Sign in to follow this  
theInquirer

Christianity vs Other Religions

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Well, we can agree, actually. But only from the perspective that anything's possible. ;)

I also dont think that everythings possible, everything is bound to limitation. However why do you assume that creating life is part of that limitation? [Edit: I think i misread your answer lol, thought you did not believe that everythings possible]

Edited by Leyla
edit

3 minutes ago, Leyla said:

Well, dark matter is quite a mystery, maybe we will understand more about it. Just because its a mystery for us now, doesnt mean that it will be a mystery forever.

Maybe it doesn't exist. ;)

Just now, Leyla said:

I also dont think that everythings possible, everything is bound to limitation. However why do you assume that creating life is part of that limitation?

I think that everything is possible - for God. I think that when Adam walked with God, he was walking with Jesus. I believe Jacob wrestled with Jesus. I believe that the fourth man in the furnace was Jesus. 

The only way we can find out if we can do a thing is to try to do it. I will believe we can create life from non life the day we actually do it. Until then it is an hypothesis

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Maybe it doesn't exist. ;)

Do you have a better explanation than dark matter?

6 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

I think that everything is possible - for God. I think that when Adam walked with God, he was walking with Jesus. I believe Jacob wrestled with Jesus. I believe that the fourth man in the furnace was Jesus. 

The only way we can find out if we can do a thing is to try to do it. I will believe we can create life from non life the day we actually do it. Until then it is an hypothesis

Do you have any convincing reason to believe that anythings possible for God and that Adam walked with God? There are thousands of religions. Just saying that its a hypothesis and that we only find  out the truth when we die, means that religion is mostly a huge waste of time during our limited time on earth. If religion is true, then its a very serious matter because our afterlife depends on it, so we have to try to find the truth.

Edited by Leyla

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Leyla said:

Do you have a better explanation than dark matter?

Do you have any convincing reason to believe that anythings possible for God and that Adam walked with God? There are thousands of religions. Just saying that its a hypothesis and that we only find  out the truth when we die, means that religion is mostly a huge waste of time during our limited time on earth. If religion is true, then its a very serious matter because our afterlife depends on it, so we have to try to find the truth.

Not that's gonna convince you. You should have used the name "Thomas".

Edited by Still Alive

10 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

I think that everything is possible - for God.

It doesnt make sense, for everything to be possible. If God made an unstoppable force and an unmoveable object.. what would happen? Could the unstoppable force move the object? then its not an unmovable object. Could the unmoveable object stop an unstoppable force? Then the force is not unstoppable. If God cant make both things at the same time, then hes not omnipotent and not everythings possible for him, so even God is bound to limitations, if we assume that the same laws of logic apply  to God. Even if we assume that its possible for God to do illogical things in the place he is right now(seems to be outside our universe, and we dont know what laws of logic/physics apply there) we can still try to assume what would be possible for God if he was inside of our universe. Inside of our universe, its impossible for everything to be possible.

10 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Not that's gonna convince you. You should have used the name "Thomas".

If its not something that can convince me, why does it convince you?

8 minutes ago, Leyla said:

It doesn't make sense, for everything to be possible. If God made an unstoppable force and an unmovable object. what would happen? Could the unstoppable force move the object? Then its not an unmovable object. Could the unmovable object stop an unstoppable force? Then the force is not unstoppable. If God cant make both things at the same time, then hes not omnipotent and not everything's possible for him, so even God is bound to limitations, if we assume that the same laws of logic apply  to God. Even if we assume that its possible for God to do illogical things in the place he is right now(seems to be outside our universe, and we don't know what laws of logic/physics apply there) we can still try to assume what would be possible for God if he was inside of our universe. Inside of our universe, its impossible for everything to be possible.

God isn't bound by limitations and He doesn't do illogical things so don't expect Him to put your unstoppable force vs immovable object experiment to the test.  He created the laws that keep our universe together and has the power to break them.

33 minutes ago, Leyla said:

It doesnt make sense, for everything to be possible. If God made an unstoppable force and an unmoveable object.. what would happen? Could the unstoppable force move the object? then its not an unmovable object. Could the unmoveable object stop an unstoppable force? Then the force is not unstoppable. If God cant make both things at the same time, then hes not omnipotent and not everythings possible for him, so even God is bound to limitations, if we assume that the same laws of logic apply  to God. Even if we assume that its possible for God to do illogical things in the place he is right now(seems to be outside our universe, and we dont know what laws of logic/physics apply there) we can still try to assume what would be possible for God if he was inside of our universe. Inside of our universe, its impossible for everything to be possible.

Ah...the old "Omnipotence Paradox".  These, including yours here, have been around for decades.

The Christian understands that for God to do things such as this - or "create a rock he cannot lift" - would mean that God would create a nonsensical contradiction.  God is not about nonsense and he is about order, not chaotical contradictions.  It's not that he can't.....it's that he won't.  It defies his nature. 

It's like God lying.  It's impossible for God to lie.  Why?  Because God is the source of all truth.  His word is truth.  Lying would mean his holy nature is defied.

I know that's not the answer you want, but it's the truth.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Ah...the old "Omnipotence Paradox".  These, including yours here, have been around for decades.

The Christian understands that for God to do things such as this - or "create a rock he cannot lift" - would mean that God would create a nonsensical contradiction.  God is not about nonsense and he is about order, not chaotical contradictions.  It's not that he can't.....it's that he won't.  It defies his nature.

How do you know the nature of God and that he is not nonsensical? 99.9% of all life forms that ever lived went exinct. Is it nonsensical to make life forms just to let them die off again? If genesis was true, then God went through the trouble, to make it look like we went through evolution and that we descendend from animals, just to fool around with us. What about the laryngeal nerve in mammals that is unnecesarry long, wasting important and expensive nerve tissue. The nerve makes a loop around our aoritc arch for noooo reason. Imagine how much nerve tissue is wasted in animals with a long neck for example giraffes. Based on our observations, can we really say that God is not nonsensical?

Recurrent laryngeal nerve
A diagram showing the recurrent laryngeal nerve

15 minutes ago, Jayne said:

It's like God lying.  It's impossible for God to lie.  Why?  Because God is the source of all truth.  His word is truth.  Lying would mean his holy nature is defied.

I know that's not the answer you want, but it's the truth.

How do you know that its impossible for God to lie? Is the reason, why you think that God cant lie, good enough to convince others? If its not good enough to convince others, why is it good enough for you?

Edited by Leyla

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Leyla said:

How do you know the nature of God and that he is not nonsensical? 99.9% of all life forms that ever lived went exinct. Is it nonsensical to make life forms just to let them die off again? If genesis was true, then God went through the trouble, to make it look like we went through evolution and that we descendend from animals, just to fool around with us. What about the laryngeal nerve in mammals that are unnecesarry long, wasting important and expensive nerve tissue. The nerve makes aloop around aour aoritc arch for noooo reason. Imagine how much nerve tissue is wasted in animals with a long neck for example giraffes. Based on our observations, can we really say that God is not nonsensical? 

Recurrent laryngeal nerve
A diagram showing the recurrent laryngeal nerve

How do you know that its impossible for God to lie? Is the reason, why you think that God cant lie, good enough to convince others? If its not good enough to convince others, why is it good enough for you?

How do I know the nature of God?  I've read the Bible and I've known God since I was 8 years old.

Why did God make it look like evolution were true?  He did not do that.  The Fossil record all across the stratum of rock layers proves he did not.  There are no transitional fossils and there should be countless ones if evolution is true.  And if the clam shells and such at the bottom - at a layer that is "supposed" to be 4.5 billion years old - look the same as clams today - I see no evolution.

How do you know that the laryngeal nerve serves no purpose?  Do you have evidence of that or did you just take Richard Dawkins word for it.

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this