10)  Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

So far we have support, companionship, and sharing Christ. Excellent.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

I feel that fellowship means encourageing other believers when they fall short or when they feel down but I think it also means a body of believers where you are being fed & discipled

Edited by shortangel
forgot an e
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, shortangel said:

I feel that fellowship means encourageing other believers when they fall short or when they feel down but I think it also means a body of believers where you are being fed & discipled

Aha, Yes! Good point, shortangel. Encouragement is essential. Who want's discouragement on a regular basis? If we are feeding on the Word we are being strengthened and any correction from it should also be encouraging (encourageing). Disciples are expected to strive diligently to become like their masters or even better, but in our case it is our Master working in us and through us that makes us like Him. There is a tendency for discipling to take on an official rigid and formal tone but I prefer a more personal less structured approach in conjunction with participatory freedom. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

We build each other up in the Lord.  Sometimes corporate worship has done that for me without even speaking to each other.  Being among other devoted loving Christians is a blessing in itself.  

The sermons of our primary pastor never fail to feed me and proved new insights.  They are always straight from Scripture.   I look forward to being there as well as my Baptist Bible study where we share our personal struggles and how we can apply the Word to them.  I really love and identify with this small group.  

• Praise God! 1

8 minutes ago, Willa said:

We build each other up in the Lord.  Sometimes corporate worship has done that for me without even speaking to each other.  Being among other devoted loving Christians is a blessing in itself.  

The sermons of our primary pastor never fail to feed me and proved new insights.  They are always straight from Scripture.   I look forward to being there as well as my Baptist Bible study where we share our personal struggles and how we can apply the Word to them.  I really love and identify with this small group.  

I'm glad you are able to participate in edifying fellowship, Willa. As usual your comments are helpful as no doubt you are within your oikos (social setting). I like the aspects of contribution and distribution that are associated with the Greek word translated as fellowship in the Bible.

For the record here is the Strongs translation of the Greek koinonia as it appears in Scripture:

Strongs G2842
κοινωνία
koinōnia
koy-nohn-ee'-ah
From G2844; partnership, that is, (literally) participation, or (social) intercourse, or (pecuniary) benefaction: - (to) communicate (-ation), communion, (contri-), distribution, fellowship.
Total KJV occurrences: 20

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Sometimes people ask "Where do you fellowship?" Also they ask "Who do you fellowship?" But it would be a rare thing for someone to ask "What is your fellowship for?"

Fellowship with others is bringing glory to God. It is telling others how they can be saved. They then have a choice to come to Christ. Their mind has digested the words. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Fellowship with others is bringing glory to God. It is telling others how they can be saved. They then have a choice to come to Christ. Their mind has digested the words. 

Thanks for your reply, missmuffet. Yes, I remember when I was a 30 year old in a large congregation being told that the fellowshipping of Christians amounted to an act of worship. There is of course an overlap between evangelism and fellowship, something confirmed by statistics that show "friendship evangelism" as the most effective means of drawing unbelievers to receive Christ as their Saviour. Also it is important that new believers integrate into the body of Christ where they can be nurtured in spiritual truth. Recently a new believer began fellowshipping with our ekklesia and we frequently took the time to explain things and see how much she understood, which sometimes wasn't much, but my how she has grown spiritually in two years.