IGNORED

Ideally As Christians What Is Our Fellowship For?

Michael37

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Michael37 said:

I sometimes mention who I am in fellowship with and comment on what matters we discuss, and occasionally describe someone as being "out of fellowship", but still the question remains, "Ideally As Christians What Is Our Fellowship For?"  

Plenty of really great answers here, about what it is and what is done in fellowship.
In fun, in church, in study, in Christ.

It is done with other people, usually with a body of believers.
Boiled down, I think I would describe it, in my mind
        so we can come

'Together'   
     (a beautiful word) forsake not the assembling of ourselves together..

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,775
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Sower said:

Plenty of really great answers here, about what it is and what is done in fellowship.
In fun, in church, in study, in Christ.

It is done with other people, usually with a body of believers.
Boiled down, I think I would describe it, in my mind
        so we can come

'Together'   
     (a beautiful word) forsake not the assembling of ourselves together..

Thanks for your comment, Sower. Indeed, the coming together of believers is an exceptionally strong theme. As you may know there is a whole bundle of meaning in the word synagogue which is from the Greek sunagoge.

Quote:

During the first Christian centuries, Jewish-Christians used houses of worship known in academic literature as synagogue-churches. Scholars have claimed to have identified such houses of worship of the Jews who had accepted Jesus as the Messiah in Jerusalem[8] and Nazareth.[9][10] [See Wkpd]

Strongs G1997
ἐπισυναγωγή
episunagōgē
ep-ee-soon-ag-o-gay'
From G1996; a complete collection; specifically a Christian meeting (for worship): - assembling (gathering) together.
Total KJV occurrences: 2
Strongs G4863
συνάγω
sunagō
soon-ag'-o
From G4862 and G71; to lead together, that is, collect or convene; specifically to entertain (hospitably): - + accompany, assemble (selves, together), bestow, come together, gather (selves together, up, together), lead into, resort, take in.
Total KJV occurrences: 62

Strongs G4864
συναγωγή
sunagōgē
soon-ag-o-gay'
From (the reduplicated form of) G4863; an assemblage of persons; specifically a Jewish “synagogue” (the meeting or the place); by analogy a Christian church: - assembly, congregation, synagogue.
Total KJV occurrences: 57

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Sometimes people ask "Where do you fellowship?" Also they ask "Who do you fellowship with?" But it would be a rare thing for someone to ask "What is your fellowship for?"

An unbeliever might ask "What do you do at your meetings?", not knowing how the term "fellowship" is applied among Christians.

I sometimes mention who I am in fellowship with and comment on what matters we discuss, and occasionally describe someone as being "out of fellowship", but still the question remains, "Ideally As Christians What Is Our Fellowship For?" 

We meet together to worship God, to be taught and to encourage others and to be encouraged.

Note we do not go for our benefit we go to benefit others.

It is like in a marriage one seeks always the good of ones spouse first. So it is in church we seek the good of others in church. see phill 2:1-5

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

1 hour ago, Who me said:

We meet together to worship God, to be taught and to encourage others and to be encouraged.

Note we do not go for our benefit we go to benefit others.

It is like in a marriage one seeks always the good of ones spouse first. So it is in church we seek the good of others in church. see phill 2:1-5

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

Really good point, Who me. There is a warmth to the fellowship that occurs when we look to the interests of others. In Gal 5:20 we find selfish ambitions listed among the works of the flesh. Some versions mention "emulations" which is an archaic term for rivalry. Unbridled competitiveness can seriously quench the Holy Spirit.

KJV (20)  Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

NKJV (20)  idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,

ESV (20) idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,

emulation

(ˌɛmjʊˈleɪʃən)

n
1. the act of emulating or imitating
2. the effort or desire to equal or surpass another or others
3. archaic jealous rivalry
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

May I add, we come together as a local church body to strengthen the vertical aspect of our relationship with Father, we are told when we come together to praise and Worship Father He comes and inhabits the praises of His people, there is a spiritual dynamic that occurs that we rarely experience in our quiet time with Him,...the presence of the Holy Spirit in us as a body, united in Praise and Worship for our Great God and Father is so thick, ...for lack of a better word, ...that we could cut it with a knife, ...His Presence is felt, again, for lack of a better word, by all of His Children, ...when He comes He brings Eternity with Him, and maybe it might of lasted for only a few minutes, but for us it was like an hour or two, ...there were tears, weeping, exclamations of joy, hands raised, heads bowed, people on their knees, humility, humbleness, ...and afterwards, we find there were healing(s) given, physical, emotional, spiritual,  words of wisdom and knowledge, encouragement, correction, reproof, reconciliation, ...a True example/experience of the Church of Jesus Christ, ...and not the circus atmosphere we see so prevalent in the churches of today.

Lord bless  

3 hours ago, JustPassingThru said:

May I add, we come together as a local church body to strengthen the vertical aspect of our relationship with Father, we are told when we come together to praise and Worship Father He comes and inhabits the praises of His people, there is a spiritual dynamic that occurs that we rarely experience in our quiet time with Him,...the presence of the Holy Spirit in us as a body, united in Praise and Worship for our Great God and Father is so thick, ...for lack of a better word, ...that we could cut it with a knife, ...His Presence is felt, again, for lack of a better word, by all of His Children, ...when He comes He brings Eternity with Him, and maybe it might of lasted for only a few minutes, but for us it was like an hour or two, ...there were tears, weeping, exclamations of joy, hands raised, heads bowed, people on their knees, humility, humbleness, ...and afterwards, we find there were healing(s) given, physical, emotional, spiritual,  words of wisdom and knowledge, encouragement, correction, reproof, reconciliation, ...a True example/experience of the Church of Jesus Christ, ...and not the circus atmosphere we see so prevalent in the churches of today.

Lord bless  

Thanks for adding to the discussion, JPT. Yes, when the Holy Spirit is free to move in the congregation the benefits are numerous as you so nimbly describe.

2Co 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

• Thumbs Up 1