Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,274
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

This week two separate incidents happened at the Grand Canyon, resulting in the deaths of two foreign tourists.   The latest death resulted from the 50 year old man stumbling while taking photos, and falling 1,000 feet into the canyon.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/grand-canyon-tourist-falls-to-his-death-while-taking-photos-2019-03-29/

In 7 years, 259 people have died while taking selfies, the majority of them being men.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

People fall to their death fairly often at the grand canyon. It isnt always a case of being stupid and jumping to the edge. Wind gusts can be quite strong at times and blow someone off if they are too close to the edge. 

When I was in high school in arizona, a fellow student told the story of her twin sister, who fell to her death at the grand canyon.

Important safety tip btw, do not hike the same trails the donkeys use. They have the right of way and can force you to the outside of a narrow trail. Sometimes you can be pushed off. 

1 hour ago, ayin jade said:

People fall to their death fairly often at the grand canyon. It isnt always a case of being stupid and jumping to the edge. Wind gusts can be quite strong at times and blow someone off if they are too close to the edge. 

When I was in high school in arizona, a fellow student told the story of her twin sister, who fell to her death at the grand canyon.

Important safety tip btw, do not hike the same trails the donkeys use. They have the right of way and can force you to the outside of a narrow trail. Sometimes you can be pushed off. 

Years ago I visited the Grand Canyon once on a day trip with a few of my family that lived in Arizona.    But because I don't like heights, I made sure not to get too close to the edge.   I sat on a big rock and my mom took a photo of me with the Canyon in the background.   I took some other nice photos, too, just the scenery.   A thunderstorm came up suddenly....the native American women gathered their beads and blankets to leave.   We had bought some beads from them.   As we were driving away, I watched as enormous lightning bolts were striking down into the bottom of the Grand Canyon.   It was really quite the sight to see!!   I love thunderstorms so it was quite special.    Afterwards we found a small motel and ate in the dining room.   They also had a nice gift shop where I got a silver and coral cross made by the native Americans.   Just a day trip but it is a good memory to me.   We still have the beads and the cross.

• Loved it! 1

I love going to the jewelry stands by the side of the road around the canyon. One of the times I was there, lightning struck one of the tourist trams and killed the engine. No one was hurt (thank the Lord). I have some nice photos (someplace around the house lol) of storms moving up through the canyon.

There is a tree prevalent around there called a bristlecone pine. Rather an ugly tree, or a tree with lots of character. The cool thing about that type of tree is that they can be 4000 years old.

• Loved it! 2

4 hours ago, ayin jade said:

I love going to the jewelry stands by the side of the road around the canyon. One of the times I was there, lightning struck one of the tourist trams and killed the engine. No one was hurt (thank the Lord). I have some nice photos (someplace around the house lol) of storms moving up through the canyon.

There is a tree prevalent around there called a bristlecone pine. Rather an ugly tree, or a tree with lots of character. The cool thing about that type of tree is that they can be 4000 years old.

Have you been to the Grand Canyon often? 

The first time I went to Phoenix was in 1972.   A few family members moved there after our little, brief earthquake in 1971 scared them out of California.   One of my uncles was driving me around for sightseeing.   A herd of wild horses actually raced across the road!   There was desert on each side of the road although we were really in the city.   Then later a bull was in the middle of the road!   My uncle got out of the car to try to chase him off!   Anyhow, those were the years....

49 minutes ago, Debp said:

Have you been to the Grand Canyon often? 

The first time I went to Phoenix was in 1972.   A few family members moved there after our little, brief earthquake in 1971 scared them out of California.   One of my uncles was driving me around for sightseeing.   A herd of wild horses actually raced across the road!   There was desert on each side of the road although we were really in the city.   Then later a bull was in the middle of the road!   My uncle got out of the car to try to chase him off!   Anyhow, those were the years....

Since I live in arizona, Ive been there many times. If the animals were on the reservation, they were not wild. Its just open range up there. Ive had my share of encounters with cows sheep and horses in the road. 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

it is really most difficult to capture the real size of the canyon in a picture    The things like people that you normally try and get in the photo are so small you can't see them..

grand-canyon.jpg

GrandCanyon.jpg

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

My older Sister was fortunate enough to visit the grand canyon.. She said it was breath taking.. She walked out on the U shaped bridge with a see thro bottom ? she liked that a lot.. 

They are very good pictures Other one.. Thanks for posting them..

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Since I live in arizona, Ive been there many times. If the animals were on the reservation, they were not wild. Its just open range up there. Ive had my share of encounters with cows sheep and horses in the road. 

Since it was 1972 and the racing herd of horses, and then the bull were right in the Phoenix area, I was just thinking this was how Phoenix used to be....before getting built up.   I think the horses and the bull were in the Cave Creek area if I recall it right.

There are wild burros out by lake pleasant, just northwest of phoenix. There are wild horses too by the salt river east of phoenix but I dont know what their range was back in 72. 

Phoenix metro area has greatly changed since the early 70s. We have lost the unique character of arizona. Back then, guys mostly wore bolo ties. Women and some men wore indian jewelry. Its rare to see that now. The area is one big nondescript city.