• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  269
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/27/2019 at 9:46 AM, JohnD said:

It occurs to me that the term itself should be defined / debated / discussed.

What IS prophecy?

I gather most assume it is entirely PREDICTIVE prophecy.

Mysticism.

A kind of insight some people have over others (who don't have it).

Before I give the definition I have evidence of...

I wonder what ♥ Worthy Posters ♥ think / feel / believe / know prophecy is.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Prophecy is the ROOT of our 'theology'. How we interpret Scripture encompasses what prophecy IS. 

How the individual interprets the fulfillment of Scripture will determine his/her theology. Unfortunately, people develop theology first - THEN attempt to interpret Scripture BASED on that theology. Scripture is "from God" while theology comes from "man". When the two are at odds with each other - modern 'experts' will go out of the way to protect and defend their theology over and above Scripture even when Scripture itself gives us the interpretation.

You also seem to be asking a separate question concerning "prophets" or people who predict future events (fortunetellers)? I believe this site will not allow anyone to say anything negative about someone who "has a vision or dream" or "hears a voice in their head"? Like the Bereans, we must study Scripture for ourselves and compare what someone says with God's Word. It (and time) are the FINAL say in the matter.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/01/1917

Paul said, "Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy and forbid not to speak with tongues."  We ALL (believers) can prophesy, we simply have to ask God for Him to use us to speak forth what He wants us to say. Jesus said: "Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto The Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a man that is a householder which bringeth forth out of his treasure: things new and old." He meant that we should be not just remembering things we know when we speak but learning from The Spirit of Prophecy that which we need to speak. 

The testimony of Jesus is: The Spirit of Prophecy!