IGNORED

Other religious forums

In order to truly understand people and other faiths, dialogue is necessary. Peaceful rational discussion. Rather than proceeding in ignorance and assumption. 

So, has anyone here ever joined forums of other faiths? Ventured into their world? 

I have lots of questions. It seems the best way to participate in such forums anonymously. 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  0

I have engaged atheists on thephilosophyforum.com and atheistforum.com. 

The challenge is finding someone who can represent the worldview. I have engaged Muslims but I usually know much more about Hadith, Sharia, the Jurists, and both the Medinan, and Meccan qurans than they do. 

I find it rare to encounter knowledgeable individuals in Judaism, hinduism, or buddhism. I had international exchange students live in my house for a period of about 10 years. I found that few that held religious beliefs had studied them. 

Even amongst Evangelical Christians I can get some very peculiar answers to questions about Jesus' divinity and his humanity. 

But applaud you dialogical, peaceful, and rational approach. Good luck on the last one. Especially on the atheist forums. I am constantly helping atheist improve their rational arguments. They are consistently fallacious in their reasoning and arrogant in their attitude. That said I have had success with atheists who are friends. They happily and graciously receive help shoring up defense of their worldviews. 

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,778
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

8 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

In order to truly understand people and other faiths, dialogue is necessary. Peaceful rational discussion. Rather than proceeding in ignorance and assumption. 

So, has anyone here ever joined forums of other faiths? Ventured into their world? 

I have lots of questions. It seems the best way to participate in such forums anonymously. 

I have corresponded with atheists on a number of open forums. Some were exChristians who knew the Bible but had no faith in it and no longer believed in the existence of God. Others were humanists who rejected all religious beliefs and practices. The discussions can get intense and personal with a lot of flaming from hardnosed sceptics and some downright antichrists. There comes a point where any further presentation of testimony and biblical truth becomes casting pearls before swine.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

8 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I was a member of a Bangladesh forum, so it was pretty much all Muslims.   Besides posting and especially becoming a pal to one woman, I also started a topic of Quotes From Jesus Christ.   The topic got quite lengthy with quotes.   I felt this was the best way to go as I didn't want to get banned thereby stopping my input there all together.    The forum eventually shut down.

Although it was a Bangladesh forum, there were other Muslims.   I recall some from Saudi Arabia and that area complaining about the "religious police" and even laughing at what they sometimes did....like confronting a woman who was wrapped in four layers of clothe that she wasn't covered up enough!

Our Saudi Arabian brother here told me those religious police are no more, but they still have police that spy on especially foreigners.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

44 minutes ago, naominash said:

I like engaging with Muslims. I hate when Christians approach them in ignorance because I think that's a wasted witnessing opportunity.

My experience in engaging with them ended up with me getting death threats for just asking questions about what sharia  teaches....

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

3 minutes ago, naominash said:

Well, as with all things it depends on the situation.

If I were in a Muslim controlled country, I probably wouldn't enjoy engaging with the same lighthearted curiosity.

it wasn't lighthearted curiosity it was trying to understand.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

12 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Their is something the Lord revealed to me very early on .    We don't need to learn anything  from any other religion to be able to witness to them .

GOD ALREAY KNOWS exactly what they need to hear and will give us  a mouth that speaks .   I don't need to learn from a muslim to be able to witness better to them

any more than I need to learn from a witch to be able to know how to witness to her .   WE ALREADY GOT the WITNESS IN US , IF we HAVE the SPIRIT .

CHRIST is all I need .      And known unto GOD is what Is needed to be said to anyone .     KNOWN as TRUSTING IN GOD ALONE .     How bout we put those hands up and let

all praise the LORD .  

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,416
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, naominash said:

I like engaging with Muslims. I hate when Christians approach them in ignorance because I think that's a wasted witnessing opportunity.

Sharing of our Lord is never a wasted effort, never! 

• Praise God! 1

I want to join other faiths' forums and just compare and exchange thoughts. However, i hesitate about Muslims. Something tells me not to go there. I feel danger. Hard to explain. I tried reading the Quran couple of times and found i just couldn't. There was a 'deadness' to it, it just filled me with dread. Why i don't know. So far I've joined a Sikh one and they are very warm welcoming people. They are not troublesome people in this world and are charmingly happy to answer questions. I aim to join a Jewish and a catholic one, i have so many questions. 

Am i wrong about Islam? I just have such a bad feeling about them and a sense of real evil. If i am wrong i am sorry. Surely we should welcome dialogue with all and regard it as an opportunity to influence all for the good without being patronising? It's important to open our minds and spread peace and respect - this confirms not undermines confidence in our own Faith always in our precious Lord Jesus Christ. Each time we build bridges we are weakening the devil's plans.  

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

17 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

May I suggest first doing your own research, reading either web sites about the other religeon you're interested in, or books on that faith, or sites about reaching out to that belief.

Then to ask questions about what the person you are talking to actually believes.

As others have said, many people do not know what they believe, or they have a varrient of that belief.

With web site discussions as postors have time to compose replies, they can look up 'offical' answers, so all you can hope to do is set a seed working in the back of there mind for God to water.