dr3032

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

I've come to realize that attending a church would do me much more good than remaining as I am currently. I must also admit to still being really apprehensive about it; i'm not too fond of people, and the idea of it all just seems awkward to me.

So, i'm wondering if you all might offer advice as far as finding the right church goes. We have lots of churches here in town, and i'm really unsure where to even begin. I also have some questions.

How do you find out whether it is a formal or informal church? I'd rather not look goofy by showing up in a shirt and tie while everyone else is wearing Hawaiian shirts or something.

Does a guy have to sing? I get worship, sure, but i'm not good at singing and I don't enjoy it. I think i'd rather spare God and everyone else such shrill dissonance.

Could a guy just do "bible study"? I'd honestly rather just read the bible and discuss it. 

How do you know whether or not it is a good church?

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

These days most churches have websites. Have a look - they will probably include some photos of the main service, so you'll be able to see how most people are dressed. 

One reason for belonging to a church is that you learn to rub along with people who irritate you in one way or another - just as they have to rub along with you. So what if you can't sing? That's probably true of half the people in an average congregation. But when everyone is singing together, those who can't sing get carried along by those who can. You won't be expected to do any solos!

You probably could "just" do Bible study, but you'd only be getting half the experience.

How do you define a "good" church? Does it really have to be "good", or would "OK" do? All churches have strengths and weaknesses, so it really depends on what aspects are most important to you. Again, research the websites to narrow down your choice.

But do go somewhere! Even if you just sneak in and sit in the back row. I'm not a particularly social person myself, but that makes it all the more important to join a church, rather than avoiding it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, dr3032 said:

I've come to realize that attending a church would do me much more good than remaining as I am currently. I must also admit to still being really apprehensive about it; i'm not too fond of people, and the idea of it all just seems awkward to me.

So, i'm wondering if you all might offer advice as far as finding the right church goes. We have lots of churches here in town, and i'm really unsure where to even begin. I also have some questions.

How do you find out whether it is a formal or informal church? I'd rather not look goofy by showing up in a shirt and tie while everyone else is wearing Hawaiian shirts or something.

Does a guy have to sing? I get worship, sure, but i'm not good at singing and I don't enjoy it. I think i'd rather spare God and everyone else such shrill dissonance.

Could a guy just do "bible study"? I'd honestly rather just read the bible and discuss it. 

https://www.gotquestions.org/find-local-church.html

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

8 hours ago, dr3032 said:

I would look at their Statement of Faith on their website.   Then if that seems sound, you can always phone and ask them about informal or more formal dress for worship.   You can always sing but maybe a bit softer. :)

I would visit a few of the churches to see if you feel comfortable there....people are friendly, etc.   Of course, if the first church you visit feels right, then that's it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

15 hours ago, dr3032 said:

A couple of suggestions,

checkout the christianityexplored web site for churches in your area running this course.

If they have a course due to start sign up. They meet in a home and it's a relaxed way to discuss Christianity. or you could contact the organiser and talk to him about attending his church, he'll be happy to answer any questions and even meet you in the car park.

Otherwise google the church web site for information and pictures of worship services.

Last suggestion dress smart casual and select a church from google that you like how it appears etc and just go for it.

Most churches are happy for visitors.

( while on a walking holiday I've attended church in full walking kit, every one else was in suits ! )

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Pray first, pray second, pray third, and give thanks in each case. And remember even if you could find that perfect church it won't be anymore once you settle in. So might as well just pray and go pray and go pray and go till the Holy Spirit says stop here and volunteer to work the parking lot so as to miss all that  worship music praising God, and the share a germ time before the sermon starts.

Always bring your Bible always, that way  as long as you carry it in your right hand you can avoid the handshakes of brethren trying to greet you.

[Addendum to Heybro- It was humor for dr3032 the individual had stated they weren't too fond of people. My response is just carry your Bible in your right hand to avoid up close personal contact with handshakes.]

• Haha 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

As has been suggested, visit different churches, what you are looking for is the Holy Spirit's presence manifested in two ways, first Him talking to you through the pastor teaching the Word and second the Agape love of the brothers and sisters, ...you'll know this by the fact it's as if you are with family.

Don't settle for anything less...

Lord bless

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

The statement of faith should state that the Bible IS God's word,  not just that it contains God's word.  It should be the only bases of doctrine, not tradition or logic or any other basis.  A good church believes the Bible is " verbal plenary inspired in its original autographs."  Or the very words are inspired that were written in the original language the first time.  

• Thumbs Up 2