Marriage

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

Seeing this opened my eyes. I actually beleived this unconsciously. Even to the point of thinking if I grew  spiritually  enough or worked hard enough for God ,that a spouse  would be a reward  and my currentnlack is the to me not being holy or righteous enough

Screenshot_2019-03-23-07-21-34-1.png

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

Amen good point here :)  true God does not promise that each person will find a spouse,  he does promise that each of us are either called to be single or married :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

Well, with over 50% of all marriages ending up in a divorce (Christians aren’t exempt either), the marriage commitment seems to get harder and harder to keep as people become less and less connected and more into pursuing the lust of the eyes. 

I made a good bit of money though when I was practicing law because of this fact. It’s sad though.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

Many lawyers try to talk people out of getting a divorce, despite the financial hit they know they will take.They know the misery these clients are going to face.My brother did listen......he spent many years and many dollars in a hate- fueled  war with his ex.The lawyer,of course got rich.It is obvious that you got no pleasure from doing what you had to do at times.I am sure you were a good lawyer

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

Marriage is a personal choice. It is better to be single than to marry the wrong person. It is best to leave your life to God and letting Him choose what His plan is for your life. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, creativemechanic said:

Its easy to say but hard to swallow, especially when a person is craving the benefits of marriage- company, intimacy ,sex, someone to share your life with

It is yourself controlling your life or God.

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  130
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

I was married for five years and divorced. It was my own decision that led to my singleness. I am 60 now and still unmarried. I regret divorcing but don't see my singleness as a wasted life. There is a lotthat I can do for God as a single person.There were a lot of productive, single people in the Bible. Jesus was one of them.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,218
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  3

This is what the bible says about  marriage :

Marriage is not for everyone

from Jesus:

But Jesus said, "Not everyone is mature enough to live a married life. It requires a certain aptitude and grace. Marriage isn't for everyone.

Some, from birth seemingly, never give marriage a thought. Others never get asked or accepted. And some decide not to get married for kingdom reasons. But if you're capable of growing into the largeness of marriage, do it.

(Mathew 19:11-12 MSG)

from Paul

Sometimes I wish everyone were single like me—a simpler life in many ways! But celibacy is not for everyone any more than marriage is. God gives the gift of the single life to some, the gift of the married life to others.

(1 Corinthians 7:7 MSG)

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, Worship Warriors said:

This is what the bible says about  marriage

Marriage is not for everyone  from Jesus:

But Jesus said, "Not everyone is mature enough to live a married life. It requires a certain aptitude and grace. Marriage isn't for everyone. Some, from birth seemingly, never give marriage a thought. Others never get asked or accepted. And some decide not to get married for kingdom reasons. But if you're capable of growing into the largeness of marriage, do it.

(Mathew 19:11-12 MSG)

Jesus Christ NEVER said that the reason some people live a horrible life of loneliness and never have a spouse is because they are too immature to be married.  You are reading from THE MESSAGE which is one man's - not a translation team - but one mans retelling of the Bible in this own fanciful words with lots of figures of speech and interpretations and interjections of his own thoughts.  AND a lot of just plain out made up words that God never said.

Here what Jesus actually said when he was teaching about divorce and how wrong it is.

Matthew 19:11-12 ESV= "11 But he said to them, “Not everyone can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given. 12 For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it.”

Look at this  link from Biblehub.com and you will see the 30 major accepted Bibles ALL say the same thing.     https://biblehub.com/matthew/19-12.htm

Mr. Peterson, who wrote the fanciful Message, really messed this verse up.  What you posted that Matthew 19:12 says and what it actually says in all reputable Bible are as different as daylight and dark.

What Jesus said is to his disciples when they said marriage was too hard if you couldn't divorce was this:

•  For men - some were born a eunuch [unable to have sex - impotent for life]
  •  Some were castrated by others - therefore, no sex
  •  And some chose to live a life with no sex to focus on the kingdom and that whoever could accept this should accept it.

Please, please reconsider The MESSAGE and find another Bible.

Edited by Jayne
  • This is Worthy 1