IGNORED

Is there a difference between joy and happiness?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

From a biblical standpoint, do you believe there is a difference between joy and happiness? If you can provide verses to support your stance, please cite them. Thank you!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

32 minutes ago, snugpug240 said:

From a biblical standpoint, do you believe there is a difference between joy and happiness? If you can provide verses to support your stance, please cite them. Thank you!

Interesting question, snugpug. I always had a frame of mind, that happiness was a general sense of contentment, and well-being in our place with the Lord. Joy on the other hand, was something of like an elated feeling one can get, such as worship and praise. And joyful feelings in general, can come and go at times, not being a continual state of emotion. However, when glancing through a brief biblical commentary, it said the opposite was true. Oh well. There goes my train of thought! God bless you for bringing up the topic.  

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles 

Nehemiah 8:10 KJV Then he said unto them, go thy way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither by ye  sorry; for the joy of the Lord is your strength 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

1 hour ago, snugpug240 said:

I think it should be lie peace and contentment. An inner sense of well being. That only comes from God. I don't have specific scripture right now 

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom sister,

Take a look at the below links for the specific use of the words your mentioned, which might be of help:

JOY

• Hebrew: Chedvah - Strong's 2304
  • Greek: Chara - Strong's 5479

HAPPINESS

• Hebrew: Osher - Strong's 837
  • Greek: Makarios - Strong's 3107

As for my opinion and how I understand it, Joy is the root of Happiness, which is a fruit.  Now, if the fruit is gone, you can still have Joy.

For example, I feel Joy inside me, from the Spirit of God.  Sometimes I can be happy and other times I can be sad. However, during those times that Joy is still present within me, unshakeable, albeit varying in effervescence. Now you could call it Peace instead of Joy, but that doesn't quite describe it positively enough. Perhaps the better word is Shalom (Strong's 7965).

But perhaps Joy/Shalom is not the root of Happiness, but also a fruit of something much deeper?  Maybe the order goes:

Alignment to Yahweh >> Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit) >> Eternal Life >> Joy/Shalom >> Love >> Happiness >> etc.

If you take away from this list, one-by-one, starting from the right, the rest will still stand.  However, if you take away from the left, the rest will come tumbling down.

Love & Shalom

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  185
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Joy is something eternal that that is measured on obedience and . Happiness is a feeling that is temporal and cannot be measured on the grounds of faith.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 3/31/2019 at 5:58 PM, snugpug240 said:

Hard to provide verses, since I'm not sure there is a verse that references happiness specifically, while many reference joy.

Joy = despite circumstances, feeling upbeat and feeling like God has your back

Happiness = temporary circumstances provide feeling, a TV show, winning a lottery, a good meal

• Thanks 1

Guest In Him

Rid me, and deliver me from the hand of strange children, whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand is a right hand of falsehood:

That our sons may be as plants grown up in their youth; that our daughters may be as corner stones, polished after the similitude of a palace:

That our garners may be full, affording all manner of store: that our sheep may bring forth thousands and ten thousands in our streets:

That our oxen may be strong to labour; that there be no breaking in, nor going out; that there be no complaining in our streets.

Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD. Psalm 144:11-15 ❤️

Edited by In Him

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Both joy and happy are found within a state of felicity. Yet it is more likely that one can count sadness for joy, but not sadness as happy but merely content. It is a matter of countenance maintained or fallen.

Joy being a process and happy being a result. [ How about that?]  - From deep in my heart deep in my heart....:) :) :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

Word-studies

Cognate: 5479 xará (another feminine noun from the root xar-, "extend favor, lean towards, be favorably disposed") – properly, the awareness (of God's) grace, favor; joy ("grace recognized").

According to this we have joy when we recognize God's grace, His underserved mercy.  Personally, I have joy just fellowshipping with God.  There is deep contentment in it as well, and a sense of well being even when circumstance are not the best.  The joy of the Lord is my strength.

The beatitudes start with the word blessed, which also means happy and to be envied.  I don't always associate the circumstances in the beatitudes with happiness, such as being persecuted.  I think of happy as being  pleased, delighted or merry.  They are transient feelings the way I use them and are more superficial since they are dependent on circumstances.    Perhaps the word has changed in meaning slightly.  When I am going through trials I may be rejoicing in the Lord and have joy;  I don't remember being happy as in gleeful.  

• Thumbs Up 3