• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Vietnam.jpg.9feb7fd22a837b88cb56b6cacd3acdd9.jpg

Thank You for your service.............

John 15:13  "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,528
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

Never heard of it. When did a separate Memorial Day observance for Vietnam war start?

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

Never heard of it. When did a separate Memorial Day observance for Vietnam war start?

Almost nobody else has heard of it either.  
The Vietnam 'conflict' is the war most Americans believe 'best forgotten' 
The higher ups are trying to 'make up' still for what the veterans received returning home from war.
The citizenry, California mostly,  greeted them with their ticker tape parade; tomatoes-eggs-spit.
The vets did not start the war. The politicians did. People forget. Vets remember........
I thank God returning veterans today receive their due. Freedom is not free.

On March 29, 2012, President Barack Obama proclaimed March 29, 2012, as Vietnam Veterans Day.
On March 28, 2017, President Trump signed the Vietnam War Veterans Recognition Act of 2017.
This act officially recognizes March 29 as National Vietnam War Veterans Day.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Sower said:

Almost nobody else has heard of it either.  
The Vietnam 'conflict' is the war most Americans believe 'best forgotten' 
The higher ups are trying to 'make up' still for what the veterans received returning home from war.
The citizenry, California mostly,  greeted them with their ticker tape parade; tomatoes-eggs-spit.
The vets did not start the war. The politicians did. People forget. Vets remember........
I thank God returning veterans today receive their due. Freedom is not free.

On March 29, 2012, President Barack Obama proclaimed March 29, 2012, as Vietnam Veterans Day.
On March 28, 2017, President Trump signed the Vietnam War Veterans Recognition Act of 2017.
This act officially recognizes March 29 as National Vietnam War Veterans Day.

As a Vietnam Veteran myself, I was not aware of this until recently. You are right, Vets remember, and freedom is not free. Even as we came home, the war was not over for us. Aside from the demonstrations, the name calling, and the rejection, the images of what we had seen and done, are still with us today. Thanks for your acknowledgement and respectful thoughts towards us. You don't know how much it really means to finally find acceptance from the people of our country.

Gary

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

34 minutes ago, bropro said:

As a Vietnam Veteran myself, I was not aware of this until recently. You are right, Vets remember, and freedom is not free. Even as we came home, the war was not over for us. Aside from the demonstrations, the name calling, and the rejection, the images of what we had seen and done, are still with us today. Thanks for your acknowledgement and respectful thoughts towards us. You don't know how much it really means to finally find acceptance from the people of our country.

Gary

Actually, I do know bropro. VN, 66-67-68
Thank you for your kind words

Gary Lee
In Him Who is
Semper Fidelis

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,528
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I guess I missed  the demonstrationsagainst. What I remember as  a very young funeral director employee was the very first casualty we received, a Marine in 1964.  and then for the 169 more on through 1972 that I had some personal part in serving their family as a funeral director  and memorial park director. 

We also gathered supplies from within  the community to send over to soldiers by name to their squads in the field. We learned how to make sure the supplies got to them and not get intercepted. Our community rallied behind the cause. We bagged up foot powder, Dr. Shoal foot pads, socks, Jello, cool-aid, shaving stuff, cookies, etc. and had them strung together in baggies on a string line addressed to specific soldiers whose names were given to us by  survival assostance officers at Ft. MacArthur.  By having a name the goods got through to the field wherever the named person was. We saw on newscasts our strings of supplies beng offloaded on sites  in the field from helicopters.

We had memorial day services where over two thousand would attend to honor the fallen during that era. 

• Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, Sower said:

Actually, I do know bropro. VN, 66-67-68
Thank you for your kind words

Gary Lee
In Him Who is
Semper Fidelis.

Welcome Home Gary Lee, from Gary Lee. I was with 1st Battalion 4th Marines 1968-69. If it was not for the grace and mercy of God, I personally don't think I would have made it.

Gary

30 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

I guess I missed  the demonstrationsagainst. What I remember as  a very young funeral director employee was the very first casualty we received, a Marine in 1964.  and then for the 169 more on through 1972 that I had some personal part in serving their family as a funeral director  and memorial park director. 

We also gathered supplies from within  the community to send over to soldiers by name to their squads in the field. We learned how to make sure the supplies got to them and not get intercepted. Our community rallied behind the cause. We bagged up foot powder, Dr. Shoal foot pads, socks, Jello, cool-aid, shaving stuff, cookies, etc. and had them strung together in baggies on a string line addressed to specific soldiers whose names were given to us by  survival assostance officers at Ft. MacArthur.  By having a name the goods got through to the field wherever the named person was. We saw on newscasts our strings of supplies beng offloaded on sites  in the field from helicopters.

We had memorial day services where over two thousand would attend to honor the fallen during that era. 

Thanks for your part in supporting our troops while they were there. Maybe I should have used anti-war protests rather than demonstrations. It was a real morale killer when we would hear of them.

Gary

32 minutes ago, bropro said:

Welcome Home Gary Lee, from Gary Lee. I was with 1st Battalion 4th Marines 1968-69. If it was not for the grace and mercy of God, I personally don't think I would have made it.

Gary

Glad you did make it Gary. I was 1st Mar Div, 3rd Marines, 1st arm amphib. 
I Core, Chu Lia-Danang-DMZ.
Yes, God's great mercy, and His amazing grace. 
Why did we make it?
God has a plan.........
default_cool2.gif.87fa6e29ac6d6686585ed95dd2bb442a.gif
And He is Semper Fidelis

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  31