• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

8 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Frankly, I assumed you were here trying to get answers, but I'm getting a different "vibe" now.

I've come to this conclusion towards the beginning of the opening post. Members of this forum are being 'baited'. I'm also opting out of this topic. God bless! 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/24/1997

2 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

I wanted you to bring it up before I addressed it. Thank you. 

The ten commandments are not about punishment. They ARE God's instructions on how to live your life as it relates to God (five of them) and how it relates to other men (five others). And guess what? Jesus brought it home to more than just actions, but ATTITUDE:

Matthew 5:21-22

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister[c] will be subject to judgment."

Can you tell me more specifically, why the 10 commandments are something we should keep, but not the other instructions from God?

2 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

I've come to this conclusion towards the beginning of the opening post. Members of this forum are being 'baited'. 

I would like to copy my old answer : " I talked about evolution in another subforum earlier and people accused me of not trying to find the truth and that Im just trying to proof something wrong. Im "getting the vibe" that people automatically assume this everytime things get uncomfortable or when the odds start to stand against you, as a natural defense mechanism. "

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

4 minutes ago, Leyla said:

evolution in another subforum earlier and people accused me of not trying to find the truth and that im just trying to proof something wrong. Im "getting the vibe" that people automatically assume this everytime things get uncomfortable or when the odds start to stand against you, as a natural defense mechanism.

Define "automatically".

Thing is, there is sincere questioning which, sometimes, can appear to be adversarial. It is something I do sometimes. But then there is just plain adversarial questioning. 

I'm seeing the latter in your posts as I continue to build a perspective based on the whole of your questions. It reminds me of something Josh McDowell said to a particularly argumentative student at a speech. I paraphrasse the end of the encounter:

Student: I have a head problem with all this nonsense about Jesus rising from the dead.

Josh: If I could somehow go back and give you videotape evidence of Jesus rising from the dead, THEN would you believe.

Student: No.

Josh: Then you don't have a head problem. You have a heart problem.

Leyla, I can not intellectually convince you of the truth of Christianity. All I can do is break down the intellectual barriers blocking belief. If, for you, it is not really a head problem, but a heart problem, there is nothing I can say right now to convince you. You are at a place where you simply don't want to believe. You are gonna have to work on that one yourself. 

But at the end of the day, if he chooses you, you will understand. If not, well, like I mantioned regarding Ecclesiastes, You will "eat and drink and enjoy the fruits of your labor", and believe whatever it is you make the intellectual decision to believe, and then you die. In that time you may do great things to help other people. But it will have nothing to do with whether or not you spend eternity with Christ if you reject him. You will have brought joy to other people, similar to how a nice car does.

5 minutes ago, Leyla said:

Can you tell me more specifically, why the 10 commandments are something we should keep, but not the other instructions from God?

What other instructions?

What else did God write on tablets that were to be preserved within the Ark of the Covenant?

30 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Define "automatically".

Defining a human reaction is  hard and this instance doesnt always happen. But if it was a computer programm it would look something like this.       If question ==  uncomfortable:  print("you are not looking for the truth" / "youre just trying to get your points across etc.")

Student: I have a head problem with all this nonsense about Jesus rising from the dead.

Josh: If I could somehow go back and give you videotape evidence of Jesus rising from the dead, THEN would you believe.

Student: No.

Josh: Then you don't have a head problem. You have a heart problem.

If you documated that videotape well and if we can assume that it wasnt modified, then  that videotape wold have a very significant meaning and I would be normal to believe that he was risen. The problem is that the scientific standards are high. We would need for example multiple blood samples from independed researches, before death and after hes risen or other ways to identify that he is jesus, died and was risen. If a student would reject a videotape of the risen jesus, then it only means that he has a really, (maybe unreasonably high) standard.

Leyla, I can not intellectually convince you of the truth of Christianity. All I can do is break down the intellectual barriers blocking belief. If, for you, it is not really a head problem, but a heart problem, there is nothing I can say right now to convince you. You are at a place where you simply don't want to believe. You are gonna have to work on that one yourself.

Why do you think that I dont want to believe? I cant just accept and believe everything that is presented, I need to think first alot about this subject. This thread is called christianity vs other religions, so I thought it was a good place, to show the similarities I found in christianity and for example my old faith.

28 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

What other instructions?

What else did God write on tablets that were to be preserved within the Ark of the Covenant?

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 18 “If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, 19 then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, 20 and they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ 21 mThen all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. nSo you shall purge the evil from your midst, oand all Israel shall hear, and fear. 

22 minutes ago, Dove said:

Sodom and Gomorha were filled with terrible people.  Not even 10 righteous people could be found in the whole city of Sodom.  Lot and his family were spared but those left behind deserved their fate.  You can read the full story to get a better understanding of it.

Even the babies were terrible? How can exclusively bad cities exist in the past and where are they now? We dont even nuke ISIS, because of the innocent people it would kill.

22 minutes ago, Dove said:

This form of slavery was more respectful than typical slavery and rules were set to ensure the servants were treated well and eventually set free.  It was also a way for someone who had nothing to get by and make a living under the care of another who was better off while they built up their own wealth.

Exodus

20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.                      That doesnt sound like nice treatment of slaves.     [Edit Can "respectful" slavery really exist? Is it possible to even imagine that?]

Edited by Leyla

59 minutes ago, Leyla said:

Defining a human reaction is  hard and this instance doesnt always happen. But if it was a computer programm it would look something like this.       If question ==  uncomfortable:  print("you are not looking for the truth" / "youre just trying to get your points across etc.")

Well, then I was not "automatically" making that determination. 

Think of it this way, I argue politics a lot with leftists. What happens is that no matter what I say, they bring up contrarian "questions" that just lead down a rabbit hole of questions all designed to waste my time. It's is apparent because of the type of questions. But I don't make the determination automatically. It takes a lot of questions of a certain type as well as a certain conversation style that gives me a strong impression that they are not really there to get answers, but to support their own positions. 

1 hour ago, Leyla said:

Even the babies were terrible? How can exclusively bad cities exist in the past and where are they now? We dont even nuke ISIS, because of the innocent people it would kill.

At one time, Hitler was a baby.

1 hour ago, Leyla said:

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 18 “If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, 19 then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, 20 and they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ 21 mThen all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. nSo you shall purge the evil from your midst, oand all Israel shall hear, and fear. 

That theocracy no longer exists. And what you are quoting is laws made by men, not God. It was their answer to the situation based on the environment in which they lived and God's general instruction. It was an attempt to civilize their culture at a time when mankind's sensibilities were quite different than they are today. 

Regarding everything we've talked about, I recommend checking out this site:

http://www.moreunseenrealm.com/

Edited by Still Alive

7 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Well, then I was not "automatically" making that determination. 

Think of it this way, I argue politics a lot with leftists. What happens is that no matter what I say, they bring up contrarian "questions" that just lead down a rabbit hole of questions all designed to waste my time. It's is apparent because of the type of questions. But I don't make the determination automatically. It takes a lot of questions of a certain type as well as a certain conversation style that gives me a strong impression that they are not really there to get answers, but to support their own positions. 

Good thing im not a leftist then. I would vote for a capitalistic party, if I got the chance.  Can I ask you how leftist have anything to do with the way we wrote? Also, when have I ever not considered an answer here? I read all replies, examine them carefully and give the best response I can think of

Edited by Leyla

3 minutes ago, Leyla said:

Good thing im not a leftist then. I would vote for a capitalistic party, if I got the chance.  Can I ask you how leftist have anything to do with the way we wrote? Also, when have I ever not considered an answer here? I read all replies, examine them carefully and give the best response I can think of

Think of it like this hypothetical:

I love my Ferrari. Some guy comes on to the Ferrari forum and want's to know what is so good about them and keeps comparing them to Lamborghinis. And when I say that they have really good red paint, the poster says, but Lambo's have really good paint. And I say, but Lambo paint has been shown to only last four years while Ferrari paint lasts 10 years, And they say, but doesn't that depend on climate.  I say it takes that into account, and they say, but doesn't driving style matter. 

They are no longer asking honest questions. Rather, they are being argumentative, probably because they own a Lambo and are really on the site to "prove" that Lambos are better than Ferraris.

I've addressed every single question you've asked, but you seem to be going into "argumentative" mode with them. This is puzzling to me because anyone who has honestly researched Christianity and Islam can see clearly the stark difference between the two. And even when "Christians" act out violently "in the name of Christ", they are violating Chriist's teaching, while Muslims who act out violently "in the name of Allah" are obeying the quran. But you have to be familiar with both to fully grasp that - and its significance. Heck, some will try to make the argument that Hitler was a "christian". Not only is that absurd, but Muslims in the Middle east actually partnered with Hitler due to their common enemy, the Jews.