Spirit, soul, body

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

A point in our sermon tonight was about the Spiritual man, the Soulish or natural man, and the carnal or fleshly man.  

That is the order they should be in: our spirits with the Holy Spirit should rule  our soul/selfish/natural man and the flesh as well. 

The natural man with all its education and selfishness should not rule over our spirits and our flesh.  This person sometimes is void of compassion because he is so bound by his logic.  

It is really chaos and sin when our flesh rules over our spirits and our intellect.  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • This is Worthy 1

• 7 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  337
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/1/2019 at 7:05 AM, Willa said:

A point in our sermon tonight was about the Spiritual man, the Soulish or natural man, and the carnal or fleshly man.  

That is the order they should be in: our spirits with the Holy Spirit should rule  our soul/selfish/natural man and the flesh as well. 

The natural man with all its education and selfishness should not rule over our spirits and our flesh.  This person sometimes is void of compassion because he is so bound by his logic.  

It is really chaos and sin when our flesh rules over our spirits and our intellect.  

Hi Willa,,,

this is right on target...

The following image demonstrates what you've stated.

Our spirit does indeed have an effect on our soul and even our body.

• Image result for image of body soul spirit
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

607263769_BodySoulSpirit1101.jpg.9a58fb30d6b316b644812fdd7402ba28.jpg

If what I believe is true, then the body and spirit are distinct... separate natures,,, of

two totally different realities...

The soul (which is a hybrid of the two) is a buffer between the two realities.

It only exists when and where the two (body and spirit) coexist or overlap (so to speak).

If true,

it would also resolve some vexing scripture passages about our state in death.

That we:

A. continue after death in conscious awareness

B. fall asleep (cease to function) and return to dust via decay

C. that we cease to exist

Death being defined as the absence of the spirit from the body...

A. the spirit continues in conscious awareness in the disembodied state

B. the body no longer functions and appears to be asleep but begins the process of decay at once

C. the soul ceases to exist as there is no longer a coexisting overlap of the two realities

In the resurrection, we will become spirit bodies (the two realities become the new reality).

1 Corinthians 15:44–45 (AV)
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

1 John 3:2 (AV)
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear,                                                                                                                          we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

A like fusion of two realities will also be in the New Heavens and New Earth since our resurrected bodies will be like his

and we will be with the Lord eternally... 

I believe the old Heavens and old Earth will be replaced with a composite the New Heaven-Earth.

We will be like him in our resurrected bodies, but

we will not be as gods (like the Mormons and others mistakenly believe)

we will only be like the human nature of the resurrected Christ

in our resurrected human nature.

Blessings.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,065
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

When born the inner man is dead and the only resource is through the senses of body...
1809610795_compoBodySoulSpiritwithoutname245.jpg.bd9435f1bf4e54a1805ff5ed956f80f7.jpg
when born again the inner man is created by God's entrance into the deadness...

Rev 3:20
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

2 Cor 5:17
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Eph 3:16
16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
KJV

There is a growth process of renewing the mind (completely) 

Rom 12:2

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
KJV

Satan has been restructuring the created world by ideology and system to make the created essence everything for this was the lie he formed in himself in his own departure from truth

Isa 14:12-15

12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
KJV

The New Born Being that we have become in s/Spirit, the soul (mind, will and emotion) now aligns itself to that which is being kept as to the only real and important value due to God's value system...

Col 2:7

7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
KJV

1 Peter 2:5

5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
KJV

Where once the physical food was everything that has been replaced by The Word of God (as Christ in the temptation)

Matt 4:4

4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
KJV

as our lives everything and this witness of Paul

Gal 2:20

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
KJV
Realizing faith 

Heb 11:1-3
 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
KJV
summary of thought process:
We are not of this world and we are alien to it's desires and as we grow this increases in war with our own selves as the body wants it's pleasures in this death but the inner man has another life not yet here and to live in this faith the only recourse whereby The Holy Spirit is not grieved.... 

Col 3:1-4

3 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
KJV

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Works of the flesh are in total contrast to the fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 5:19-21 

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:22-23 

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Chapter Four

WHAT IS MAN?

What is man, that thou art mindful of him?

(Psalms 8:4)

I.   THE PARTS OF MAN

A.                A Physical Body

It should be obvious to the reader that we all have physical bodies, which contain our being and with which we contact the physical world that we live in. But what about that which is not so obvious: the parts of our being that are contained within our physical bodies? Many, many philosophies and schools of thought have come and gone in continuing efforts by man to understand and describe himself. Can man possibly be objective about himself? Obviously not! Would it not be both more objective and useful to find out what man's Creator has to say about man?

B. The Human Soul (See Appendix III.)

... and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved entire ... (I Thess.  5:23)

Man is a three‑part being, having not only a physical body but also a soul and a spirit. What does our soul encompass, and what is our soul composed of?

My soul continually thinks ... (Lam. 3:20 Revised Standard Version).

.  . And that my soul knoweth ... (Psalm  139:14)

As these verses show, the mind is one of the parts of the soul.

And my soul shall be joyful in Jehovah: It shall rejoice in his salvation. (Psalm  35:9)

... my soul shall weep ... (Jer . 13:17)

Tell me, 0 thou whom my soul loveth ... (SS. 1:7)

And if your soul abhor ... (Lev.  26:15)

The emotions are another part of the soul.

Our soul hath waited ... (Ps. 33:201.

So that my soul chooseth ... [Job 7:16).

All of the verbs in these verses are actions resulting directly from decisions, which are the expression of the will, the third part of the soul. Our soul is composed of these three parts: the mind, the emotion, and the will. The mind is the organ with which we reason and evaluate. With our emotions we express in the physical world how we feel about things that affect us. By the exercise of our will we decide, thus directing our actions, which express our being.

Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts; and in the hidden part thou wilt make me to know wisdom. (Ps 61:61

What are the inward parts?

I will put my law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it ...(Jer.:  31:33).

I will put my laws into their mind, and on their heart also will I write them.... (Heb 8:10).

By comparing these two verses, we see that the mind is one of the inward parts. What are the other ones? As we will see, the other parts

are the emotions and the will, the inward parts being a reference to the soul. But what is the hidden part?

C.   The Human Spirit

But there is a spirit in man …(Job 32:8)

... Thus saith Jehovah, who stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him. (Zech. 12:1)

This verse in Zechariah not only places the importance of the human spirit on the same level with the creation of the heavens and the earth, but also indicates that the creation of the heavens and the earth is for the purpose of the forming of the spirit in man. Why does God consider the human spirit to be so important?

For the word of God is living and active, and sharper than any two‑edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart. (Heb 4:12)

It is clear from this verse that the "hidden part" in our being must be our human spirit. Few people realize the strategic importance of the human spirit. Most people simply are unaware that they have a spirit, and too many of those who are aware fail to differentiate it from the soul. Our soul surrounds and tightly masks our spirit, as the bones (joints) contain and cover up the marrow; but these are absolutely two distinctly different parts of our being, which we must distinguish between. Why? It is with and through our physical body that we experience and live in the physical world. It is with our soul that we live in and experience the psychological world (The word 'psychology' is derived from the root of the Greek, which is translated as 'soul' in the New Testament). Only with our human spirit can we contact the spiritual world. You can no more contact and experience spiritual reality with your mind, emotions, or will, than you can with your physical body. With the importance of the human spirit in mind, let us now examine what its functions are.

The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God. (Rom. 8:16)

... my conscience bearing witness with me in the Holy Spirit. (Rom. 9:1)

By comparing these two verses, it is apparent that one of the functions of our spirit is our conscience. Our conscience is more than a sense of morals or ethics. These vary from culture to culture whereas the functioning of the conscience is the same in everyone.

To the pure all things are pure: but to them that are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but both their mind and their conscience are defiled. (Titus 1:15)

There is, however, a direct relationship between our conscience and our mind. Our mind is intended to express our conscience. Thus, it is our mind that is affected by and aware of the functioning of our conscience.

Herein I also exercise myself to have a conscience void of offence toward God and man always. (Acts 24:16)

To him therefore that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. (James 4:17)

In their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them; (Rom 2:16).

The interrelationship of our mind and conscience is such that, if we do something that is wrong according to our mind (in which is the domain of ethics and morality), then our conscience will be defiled also. However, just because something that we do is right according to our mind does not at all mean that our conscience will approve.

For our glory is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in holiness and sincerity of God, not in fleshly wisdom but in the grace of God, we behaved ourselves in the world, and more abundantly to you‑ward. (2 Cor. 1:12)

I must strongly reiterate; our conscience is more than merely a sense of right and wrong; it is the very expression of divine approval or disapproval.

With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee earnestly ... (Isa. 26:9)

For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. (Phil. 3:3 KJV)

God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth. (John 4:24 New American Standard Bible)

What is true worship and why must it be done in and with our human spirit?

... yea, and our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ: (1 John 1:3)

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. (2 Cor. 13:14)

Another function of our spirit is to enable us to have fellowship (communion) with God (whose essence is spirit). It is because our spirit also has this function that man is able to contact and come into the very presence of God. What part of the soul is this function expressed through?

And Mary said, my soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior. (Luke 1:46‑47)

Because her soul was expressing (magnifying) the Lord (and not herself), Mary's fellowship with God in her spirit was expressed by her soul. With regards to this, notice the verb tenses: doth (present) and hath (past). Firstly, Mary was in contact (fellowship) with God in her spirit, and this fellowship was then expressed through her soul. But what part of her soul: what part of our soul rejoices? Our emotion is the part of our soul that expresses our fellowship (or lack of) with God. Just as the soul has three parts, so we should expect the spirit to have three functions. What is the third function of our spirit?

For who among men knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of the man, which is in him? (1 Cor. 2‑11)

... that ye maybe filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding. (Col. 1:9)

The other function of our spirit is the intuition, by means of which we may know directly what God's will is at all times and in any given situation. The intuition of our Spirit is expressed through our will.

After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go to Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not. (Acts 16:7 KJV)

Notice here that the disciples decided (assayed with their will) to go into Bithynia, but this decision on their part was contrary to the Spirit's will. How did they know that this was so? Did the Spirit send some outward signs to let them know? No! The disciples contacted their human spirit and by the intuitive function of their spirit knew what God's will was.

In illustrating the parts and functions of our being, I have thus far confined my documentation to Scriptural references. I will try not to ask the reader to accept anything at face value in this book. Therefore, let us now see what relevant evidence concerning the soul and spirit may be found in the scientific evaluations of our physical universe.

As he studied thousands of patients, experimenting with electrical stimulation of the brain, he finally concluded that the mind was totally independent of the brain. 33

A purely mechanistic (and therefore anti‑spiritual) view of the universe requires that the mind be equal to and contained by the brain. The mechanistic view holds and requires that the mind be nothing more than the electrochemical equivalent of a computer, with all of its manifestations limited to and explainable by purely physical laws. Such is not the case. An excellent book documenting relevant scientific evidence in this area of discussion and that of Section Three of this chapter is Man in Adam and in Christ, by Arthur Custance. I do not have the space to quote the findings documented in Mr. Custance's book. However, I shall give a summary of current scientific thought on this subject. Anyone with any doubts about this or about what I have to say in Section Three should read this book.

SUMMARY OF THE RESULTS OF EXPERIMENTA-TION IN THE FIELD OF NEUROPHYSIOLOGY:

The mind, although expressed through the brain, is not limited to or contained by the brain. Although specific memories can be activated by stimulation of specific tissue sites, removal of these areas sequentially does not affect the corresponding memory, whereas removal in one radical operation does produce a degree of impairment. The neuronic capacity of the brain is woefully inadequate to contain the memory of the mind, on a mechanistic basis. The brain would have to be approximately 1,500 times larger than it is in order to accommodate the mind by mechanistic means. Further, total removal (sequentially) of the cerebral cortex in laboratory animals up to and including animals us complex as dogs has not affected the memory of the animals. 34

What, then, is the soul, if it is not a physical existence?

He  (W. Whately Smith) contended that there is a fourth dimension that our self‑awareness goes into that is not a part of our three‑dimensional world, and that dreams were the best example of it.35

In his special theory of relativity, published in 1905, Einstein put forth a strange but inescapable conclusion: Space and time cannot always be treated as separate and distinct entities. Rather, in their more general manifestations, they are thoroughly mixed together in an "apples and oranges" fashion to form a space‑time continuum that can only be described with a fully interwoven complement of four equivalent dimensions- three of space and one of time. 36

It is my contention that the soul is a nonphysical fourth‑dimensional existence, existing in and through the dimension of time. Just as the fourth dimension of time is inextricably linked to the three dimensions of space, so our soul is inextricably linked to our physical body. All living things have souls. This is a Scriptural, as well as scientific (by the definition of soul), fact. The level of complexity of the soul of a particular organism can be evaluated by the level of complexity of its brain, which expresses the mind, the leading part of the soul. The more complex the soul, the less its entrophy, and the longer it will exist through time. If my supposition concerning the soul is correct, then we should expect that the more complex the brain of an organism, the longer would be its life span. This is generally the case. Why are there exceptions, such as turtles? Again, just as time is inextricably linked to the three dimensions of space, so is our soul linked to our physical bodies. The exceptions to the rule, therefore, should all be organisms with significantly lower metabolic rates ‑ lower than the average rate for organisms with their brain/body ratio. Why should this be the case? The faster the metabolic rate the higher the entrophic rate. An organism with a high metabolic rate may have a complex brain yet be relatively short‑lived since it will die when its body wears out. Conversely, an organism with a slow metabolic rate may have a simple brain yet have a relatively long life span. If I am correct, and, of two different types of organisms whose metabolic rates are roughly equal, the one whose brain is more complex will have the longer life span. Also, of two different organisms whose brains are of roughly equal complexity the one with the lower metabolic rate will have the longer life span. As far as my knowledge of the field of physiology goes, this is always the case. Lastly, the soul's being an existence in the fourth dimension of time would explain many (and probably all) currently inexplicable animal behavior phenomena; for example: the instantaneous changes of direction by all of the members of a flock of birds.

I fully subscribe to the judgement of those writers who maintain that of all the differences between man and the lower animals, the moral sense or conscience is by far the most important.39

What, then, is the human spirit? Before I knew anything about the Bible and before I had had any actual experiential awareness of my spirit, I had concluded (on the basis of investigation in several different fields) that I had a spirit. My knowledge of it was purely theoretical; all that I knew was that it was eternal, not temporal. The only thread of evidence I had to follow was that, mathematically, there seemed to me to be a connection between infinity and eternity. It seemed logical to me that something actually (not theoretically) infinite would have to be eternal and that something eternal must also be infinite. At this point I stumbled across an assertion of the nineteenth century Christian mystic and philosopher William Blake. His assertion was that infinity extended inward (within man) and finity extended outward (from man). At the time that Blake made this assertion, the telescope had opened the field of astronomy and it was then the prevailing opinion of the astronomers of his time that the universe was infinite.

Perhaps the first clear statement of the modern view was that of Nicholas of Cusa (1401‑1464), a cardinal of the Church, who had particularly striking ideas for his time. He thought that space was infinite and that there was no center to the universe.... The English mathematician Thomas Digges (1543‑1595) did espouse views like those of Nicholas of Cuss, and in 1575 maintained not only infinite space, but also an infinite number of stars spread evenly throughout it. Italian philosopher Giordano Bruno (1548‑1600) also argued the same view, and did so in so undiplomatic and contentious a manner that he was finally burned at the stake in Rome for his heresies. 38

Since that time, however, science has shown that the universe is “unbounded" (a mathematical term), but finite. Thus, one‑half of William Blake's assertion was shown to be true. I doubted that the other half, involving infinity, could be proven by the objective verification that finity had been. Therefore, I expected instead to find indications of its truth without any contraindications. This is indeed the case. It is pretty common knowledge that, mathematically, between any two distinct points on a line, there will always be another distinct point, down to an infinitely small size, producing an infinite number of points. In the field of particle physics, the smallness of particles is limited only by the powers of observation possible and infinitely small size is not precluded by any theory. So the existence of the human spirit seems to have its correlations in, and is indicated by, the laws of our four‑dimensional universe. But what was it? I was forced to assume that it must be a fifth‑dimensional existence. In the process of researching material for the documentation of this book, I came across substantiation of this, quite unexpectedly.

One can take "immortality" to mean a "right‑angled turn," away from the axis of time, and a subsequent progression orthogonal to it along the vaguely time like, fifth‑dimensional axis. This would be a kind of "spirit'' existence: time, and maybe matter and space, would be meaningless.... That is, "heaven" might be a fuller, five‑dimensional universe in which our ordinary four‑dimensional one is embedded.39

It should be pointed out that the idea of a fifth dimension is not in any way a new one to the field of physics. In attempts at a better formulation of general relativity, physicist Kaluza, as far back as 1921, assumed an extra dimension. But Kaluza's fifth dimension had no direct physical significance.40

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  467
  • Content Per Day:  0.29

The ancients really had no conception of the central nervous system, of neuro-chemicals experienced as emotions, of electrical impulses recorded as memories. 

I think we need to figure out (best we can) what the ancient Bible writers meant by their use of words like "soul" and "spirit".  

Did Jesus use those words?  How did He use those words? 

If God "breathed" into Adam's nostrils "the spirit", and Adam then "became a living soul", does that mean Adam was no longer a "soul" AFTER the spirit returned "to God who gave it?" 

It almost seems as if NT writers used "soul" and "spirit" differently from how OT writers used those words.  At creation man became a soul.  Later on, man "has" a soul, referred to repeatedly as "my soul".  He also personally possesses, or at least personally experiences his own "spirit".  The words "my spirit" are used quite often.   

I noticed that GOD also has a soul.  HE used "My soul" several times, speaking to OT prophets. 

GOD also has a spirit.  HE spoke of "My spirit." 

How is GOD's spirit, different from that of a human being?  How is His soul, different from a human soul? 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  467
  • Content Per Day:  0.29

Here's Jesus:

Matthew 22:37 “Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart (kardia), with all your soul, and with all your mind (dianoia).’”

Your mind” is not all there is of “you”.  You have “your heart” and “your soul”.  

Jesus quoting Lev 19:18; Deut 6:5, Deut 10:12, Deut 30:6.

Mark 12:30 “And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment.”

It looks like "your strength" refers to voluntary bodily functions.

Luke 10:27 “So he answered and said, ‘`You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,' and`your neighbor as yourself.'’”

Mark 12:33 “And to love Him with all the heart, with all the understanding, with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is more than all the whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.”

I don't see the word "spirit" used in any of these texts quoting Jesus

If Jesus is saying "love the LORD with all of yourself - then a "self" (a person) consists of body - mind - heart - soul.

The "mind" would be the thoughts, the "understanding", those things I choose to think about.

The "heart" would be the emotions, or desires.

What is the "soul"?  Is it the "self"The being designed for God's indwelling, and for everlasting life? 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

truthseekersasciencespiritual.blogspot.com/

Chapter Four

WHAT IS MAN?

What is man, that thou art mindful of him?

(Psalms 8:4)

I.   THE PARTS OF MAN

A.    A Physical Body

It should be obvious to the reader that we all have physical bodies, which contain our being and with which we contact the physical world that we live in. But what about that which is not so obvious: the parts of our being that are contained within our physical bodies? Many, many philosophies and schools of thought have come and gone in continuing efforts by man to understand and describe himself. Can man possibly be objective about himself? Obviously not! Would it not be both more objective and useful to find out what man's Creator has to say about man?

B. The Human Soul (See Appendix III.)

... and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved entire ... (I Thess.  5:23)

Man is a three‑part being, having not only a physical body but also a soul and a spirit. What does our soul encompass, and what is our soul composed of?

My soul continually thinks ... (Lam. 3:20 Revised Standard Version).

.  . And that my soul knoweth ... (Psalm  139:14)

As these verses show, the mind is one of the parts of the soul.

And my soul shall be joyful in Jehovah: It shall rejoice in his salvation. (Psalm  35:9)

... my soul shall weep ... (Jer . 13:17)

Tell me, 0 thou whom my soul loveth ... (SS. 1:7)

And if your soul abhor ... (Lev.  26:15)

The emotions are another part of the soul.

Our soul hath waited ... (Ps. 33:201.

So that my soul chooseth ... [Job 7:16).

All of the verbs in these verses are actions resulting directly from decisions, which are the expression of the will, the third part of the soul. Our soul is composed of these three parts: the mind, the emotion, and the will. The mind is the organ with which we reason and evaluate. With our emotions we express in the physical world how we feel about things that affect us. By the exercise of our will we decide, thus directing our actions, which express our being.

Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts; and in the hidden part thou wilt make me to know wisdom. (Ps 61:61

What are the inward parts?

I will put my law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it ...(Jer.:  31:33).

I will put my laws into their mind, and on their heart also will I write them.... (Heb 8:10).

By comparing these two verses, we see that the mind is one of the inward parts. What are the other ones? As we will see, the other parts are the emotions and the will, the inward parts being a reference to the soul. But what is the hidden part?

C.   The Human Spirit

But there is a spirit in man …(Job 32:8)

... Thus saith Jehovah, who stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him. (Zech. 12:1)

This verse in Zechariah not only places the importance of the human spirit on the same level with the creation of the heavens and the earth, but also indicates that the creation of the heavens and the earth is for the purpose of the forming of the spirit in man. Why does God consider the human spirit to be so important?

For the word of God is living and active, and sharper than any two‑edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart. (Heb 4:12)

It is clear from this verse that the "hidden part" in our being must be our human spirit. Few people realize the strategic importance of the human spirit. Most people simply are unaware that they have a spirit, and too many of those who are aware fail to differentiate it from the soul. Our soul surrounds and tightly masks our spirit, as the bones (joints) contain and cover up the marrow; but these are absolutely two distinctly different parts of our being, which we must distinguish between. Why? It is with and through our physical body that we experience and live in the physical world. It is with our soul that we live in and experience the psychological world (The word 'psychology' is derived from the root of the Greek, which is translated as 'soul' in the New Testament). Only with our human spirit can we contact the spiritual world. You can no more contact and experience spiritual reality with your mind, emotions, or will, than you can with your physical body. With the importance of the human spirit in mind, let us now examine what its functions are.

The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God. (Rom. 8:16)

... my conscience bearing witness with me in the Holy Spirit. (Rom. 9:1)

By comparing these two verses, it is apparent that one of the functions of our spirit is our conscience. Our conscience is more than a sense of morals or ethics. These vary from culture to culture whereas the functioning of the conscience is the same in everyone.

To the pure all things are pure: but to them that are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but both their mind and their conscience are defiled. (Titus 1:15)

There is, however, a direct relationship between our conscience and our mind. Our mind is intended to express our conscience. Thus, it is our mind that is affected by and aware of the functioning of our conscience.

Herein I also exercise myself to have a conscience void of offence toward God and man always. (Acts 24:16)

To him therefore that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. (James 4:17)

In their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them; (Rom 2:16).

The interrelationship of our mind and conscience is such that, if we do something that is wrong according to our mind (in which is the domain of ethics and morality), then our conscience will be defiled also. However, just because something that we do is right according to our mind does not at all mean that our conscience will approve.

For our glory is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in holiness and sincerity of God, not in fleshly wisdom but in the grace of God, we behaved ourselves in the world, and more abundantly to you‑ward. (2 Cor. 1:12)

I must strongly reiterate; our conscience is more than merely a sense of right and wrong; it is the very expression of divine approval or disapproval.

With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee earnestly ... (Isa. 26:9)

For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. (Phil. 3:3 KJV)

God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth. (John 4:24 New American Standard Bible)

What is true worship and why must it be done in and with our human spirit?

... yea, and our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ: (1 John 1:3)

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. (2 Cor. 13:14)

Another function of our spirit is to enable us to have fellowship (communion) with God (whose essence is spirit). It is because our spirit also has this function that man is able to contact and come into the very presence of God. What part of the soul is this function expressed through?

And Mary said, my soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior. (Luke 1:46‑47)

Because her soul was expressing (magnifying) the Lord (and not herself), Mary's fellowship with God in her spirit was expressed by her soul. With regards to this, notice the verb tenses: doth (present) and hath (past). Firstly, Mary was in contact (fellowship) with God in her spirit, and this fellowship was then expressed through her soul. But what part of her soul: what part of our soul rejoices? Our emotion is the part of our soul that expresses our fellowship (or lack of) with God. Just as the soul has three parts, so we should expect the spirit to have three functions. What is the third function of our spirit?

For who among men knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of the man, which is in him? (1 Cor. 2‑11)

... that ye maybe filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding. (Col. 1:9)

The other function of our spirit is the intuition, by means of which we may know directly what God's will is at all times and in any given situation. The intuition of our Spirit is expressed through our will.

After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go to Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not. (Acts 16:7 KJV)

Notice here that the disciples decided (assayed with their will) to go into Bithynia, but this decision on their part was contrary to the Spirit's will. How did they know that this was so? Did the Spirit send some outward signs to let them know? No! The disciples contacted their human spirit and by the intuitive function of their spirit knew what God's will was.

In illustrating the parts and functions of our being, I have thus far confined my documentation to Scriptural references. I will try not to ask the reader to accept anything at face value in this book. Therefore, let us now see what relevant evidence concerning the soul and spirit may be found in the scientific evaluations of our physical universe.

As he studied thousands of patients, experimenting with electrical stimulation of the brain, he finally concluded that the mind was totally independent of the brain. 33

A purely mechanistic (and therefore anti‑spiritual) view of the universe requires that the mind be equal to and contained by the brain. The mechanistic view holds and requires that the mind be nothing more than the electrochemical equivalent of a computer, with all of its manifestations limited to and explainable by purely physical laws. Such is not the case. An excellent book documenting relevant scientific evidence in this area of discussion and that of Section Three of this chapter is Man in Adam and in Christ, by Arthur Custance. I do not have the space to quote the findings documented in Mr. Custance's book. However, I shall give a summary of current scientific thought on this subject. Anyone with any doubts about this or about what I have to say in Section Three should read this book.

SUMMARY OF THE RESULTS OF EXPERIMENTA-TION IN THE FIELD OF NEUROPHYSIOLOGY:

The mind, although expressed through the brain, is not limited to or contained by the brain. Although specific memories can be activated by stimulation of specific tissue sites, removal of these areas sequentially does not affect the corresponding memory, whereas removal in one radical operation does produce a degree of impairment. The neuronic capacity of the brain is woefully inadequate to contain the memory of the mind, on a mechanistic basis. The brain would have to be approximately 1,500 times larger than it is in order to accommodate the mind by mechanistic means. Further, total removal (sequentially) of the cerebral cortex in laboratory animals up to and including animals us complex as dogs has not affected the memory of the animals. 34

What, then, is the soul, if it is not a physical existence?

He  (W. Whately Smith) contended that there is a fourth dimension that our self‑awareness goes into that is not a part of our three‑dimensional world, and that dreams were the best example of it.35

In his special theory of relativity, published in 1905, Einstein put forth a strange but inescapable conclusion: Space and time cannot always be treated as separate and distinct entities. Rather, in their more general manifestations, they are thoroughly mixed together in an "apples and oranges" fashion to form a space‑time continuum that can only be described with a fully interwoven complement of four equivalent dimensions- three of space and one of time. 36

It is my contention that the soul is a nonphysical fourth‑dimensional existence, existing in and through the dimension of time. Just as the fourth dimension of time is inextricably linked to the three dimensions of space, so our soul is inextricably linked to our physical body. All living things have souls. This is a Scriptural, as well as scientific (by the definition of soul), fact. The level of complexity of the soul of a particular organism can be evaluated by the level of complexity of its brain, which expresses the mind, the leading part of the soul. The more complex the soul, the less its entrophy, and the longer it will exist through time. If my supposition concerning the soul is correct, then we should expect that the more complex the brain of an organism, the longer would be its life span. This is generally the case. Why are there exceptions, such as turtles? Again, just as time is inextricably linked to the three dimensions of space, so is our soul linked to our physical bodies. The exceptions to the rule, therefore, should all be organisms with significantly lower metabolic rates ‑ lower than the average rate for organisms with their brain/body ratio. Why should this be the case? The faster the metabolic rate the higher the entrophic rate. An organism with a high metabolic rate may have a complex brain yet be relatively short‑lived since it will die when its body wears out. Conversely, an organism with a slow metabolic rate may have a simple brain yet have a relatively long life span. If I am correct, and, of two different types of organisms whose metabolic rates are roughly equal, the one whose brain is more complex will have the longer life span. Also, of two different organisms whose brains are of roughly equal complexity the one with the lower metabolic rate will have the longer life span. As far as my knowledge of the field of physiology goes, this is always the case. Lastly, the soul's being an existence in the fourth dimension of time would explain many (and probably all) currently inexplicable animal behavior phenomena; for example: the instantaneous changes of direction by all of the members of a flock of birds.

I fully subscribe to the judgement of those writers who maintain that of all the differences between man and the lower animals, the moral sense or conscience is by far the most important.39

What, then, is the human spirit? Before I knew anything about the Bible and before I had had any actual experiential awareness of my spirit, I had concluded (on the basis of investigation in several different fields) that I had a spirit. My knowledge of it was purely theoretical; all that I knew was that it was eternal, not temporal. The only thread of evidence I had to follow was that, mathematically, there seemed to me to be a connection between infinity and eternity. It seemed logical to me that something actually (not theoretically) infinite would have to be eternal and that something eternal must also be infinite. At this point I stumbled across an assertion of the nineteenth century Christian mystic and philosopher William Blake. His assertion was that infinity extended inward (within man) and finity extended outward (from man). At the time that Blake made this assertion, the telescope had opened the field of astronomy and it was then the prevailing opinion of the astronomers of his time that the universe was infinite.

Perhaps the first clear statement of the modern view was that of Nicholas of Cusa (1401‑1464), a cardinal of the Church, who had particularly striking ideas for his time. He thought that space was infinite and that there was no center to the universe.... The English mathematician Thomas Digges (1543‑1595) did espouse views like those of Nicholas of Cuss, and in 1575 maintained not only infinite space, but also an infinite number of stars spread evenly throughout it. Italian philosopher Giordano Bruno (1548‑1600) also argued the same view, and did so in so undiplomatic and contentious a manner that he was finally burned at the stake in Rome for his heresies. 38

Since that time, however, science has shown that the universe is “unbounded" (a mathematical term), but finite. Thus, one‑half of William Blake's assertion was shown to be true. I doubted that the other half, involving infinity, could be proven by the objective verification that finity had been. Therefore, I expected instead to find indications of its truth without any contraindications. This is indeed the case. It is pretty common knowledge that, mathematically, between any two distinct points on a line, there will always be another distinct point, down to an infinitely small size, producing an infinite number of points. In the field of particle physics, the smallness of particles is limited only by the powers of observation possible and infinitely small size is not precluded by any theory. So the existence of the human spirit seems to have its correlations in, and is indicated by, the laws of our four‑dimensional universe. But what was it? I was forced to assume that it must be a fifth‑dimensional existence. In the process of researching material for the documentation of this book, I came across substantiation of this, quite unexpectedly.

One can take "immortality" to mean a "right‑angled turn," away from the axis of time, and a subsequent progression orthogonal to it along the vaguely time like, fifth‑dimensional axis. This would be a kind of "spirit'' existence: time, and maybe matter and space, would be meaningless.... That is, "heaven" might be a fuller, five‑dimensional universe in which our ordinary four‑dimensional one is embedded.39

It should be pointed out that the idea of a fifth dimension is not in any way a new one to the field of physics. In attempts at a better formulation of general relativity, physicist Kaluza, as far back as 1921, assumed an extra dimension. But Kaluza's fifth dimension had no direct physical significance.40

D. The Heart (See Appendix IV.)

The human heart (not our physical one) is mentioned roughly four times as often in the Old Testament as the human soul. What is our heart and why is it so important in the eyes of God?

Praise ye Jehovah. I will give thanks unto Jehovah with my whole heart ... (Ps. 111:1)

Although the phrase "whole heart" is used many times in the Bible, the phrase "whole soul" is never used. Along with the greater mentioning of the heart, this indicates that the soul is a part of the heart.

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength. (Mark 12:30)

The order of this verse, from more inclusive to more specific, substantiates that the soul is included in the heart.

Of the verbs used with the heart as a subject, three‑fourths are identical to or closely similar to the verbs used with the soul as the subject of the verse. Also, there are no verbs used in connection with the soul that do not have a similar counterpart used in connection with the heart. Since the heart is mentioned almost exactly four times as much as the soul, and the word ‘soul’ (having three parts) is virtually interchangeable with the word 'heart' in three‑fourths of the verses where the heart is used, we should expect the heart to contain the soul plus one of the functions of our human spirit. That this is indeed the case is further indicated by a comparison of the following verses:

... But the Lord weighs the spirit. ( Prov. 16:2 RSV)

... But the Lord weighs the heart. (Prov. 21:2 RSV)

But which function of the human spirit is a part of the heart?

Let us draw near with a true heart in the fullness of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience ... (Heb. 10:22)

Our heart is composed of our soul plus the function of our conscience. It is with our heart that we are capable of loving God.

Because if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. Beloved, if our heart condemns us not, we have boldness toward God. (1 John 3:20‑21)

And Paul, looking steadfastly on the council, said, Brethren, I have lived before God in all good conscience until this day. (Acts 23:1)

If I regard iniquity in my heart, The Lord will not hear. (Ps. 66:18)

In these verses we can see the functioning of our conscience as a part of our heart. If we maintain a clear conscience, we have no barriers between God and us. However, if we fail to abide by our conscience, our fellowship with God will be interrupted until our conscience is appeased.

There was the true light, even the light which lighteth every man, coming into the world. (John 1:9)

What is this light that lights every man that comes into this world? On the one hand, Jesus is that light, but He fully lights only those who believe in Him, not every man.

Because that which is known of God is manifest in them ... that they may be without excuse: ( Rom. 1: 19, 20)

These verses say that knowledge of God is manifest in every man, so that no one has an excuse. The context in which these verses are included makes it clear that "they" refers specifically to unbelievers. Knowledge of God is manifest in every man so that no one has any excuse for not coming to God.

One of the number one objections to believing in Christ that an unbeliever raises is this: "What about people who have never heard of Jesus? How can God be a righteous God if only people who believe in Jesus will be saved and how can people who have not heard of Jesus believe in Him?"

Helen Keller was born blind and deaf. It was not until she was well on the way to becoming an adult that she first learned how to communicate with other people. One day someone told her about Jesus. Do you know what her response was? I cannot quote it word for word but it was along these lines: "Oh, so that is the name of the person I have met!" Before she had ever heard of Jesus, her conscience had led her to accept Him as her Lord. This is why we are all without excuse if we do not accept Him.

Where is this knowledge of God manifested in us?

... but by the manifestation of a truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. (2 Cor. 4:2)

Everyone born into this world is born with an active conscience, by means of which the Holy Spirit convicts all unbelievers for their continued alienation from God. Due to the fall of man (as we shall see in Section Ill.), the human spirit was deadened and darkened. Fellowship with God was completely interrupted, and intuitive knowledge of the will of God ceased also. In order that men would not entirely lose remembrance and awareness of Him, God divinely stopped the spirit from being completely and thoroughly darkened, allowing the conscience to remain active, even if to a lesser degree than before. This is why the heart is so important. It is through the influence of our heart (our soul acted on by our conscience) that God is able to lead men to Himself.  Our conscience within us witnesses to the truth. If what I say in this book in regard to spiritual matters is merely my opinion, then it will have the same effect on you that any book would have‑ a superficial one of merely adding new knowledge to your mind. But if what I say is the truth, then regardless of whether or not your opinions concur, there is a part of you that is deeper than your mind that will agree with what I have to say and will not allow you to easily ignore what you read.

THE BLASPHEMY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, this man doth not cast out demons, but by Beelzebub the prince of the demons.... But if I by the Spirit of God cast out demons, then is the kingdom of God come upon you.... Therefore I say unto you, every sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him; but whosoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in that which is to come. (Matt. 12:24, 28, 31‑32)

But whosoever shall blaspheme against the Holy Spirit hath never forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin: (Mark 3:29)

What is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit? Why is it that speaking against the Son can be forgiven but speaking against the Spirit will not be forgiven?

And he (the Holy Spirit], when he is come, will convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgement: of sin, because they believe not on me [Jesus]; of righteousness, because I go to the Father, and ye behold me no more; of judgement, because the prince of this world hath been judged. (John 16:8‑11)

It is by the Holy Spirit acting through the conscience on the hearts of men that God tries to turn men to believe in His Son, thus receiving eternal life. Everything that God has accomplished He imparts to us through the third person of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit. If a person speaks against the Father or Son, the Holy Spirit can still induce a change of heart at a later time and wipe the slate clean. But if a person speaks against the Holy Spirit, the effecting of God's purpose in that person is immobilized, there is nothing He can do. For this reason, the frustrating of the working of the Holy Spirit by a person can have eternal consequences.

Wherefore, even as the Holy Spirit saith, today if ye shall hear his voice, Harden not your hearts, (Heb. 3:7 ‑ 8)

Many times in the life of a person God will arrange outward circumstances (usually through a crisis situation) to coax that person to turn from themselves to Christ. Along with the circumstances, the Holy Spirit will inwardly stir the conscience of that person to try to turn them to accept Christ. Each time that this happens and that person ignores their conscience, their heart becomes a little more hardened, making it more difficult for God to do anything.

But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgement of God. (Rom. 2:5 NASB)

Eventually, a person's heart becomes so hardened that the Holy Spirit is no longer able to do anything. There is a point of no return. This is what the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is.

II.  RAMIFICATIONS OF FREE WILL

The existence, purpose, and necessity of free will has several important ramifications that are relevant to later topics. I will briefly depict them as a group in this section, so that it will be easier for the reader to realize their derivation as logical implications of free will. In the future sections where they are relevant, a more detailed depiction of their applicability will be given, along with appropriate scientific corroboration.

1. God isn't capricious with His own laws of the physical universe. Circumvention of these laws is very much the exception and not the rule, so that we may have the continuity necessary to have a proper awareness of the physical universe we live in, which is reflective and illustrative of the spiritual universe.

For thus says the Lord, who created the heavens (he is God!) who formed the earth and made it (he established it; he did not create it a chaos, he formed it to be inhabited!): I am the Lord, and there is no other. I did not speak in secret in a land of darkness I did not say to the offspring of Jacob, "Seek me in chaos."  (Isa. 45:18‑19 RSV)

2. God (and His opponent) does circumvent the laws of the physical universe, but God only does so in specific instances for specific purposes. These miracles were usually to get the attention of, or respect from, the people God wished to do something with. Truly in our case, "seeing is believing" most of the time, necessitating the use of miracles by God much of the time in dealing with people.

3. Objective, scientific proof of the reality of the spiritual universe is impossible, since such proof would nullify the function of free will, thus voiding the exercise of faith. Thus, the attainment of objective proof (i.e., replicability under controlled conditions equitable to the physical sciences) of Para psychological phenomena should not be possible (at the present time). Consequently, whenever God has interactions with man of a magnitude that would leave evidence capable of providing scientifically verifiable proof of divine intervention, then we should expect to find that all such actions by God were accomplished through natural means in accordance with the laws of the physical universe.

4. What are the ramifications of free will with regard to the time in history of the incarnation of God? Obviously, His incarnation had to be foretold in order that men would have prior knowledge to look for and recognize His incarnation. This requires a continuity of record, which requires a distinct culture of people to maintain and pass on such records to later generations. The longer the amount of time allowed for this, the better for men, but there is a limit in the other direction, too. His incarnation had to occur before the knowledge of the "scientific method'' became too widespread. So the incarnation had to occur after an amount of time necessary to accumulate sufficient foreknowledge of it had elapsed, but before said incarnation would be subject to objective proof.

Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me; declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done ... (Isa. 46:9‑10)

5. Lastly, we may expect that any direct references to the principle or details of the spiritual universe would be couched in hidden terminology. Cut and dried knowledge of spiritual reality would infringe on the exercise of free will directly by giving us too much "proof' as it were, of such matters; and indirectly by making spiritual awareness subject more to comprehension by our natural abilities than to apprehension by faith. In our natural abilities we are not equal, but in spiritual matters we all have an equal opportunity.

All these spake Jesus in parables unto the multitudes; and without a parable spake he nothing unto them; that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through a prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden from the foundation of the world. (Matt. 13:34 ‑ 35)

Therefore speak I to them in parables; because seeing they see not, and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. (Matt. 13:13)

And when the seven thunders uttered their voices, I was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying, Seal up the things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not. (Rev. 10:4)

III. THE EFFECTS OF THE FALL ON MAN

(See Appendices V. and VI.)

Every way of a man is right in his own eyes; But Jehovah weigheth the hearts. (Prov. 21:2)

The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is exceeding corrupt: who can know it? (Jer. 17:9)

There is a basic flaw in our very nature, which is the source of man's failings throughout history, and which we are not consciously aware of‑ it being part and parcel of our very being. Let us examine some indicative evidence.

Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: ... And God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him ... (Gen. 1:26‑27)

God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth. (John 4:24 NASB)

And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath (spirit) of life; and man became a living soul. (Gen 2:7)

There was no problem, originally, with man as he was created. What happened to change things?

And out of the ground made Jehovah God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.... And Jehovah God commanded the man, saying, of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. (Gen. 2:9, 16‑17)

According to the revelation of the Bible, the tree of life is a type of God in Christ as life for us. The tree of knowledge of good and evil is a type of Satan himself. Our natural concept would lead us to believe that there was the tree of good and the tree of evil‑this is not the case. There was the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and there was the tree of life in opposition to this. In our natural concept, we are always evaluating things in terms of good and evil‑ but to do so is in opposition to life. The greatest misconception people have today is in mistaking good as being necessarily from God. I cannot emphasize this too much‑ it is the good things that have been used to deceive us, as we shall see in later chapters. Now, let us find out what happened to man's being at the Fall.

Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which Jehovah God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of any tree of the garden? ... And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat and she gave also unto her husband with her, and he did eat, And the eyes of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed rig‑leaves together, and made themselves aprons. And they heard the voice of Jehovah God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of Jehovah God amongst the trees of the garden. (Gen. 3:1, 4‑8)

As we noted earlier in this chapter, the origins of both clothing and adornment are obscure…41

Although clothing is perhaps less fundamental to human needs than such artifacts as tools and containers, it appears true that no human society lacks it entirely.... Nor is this all, for in most societies clothing functions also to cover certain parts of the body it is considered improper or immodest to reveal.42

The serpent was not just a literal serpent; it was also the temporary vehicle for Satan in this incident. Notice that Adam and Eve ate the fruit of the tree of knowledge. What does this tell us? You are what you eat. As we shall see more and more ‑ Satan by Adam and Eve's transgression, injected his very nature (Sin) into the physical body of man. This had an immediate corrupting effect on the body, which is why Adam and Eve hid from God‑they were immediately aware of this noticeable effect.

And Jehovah God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, cursed art thou above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life‑ (Gen. 3:14)

From the first clause of the sentence upon the serpent it is clear that the creature did not originally crawl upon its belly, its structure must, therefore, have been entirely changed, and one who is not biased by any wish to prove the inspiration of Scripture remarks:

"It is agreed that the organism of the serpents is one of extreme degradation; their bodies are lengthened out by the mere vegetative repetitions of the vertebrae; like the worms, they advance only by the ring-like scutes of the abdomen, without fore or hinder limbs; though they belong to the latest creatures of the animal kingdom, they represent a decided retrogression in the scale of beings" ( Kallisch's Genesis, p. 125).

By the words, "Dust shalt thou eat," we are not, perhaps, to under -stand that dust should be the serpent's only food; but that having no organs wherewith to handle its prey, it would be compelled to eat it from the ground, and so to swallow dust with it. "All its food has the flavor of dust," says a Jewish commentary.

And since in undergoing this visible punishment the serpent is a type of Satan, with whom it directly cooperated, its condition is hopeless, and will not be improved when the remainder of creation is delivered from the bondage of corruption. 43

And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in toil shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; (Gen. 3:17‑18).

Earth should now be the parent of evil as well as good, and, teeming with thorns and thistles, should baffle and protract the labor of its tillers.

Those noxious plants probably existed, though in very different condition before the curse was pronounced; and then, owing to the sterility of the blighted earth, were no longer able to attain to their proper development and luxuriance, and so became what they are now found to be, abortions. The following remarks of Professor Balfour will illustrate this.

"In looking at the vegetable world in a scientific point of view, we see many evidences of the great plan upon which the all‑wise Creator seems to have formed that portion of His works. At the same time there are many marks of what we may call, with reverence, incompleteness. Thus we see that there is in all plants a tendency to a spiral arrangement of leaves and branches, etc., but we rarely see this carried out fully, in consequence of numerous interruptions to growth and abnormalities in development. When branches are arrested in growth they often appear in the form of thorns or spines, and thus thorns may be taken as an indication of an imperfection in the branch.

'The curse which has been pronounced on the vegetable creation may thus be seen in the production of thorns in place of branches ‑ thorns which, while they are leafless, are at the same time the cause of injury to man. That thorns are abortive branches is well seen in cases where, by cultivation, they disappear. In such cases they are transformed into branches.  The wild apple is a thorny plant, but on cultivation it is not so. These changes are the result of a constant high state of cultivation, and may show us what might take place were the curse removed.

"Again; thistles are troublesome and injurious in consequence of the pappus and hairs appended to their fruit, which waft it about in all directions, and injure the work of man so far as agricultural operations are concerned. Now it is interesting to remark that this pappus is shown to be an abortive state of the calyx which makes the thistle a source of labor and trouble to man. We could conceive the injurious consequences which result to the fields from the presence of thistles.

"I have thus very hurriedly stated to you what occurred to my mind as to the curse of thorns and thistles, and I have endeavored to show that the spines and hairs are abortive, and, so to speak, imperfect portions of plants. The parts are not developed in full perfection like what may have been the case in Eden, and like what will take place when the curse is removed."44

Okay, but how does this apply to us today?

Thy first father [Adam] sinned ... (Isa. 43:27)

Therefore, as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin; and so death passed into all men . . . (Rom. 6:12)

... for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are still under sin (Rom. 3:9. The Interlinear Greek‑English New Testament by Alfred Marshall, Zondervan, 1958)

Everything that happened to Adam and Eve has been passed on to all of us as part of our biological inheritance.

This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; ... And Adam lived a hundred and thirty years, and beget a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth. (Gen. 5:1, 3)

Notice that these verses say, in speaking of the creation of man (Adam), that man was created in the image of God. But when it speaks of Adam's offspring (after the Fall), it very pointedly says "a son in his (Adam's) own likeness, after his image in contraposition to the prior referral to Adam as being in the of likeness of God. This further illustrates that a fundamental change in man's very being took place at the Fall; it was not merely an outward event.

By the abundance of thy traffic they filled the midst of thee [Satan] with violence, and thou hast sinned (Ezek 28:16)

And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them [man) ... (Gen. 6:13).

Satan was filled with violence, and through the fallen descendents of Adam the earth became filled with violence. How? Because the very nature of Satan was injected into man at the Fall, into his body, and this has been passed on to us all.

And the man knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain ... (Gen. 4:1)

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity; And in sin did my mother conceive me. (Psalm 51:5)

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father it is your will to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and standeth not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. (John 8:44)

... And it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him. (Gen. 4:8)

Why did Cain kill Abel? Because he gave expression to the murderous satanic nature within him.

What is man, that he can be clean? Or he that is born of a woman, that he can be righteous? (Job 15:14 RSV)

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one; ... for all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God (Rom. 3:10, 23)

... everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. (John 8:34 NASB)

And I will put enmity between thee (the serpent) and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: he shall bruise thy head and thou shalt bruise his heel. (Gen. 3:15)

I know that ye are Abraham's seed; yet ye seek to kill me (Christ)... (John 8:37)

Refer to Genesis 3:15. This verse was the first prophecy of Christ, who alone is the seed of woman only. Who is the seed of the serpent? We are, all of us, due to the inheritance received with our physical birth. Do not mistakenly think that those who crucified Christ were considered to be evil people by their society; they were considered very good people in the eyes of their society, as they would also be by ours. But their real nature was the same as ours. In the all too appropriate words of Walt Kelly ‑ "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Ye do the works of your father.... Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father it is your will to do. (John 8:41, 44)

Ye serpents, ye offspring of vipers, how shall ye escape the judgment of hell? (Matt. 23:33)

For when you were slaves of sin ... (Rom . 6:20 NASB)

So with us; when we were children, we were slave to the elemental spirits of the universe. (Gal. 4:3 RSV)

Howbeit at that time, not knowing God, ye were in bondage to them that by nature are no gods: (Gal. 4:8)

wherein ye once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the powers of the air, of the spirit that now worketh in the sons of disobedience; (Eph. 2:21)

Before the Fall, there were three kingdoms: the kingdom of God, the human kingdom, and the kingdom of Satan. Because of the Fall, there are no longer three kingdoms ‑ now there are only two. Because of the Fall, the human kingdom is now thoroughly under the dominion of the kingdom of Satan. I emphasize again, do not confuse good and God ‑ Satan was perfect in all his ways until he fell. Do you think that you are a good person? Maybe so, perhaps you are better than most people, but what is the source of your goodness? If all you have is the human life obtained by your physical birth, you are still in the kingdom of your birth: the satanic kingdom. This is what is so hard for people to realize‑ it is our natural concept that we must do our best to lead a good life. What we cannot realize naturally is that good and bad mean nothing if all we have is our physical human life. We are born into the kingdom of Satan and if we never take an active stand to accept Christ, we will stay in the kingdom of Satan.

From that time began Jesus to show unto his disciples, that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and the third day be raised up. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall never be unto thee. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou mindest not the things of God, but the things of men. (Matt. 16:21‑23)

What did Peter do wrong? According to our natural sense of good and evil, it was an evil thing that the Lord would allow himself to be killed. Peter had only the best of intentions in rebuking the Lord in this matter. He was expressing his natural self‑but the Lord exposed the true source of the self‑ Satan. Because of the Fall, there is nothing we can do with our natural strength but express Satan. Our soul is thoroughly under the control of our flesh; this is the true source of our individuality, our selves. This is why the Lord called Peter Satan, because he was expressing his natural self, which is the expression of the satanic nature of the flesh.

For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were aroused by the Law, were at work in the members of our body to bear fruit for death. (Rom. 7:5 NASB)

Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey the lusts thereof. (Rom 6:12)

... for although they knew God they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking and their senseless minds were darkened. (Rom. 1:21 RSV)

… walk no longer just as the Gentiles walk in the futility of their mind (Eph 4:17 NASB)

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving ... (2 Cor. 4:4)

Among whom we also all once lived in the lusts of our flesh, doing the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even its the rest: (Eph 2:3)

For that which I do I know not: for not what I would, that do I practice; but what I hate, that I do.... so now it is no more I that do it, but sin which dwelleth in me. (Rom. 7:15, 17)

The Fall corrupted our flesh and brought our soul into subjection to the satanic nature in our flesh. Our souls, including our minds, have become thoroughly darkened; this is why there is such confusion in the world: no one can grasp spiritual reality by using their natural mind.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the spirit of God: for they are foolishness to him: neither can he know them, because they are spirituallly discerned. (1 Cor. 2:14 Intl. Greek)

The Greek word translated here as 'natural' is the root of the English word 'soul'; therefore, a more illuminating translation would be "the soulish man receiveth not the things of the spirit."

We are not conscious of the fallen state of our spirit and the true corrupt nature of our soul‑such awareness would be more than our conscious minds could handle. A person gets a very fleeting subjective glimpse of their true state at the time of their repentance and regeneration, so that their pride of self may be dealt a mortal blow that will help them from being deceived by self-righteousness. Do you know what our fallen state is?  

All of the blind, lame, paralyzed, leprous, etc., people healed by the Lord while He was here on the earth are a picture of our true state, which has been mercifully hidden from us.

And you did he make alive, when ye were dead through your trespasses and sins, (Eph. 2:1)

... And Abner said, as thy soul liveth, 0 king, I cannot tell. (I Sam. 17:55)

Where are we dead because of sins? Not in our physical body or our souls. Because of the Fall, our human spirit has become deadened and we are no longer aware of spiritual reality. It is this effect of the Fall that is the cause of man's innate dissatisfaction in this life, for it is an unnatural state of being for a living creature to possess consciousness without also possessing a full awareness of an existence beyond mortality.

And Jehovah God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever: ... So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden the Cherubim, and the flame of a sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life. (Gen. 3:22, 24)

Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; (1 Tim. 4:2)

As I have already said, our conscience is the only part of our spirit that is active at our birth- and that to a much-lessened degree.

Our conscience will not let us come into God’s presence because of the Fall.

But Peter answered and said unto him, if all shall be offended in thee, I will never be offended. Jesus said unto him, verily I say unto thee, that this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. Peter saith unto him, Even if I must die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciplines.... Now Peter was sitting without in the court: and a maid came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus the Galilaean. But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest. And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and saith unto them that were there, this man also was with Jesus of Nazareth. And again he denied with an oath, I know not the man. And after a little while they that stood by came and said to Peter, of a truth thou also art one of them; for thy speech maketh thee known. Then began he to curse and to swear, I know not the man. And straightway the cock crew. (Matt. 26:33‑35, 69‑74)

And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter. And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how that he said unto him, before the cock crow this day, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out and wept bitterly. (Luke 22:61‑62)

Do you really think that you can do anything to please or serve God with your natural strength? Peter did, and the result of his good intention and best determination is an illustration of the only results we can all expect.

Since this is such an unnatural and unacceptable affront to our humanistic conception of ourselves, let us examine the scientific evidence. Again, I strongly urge anyone with further doubts to read the book, Man in Adam and in Christ. Okay, let us see how humanistic philosophy accounts for man's failings.

Essentially, there are four commonly accepted views about what is wrong with man. The evolutionist argues that the trouble with man is that he has not had time to develop sufficiently. In due course he will learn by experience how to handle himself. The second view, held by those who believe in eugenics, is that proper breeding will eliminate or greatly minimize the problem by a process akin to the inheritance of acquired characteristics. The third view is that of many sociologists. They argue that the problem is one of environment. Allow a child to be brought up in an atmosphere where violence and dishonesty are considered normal and you cannot expect anything but juvenile delinquency to result. There is also the fourth view. The Educationists, like the Greek Philosophers, have tended to equate sin with ignorance. In fairness to them it must be said there is considerable evidence that this optimistic view, so characteristic of the close of the last century, is receiving thoughtful reappraisal. Yet, the conviction is still very strong that if a man can only be shown what is best, he will adopt it. Now we may apply the Philosopher's theorem. What is the single point of agreement in all these views? It is simply that man's wickedness is the result of something lacking. The evolutionist says time is lacking; the eugenist, that breeding is lacking; the sociologist, that the proper environment is lacking; the educationist, that knowledge is lacking.45

How do these explanations stack up against the scientific evidence?

Perhaps for the reason that it offered an easy absolution, the notion that the armed conflicts we see in the world today are the product of our biological evolutionary career has been eagerly assimilated. The notion, as we have shown, is in all probability a myth.46

Slaughter, not reason‑not some romanticized propensity for peace and goodness ‑ has been man's ultimate resolve. With back pressed resolutely to wall, man does not display compassion or brotherly love. At best, he may show some measure of socially conditioned restraint‑but only momentarily. Sooner or later he resumes his role as the nearly unhinged killer of historical record.47

Also absent, apart from very few examples from prehistoric art prior to the agricultural revolution is depiction of war. There are two possible explanations for this omission. First, that warfare was common before our ancestors began to abandon the gathering‑and‑hunting economy in favor of sedentary agriculture, but that for some reason‑lack of interest or the fear of inviting bad luck perhaps ‑‑ artists did not reproduce images of it. Or, second, that it was not. After the agricultural revolution, when we begin to find other evidence of war, such as heavily fortified towns like Jericho in what is now Israel, artists did paint pictures of battles, particularly ones in which they were victorious.

Once again we cannot know why pre‑agricultural revolution art makes only scant reference to war, whereas art after the revolution does depict battles that, we know from other archaeological evidence, did take place. But one reasonable explanation must be that organized murder was a rare and unimportant element in the way of life.48

An often‑stated answer to these and like questions is that our brain is a very inefficient organ: We normally use only a small fraction of its

potential in our everyday lives.49

But female nonhuman primates lead very subdued sex lives, becoming sexually receptive at intervals that are frequently separated by years rather than months. Human females, by contrast, are interested in sex all the time. 50

... individual humans' sexuality is a unique phenomenon in the animal kingdom ... 51

It is my opinion that the lack of a breeding cycle in the human race, unique and unexplained by any anthropological theory, is due to and was lost at the Fall, since the fallen nature in us is in full‑time activity and is expressed through the flesh.

A SUMMARIZATION OF ALL RELEVANT SCIENTIFIC FINDINGS IN THIS AREA IS AS FOLLOWS:

Improved education and environment do change the behavior of man, but have no effect on his nature. As soon as conditions arise where societal restraints are removed, "well‑bred" people behave no better than their "uncultured" counterparts. The idea that man's aggressive behavior is an instinct inherited from his evolutionary origins is not supported by any evidence. What evidence there is indicates that such is not true at all. Studies of the behavior of animals in their natural habitats show no evidence of an aggressive instinct. Man did not acquire his destructive behavior from an evolutionary heritage.

Underneath our conscious, cultured veneer is an unconscious primitive nature- containing evil and destructive forces that rule our thoughts and actions.

IQ testing over a period of years in America and, independently, in Great Britain shows that intelligence levels are dropping every generation at the rate of 2‑3 percentage points. All evidence indicates that this is not a recent development and has been occurring for some time.

‑Physiological evidence obtained from investigations in the field of comparative anatomy corroborates the conclusion indicated above: that the human race is in a state of progressive degeneration. 62

IV. GOD'S SOLUTION TO THE FALL: CHRIST

So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden the Cherubim, and the flame of a sword, which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life. (Gen. 3:24)

That ye were at that time separate from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers front the covenants of the promise, having no hope and without God in the world. (Eph. 2:12)

So then as through one trespass the judgement came unto all men to condemnation; even so through one act of righteousness the free gift came unto all men to justification of life. For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the one shall the many be made righteous. (Rom. 6:18‑19)

Having cancelled the bond which stood against us with its legal demands this he set aside, nailing it to the cross. (Col. 2:14 RSV)

That he might redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. (Gal. 4:5)

Because of the Fall, Adam, and all his descendants, became corrupt in his body ‑ making him subject to physical death. Man's soul came thoroughly into subjection to the satanic nature in his flesh and his spirit became almost completely deadened. What did God do, give up and start over? No, He came as a man to succeed where Adam failed.

Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body didst thou prepare for me; (Heb. 10:5).

Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.... And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Spirit shall come upon thee, and the power of the Most High shall overshadow thee: wherefore also the holy thing which is begotten shall be called the Son of God. (Luke 1:26‑27, 35)

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. (Matt. 1:18)

But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, (Gal. 4:4)

Since then the children are sharers in flesh and blood, he also himself in like manner partook of the same; that through death he might bring to naught him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; (Heb. 2:14)

God incarnated Himself as a man, the very man Jesus, to solve the problem created by the Fall. He was born of a virgin and of the Holy Spirit; thus He had full divinity and full humanity, yet it was humanity without the sinful nature. Human beings have 23 pairs of chromosomes, 22 of which are identical. If you are a man, then you have an X and a Y gender-determining chromosome: you received the X chromosome from your mother and the Y chromosome from your father. Because He was conceived of a virgin, the Lord’s X chromosome (and the half of the other 22 pairs received from Mary) did not have the sinful nature passed on, giving Him a perfect human nature without sin. And He received a complete Divine nature through His Y chromosome (and the half of the other 22 pairs received from God the Father), which came directly from the essence of God as the Holy Spirit. JESUS ALONE OF THE HUMAN RACE IS BOTH THE PERFECT MAN AND THE COMPLETE GOD: A GOD-MAN!

For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: (Rom. 8:3)

Him who knew no sin he made to be sin on our behalf‑, that we might become the righteousness of God in him. (2 Cor. 5:21)

And Jehovah sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died. And the people came to Moses, and said, we have sinned, because we have spoken against Jehovah, and against thee; pray unto Jehovah, that he take away the serpents from us, And Moses prayed for the people. And Jehovah said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a standard: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he seeth it, shall live. And Moses made a serpent of brass, and set it upon the standard: and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he looked unto the serpent of brass, he lived. (Num 21:6‑9)

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up; (John 3:14)

The Old Testament type of the brass serpent is a profound picture of what Christ is to us. As descendants of Adam, we have all been bitten by the serpent Satan and have his poison working in us‑ the end result of which is physical death in this temporal existence and spiritual, eternal death in the world to come. In the Old Testament type, the Israelites were saved by looking to a brass serpent set upon the standard. Today, we may be saved by looking to Christ, who was set upon the standard of the cross. By taking on the form of a man without having the sinful nature of a man, God would be able to fulfill the righteous requirements of His own law for us ‑ this is the positive side. On the negative side, by being in the form of a man, he could take the old, corrupted human flesh and nail it to the cross ‑ thus destroying Satan's power over us. Because of the divine nature in Him, death was unable to hold Him and he rose out of the grave to make available to us all that He has accomplished.

... Christ Jesus: who existing in the form of God, counted not the being on an equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men; (Phil. 2:5‑7).

For I am come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him that sent me. (John 6:38)

I [Jesus] have a baptism to be baptized with; and how I am constrained until it is accomplished! (Luke 12:60 RSV).

Or thinkest thou that I cannot beseech my Father, and he shall even now send me more than twelve legions of angels? (Matt. 26:63)

Now Jesus stood before the governor: and the governor asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And Jesus said unto him, Thou sayest. And when he was accused by the chief priests and elders, he answered nothing. Then saith Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee? And he gave him no answer, not even to one word ... (Matt. 27:11‑14)

But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou art the Christ, the Son of God. Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Henceforth ye shall see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coning on the clouds of heaven. (Matt. 26:63‑64)

Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of' the devil. And the tempter came and said unto him, if thou art the Son of God ... (Matt. 4:1, 3)

Jesus heard that they had put him out; and finding him, He said, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?" (John 9:35 NASB)

During the entire time of His incarnation, Jesus limited Himself to doing the will of God as a man, not as God. He never exalted or defended Himself; He gave no occasion for the characteristics of the fallen nature that so dominates us to ever have power over Him. So when Satan came to tempt Him, he tried to get Jesus to respond as the Son of God rather than as a man. But Jesus wouldn't fall for it at any time ‑ He always refers to Himself as the Son of Man.

For we have not a high priest that cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities‑, but one that hath been in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. (Heb. 4:16)

And being found in appearance as a man, lie humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (Phil. 2:8 NASB)

And Jesus uttered a loud cry, and breathed His last. And the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. (Mark 15:37-38)

But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation) he entered once for all into the Holy Place, taking not the blood of goats and calves but his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption (for us). (Heb. 9:11‑12 RSV)

Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death no more hath dominion over him. (Rom 6:9)

Who his own self  bare our sins in his body upon the tree, that we, having died unto sins, might live unto righteousness (I Pet. 2:24).

For he who has died is freed from sin. (Rom 6:7 NASB)

God in Christ has fulfilled all of God's requirements and accomplished God's purpose for us. Because of the Fall, man was totally unable to please God or accomplish anything for God. Today, it is entirely not a matter of right or wrong‑it is entirely a matter of Christ. No matter how good a life a person tries to lead, they can in no way satisfy God. Only by being in Christ the perfect man and by having Christ in us can we meet God's requirements and enter into God's presence.

V. REGENERATION

And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit

upon all flesh ... (Joel 2:28‑29)

For the wages of sin is death; but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Rom. 6:23)

Or despiseth thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and long-suffering, not knowing that God's kindness is intended to lead you to repentance? (Rom. 2:4:  A Compendium of different translations according to the Greek)

Say unto them, as I live, saith the Lord Jehovah, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die ... (Ezek. 33:11)

Then he opens the ears of men, and terrifies them with warnings, that he may turn man aside from his deed, and cut off pride from man; (Job 33:16‑17 RSV).

And as for you, ye meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive. (Gen. 50:20)

So the king did not hearken to a people; for it was a turn of affairs brought about God ...(2 Chron. 10:15 RSV)

As many us I love, I reprove and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent, Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come into him ... (Rev. 3:19‑20)

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some count slackness; but is longsuffering to you-ward, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. (2 Pet. 3:9)

For no evil ever came from His hands. Let this truth be fixed in our hearts: and whenever we are troubled with the thorn or thistle, with the poisonous or useless weed, with the noxious beast, with the extreme of heat or cold, or with any of the other countless inconveniences and pains of our present condition: whenever we feel ready to faint by reason of fightings without and fears within, let us remember that God made all things good, and avoiding hard thoughts of Him, say, An enemy hath done this.53

Now that Satan does carry to God slanderous reports of the actions and motives of men we learn from the Book of Job. And the life of the same patriarch also supplies us with an instance of the cruel violence which seems to follow these accusations so invariably that the whole princedom of Satan has become a realm of injustice, in which the servants of God suffer affliction, while the wicked as a rule, flourish. For the present the Lord permits this state of things, because His own children need the furnace to purge away their dross; but hereafter He will assuredly require all their sorrows and all their tears at the hands of their malignant persecutor.54

Another one of the main reasonings that unbelievers have, and that does much to keep them from coming to Christ, is somewhat along this line: "If God is real, why does He permit all the bad things in this world to happen?" (The implication being that either God is not real or that God is not just.) Why, indeed? God cannot accept us as we are, in our fallen state. God in Christ has solved the problems caused for us by the Fall. For Him to judge the world now, He would have to condemn with it those who have not yet accepted Christ. This is why He is patient, but He will not withhold His righteous judgment forever. All who have not yet turned to Christ are, without realizing it, subjects in the kingdom of Satan. Being such, God will allow them to suffer a certain amount of evil at the hands of the ruler whom they have not yet forsaken, in hopes that they will repent. If it were possible to have a man­made utopia, how few would turn to Christ! So, appearances to the contrary, everything is finally in God's hands and is to the intent that all who would will come to repentance. What is repentance? Repentance is simply this: admitting the truth to God‑that you need Him and can't do without Him, that your true state is that of a fallen being in need of divine forgiveness. This is the negative side: we need to be redeemed because our life has become incurably corrupted, and repentance is the recognition on our part of this fact.

On the positive side, we need to be regenerated so that we may have the life of God. We receive this by believing in the Lord Jesus and accepting Him as our life. Today, it is not a matter of good and evil, it is totally a matter of life. Only God's life, available to us in Christ, can possibly meet God's standards ‑our human life is totally incapable of doing so. At the judgment, those who perish will do so not because of their works but because they do not have God's life in them, since this life is available to everyone.

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them. (2  Cor. 4:4)

Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot seethe kingdom of God." ( John 3:3 NASB)

But as many as received him, to them gave he the right to become children of God, even to them that believe on his name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (John 1:12‑13)

Repent ye therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that so there may come seasons of refreshing from the presence of the Lord. (Acts 3:19)

As in water face answers to face, so the mind of man reflects the man. (Prov. 27:19 RSV)

... that ye may believe that Jesus is the Christ, The Son of God; and that believing ye may have life in his name. (John 20:31)

The mind is the leading part of the soul; today the spiritual warfare that is going on is mainly centered in the minds of the human race. If the spiritual reality as the Bible conveys it is true, then it will be validated by the objective findings of science ‑ there should be no contradictions. This is the purpose of this book: that you may be logically shown the facts involved so that there will be no false mental barriers to your acceptance of the truth.

To whom God was pleased to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: (Col. 1:27)

... Or know ye not as to your own selves, that Jesus Christ is in you? ... (2 Cor. 13:51)

The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit. (2 Tim. 4:22 Intl. Greek)

So also it is written, the first man Adam became a living soul. The last Adam (Christ) became a life‑giving Spirit. (1 Cor. 15:46)

Not by works done in righteousness, which we did ourselves, but according to his mercy he saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit. (Titus 3:5)

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (John 3:6)

And if Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. (Rom. 8:10 NASB)

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you; and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. (Ezek. 36:26)

As the life‑giving Spirit, Christ is fully available today to everyone. Just turn to Him and believe in Him, and He will come into your human spirit‑ imparting the very eternal life of God to you. You will have a new (regenerated) spirit within you to enable you to have fellowship with God Himself. You will also have a new (renewed) heart, as a consequence, with which you can love God.

And Jehovah came down in the cloud, and spoke unto him, and took

of the Spirit that was upon him, and put it upon the seventy elders: and

it came to pass, that, when the Spirit rested upon them, they prophesied,

but they did so no more. (Num. 11:25)

Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy Holy Spirit from me. (Psalm  51:11)

Then the Spirit lifted me up, and took me away; and I went in bitterness, in the heat of my spirit; and the hand of Jehovah was strong upon me. (Ezek. 3:14)

But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. (with the Lord). (I Cor. 6:17)

In the Old Testament, believers could experience the abiding of the Holy Spirit upon them, but it was always an experience separate from their very being‑something that could come and go‑because there was no mingling of the Holy Spirit with their human spirit. Today it is a different story: whenever a person turns to the Lord, the Holy Spirit becomes irreversibly mingled with their human spirit. Can you undo your physical birth? Neither can a person who is born again undo their re‑birth!

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day ... (Rev. 1:10 KJV)

I was in spirit on the Lord's Day ... (Rev. 1:10 NASB)

The Holy Spirit is so thoroughly mingled with the spirit of the believer that it is hard to tell in many verses whether the verse is referring to the Holy Spirit or to the human spirit. Why? Because they are inseparable in the New Testament believer, you cannot refer to their spirit as just being a human spirit‑ it is both the Holy Spirit and the human spirit inseparably mingled as one. This has given more than a few headaches to Bible translators, as there are several verses referring to this mingled spirit in believers, and translators simply couldn't reach a consensus on whether to translate the word 'spirit' with a capital S or with a small s.

(God) who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before times eternal. (2 Tim. 1:9)

For by grace have ye been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not of works, that no man should glory. (Eph 2:8‑9)

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, not‑ things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Rom. 8:38‑39)

Once you are born again you are eternally saved, but, as we shall see later, there is more involved to salvation than the degraded concept that regeneration is merely "fire insurance."

VI.  TRANSFORMATION (AND TRANSFIGURATION)

But as many as received him, to them gave he the right to become children of God, even to them that believe on his name: (John 1:12).

Being confident of this very thing, that he who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Jesus Christ: (Phil. 1:6)

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them. (2 Cor. 4:4)

... After those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and on their heart also will I write them: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: (Heb. 8:10).

Being made manifest that ye are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God: not in tables of stone, but in tables that are hearts of flesh. (2 Cor. 3:3)

I find then the law that, to me who would do good, evil is present. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: but I see a different law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity under the law of sin which is in my members. (Rom. 7:21‑23)

For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and tile Spirit against tile flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. (Gal. 5:17 NASB)

Beloved, I beseech you as sojourners and pilgrims to abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; (I Pet. 2:11)

When a person is born again, Christ Himself as the life‑giving Spirit comes into their spirit. What about our human soul and our physical body? It is Christ's intention to spread from our spirit into our soul, transforming it to conform to Him, who is the image of God. In opposition to this is the satanic nature in our flesh. Immediately upon being born again, our soul (mainly the mind as the foremost part) becomes a battlefield. By the exercise of our will, we decide (bit by bit) whom we let win in us ‑‑ our flesh expressed as our self or the Lord in our spirit.

But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof. (Rom. 13:14)

... That I may gain Christ. (Phil. 3:8)

And have put on the new man, that is being renewed unto knowledge after the image of him that created him: (Col. 3:10)

My little children, of whom I am again in travail until Christ be formed in you. (Gal. 4:19)

That, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, . . . put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and true holiness. (Eph. 4:22, 24 NASB)

The process of transformation is not a process of producing spiritual robots. It is the process of a person becoming one with God in their very being, replacing the corrupted with the perfect. It is not a process of' annihilating the self-but of renewing the soul. There are religious cults that require the subjection of their members’ individuality in order that they may be programmed to accept the persona of the cult leader as their own. Such subjugation of the self invariably impairs the functioning of the faculties of the soul‑ producing the "zombie" effect. Transformation of the soul produces a personality change of similar degree but absolutely not of the same type. Transformation of the soul, unlike brain‑washing, improves the functioning (albeit gradually) of the faculties of the soul. The mind is renewed (not subdued as in a cult) so that believers are in unity not because their selves have been suppressed, but because they are all being transformed into the likeness of God, Christ.

And as we have borne the image of the earthly, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. (1 Cor. 15:49)

Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.... Seeing ye have purified your souls in your obedience to the truth ... (1 Pet. 1:9, 221)

... work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who worketh in you both to will and to work, for his good pleasure. (Phil. 2:12‑13)

That the ordinance of a law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit, (Rom. 8:4)

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; so neither can ye; except ye abide in me. (John 15:4)

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day ... (Rev. 1:10)

For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, (Rom. 8:6 NASB)

How fast a person is transformed depends entirely on him or her. The more time that we spend in the Spirit by setting our mind on our spirit, the more Christ will grow in our soul, transforming us.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind ... (Rom 12:2 KJV)

And he died for all, that they that live should no longer live unto themselves, but unto him who for their sakes died and rose again. (2 Cor. 5:15)

He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)

He that loveth his (self) life shall lose it; and he that hateth his (self) life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal (John 1215 KJV)

And he said unto all; if any man would come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. (Luke 9:23)

The process of transformation is not some nebulous impractical thing; rather, it is a practical daily matter of choosing Christ in our spirit.

For what is a man advantaged, if he gains the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away? (Luke 9:25 Intl. Greek)

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? ... (Matt. 16:26 Intl. Greek)

These verses show that, due to the Fall, our self personifies our soul. It is this self, what we are naturally, that we must deny in order to gain Christ. You cannot deny the self by religious self‑effort. The only way to deny the self is to turn to the spirit.

I have been crucified with Christ and it is no longer I that live, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith the faith which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me. (Gal 2:20)

Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with him, that the body of sin might be done away, so that  we should no longer be in bondage to sin; (Rom. 6:6)

Furthermore, we had the fathers of our flesh to chasten us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they indeed for a few days chastened us its seemed good to them‑, but he for our profit, that we may be partakers of his holiness. (Heb. 12:9‑10)

And we know that to them that love God all things work together for good, even to them that are called according to his purpose. (Rom. 8:28)

... I will put my law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people: (Jer. 31:33)

All of the practicality of what Christ had done is available in the Spirit: The reality of the work of the cross is in the Spirit: to apply the work of the cross, turn to the spirit. All of the situations in the daily lives of believers are for one purpose: to turn them from their selves to their spirits and thus be transformed.

And Jehovah descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, . . . And it came to pass, when Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tables of the testimony in Moses' hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses knew not that the skin of his face shone by reason of his speaking with him. And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come nigh him.... And when Moses had done speaking with them, he put a veil on his face. But when Moses went in before Jehovah to speak with him, lie took the veil off ... (Exod. 34:5, 29‑30, 33‑34)

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding and reflecting as a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Lord who is the Spirit. (2 Cor. 3:18 Compendium of different translations according to the Greek)

... But we have the mind of Christ. ( 1 Cor. 2:16)

For who among men knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of the man, which is in him? (I Cor. 2:11)

Therefore we have been comforted: and in our comfort we enjoy the more exceedingly for the joy of Titus, because his spirit hath been refreshed by you all. (2 Cor. 7:13)

Now after these things were ended, Paul purposed in the spirit ... (Acts 19:21)

The end result of transformation is that our soul will magnify and express the Lord Himself (who is) in our spirit. The most beautiful picture of transformation in the physical world is that of the caterpillar becoming a butterfly. The same Greek root word of the English word 'metamorphosis' is the word translated as 'transformation' in 2 Corinthians 3:18. The faster the ugly caterpillar eats, the sooner he will be transformed into the beautiful butterfly. In like manner, the more a believer turns to their spirit, the faster will be their transformation.

But unto the married I give charge, yet not I, but the Lord ... But to the rest say I, not the Lord ... (1 Cor. 6:10, 12).

Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: but I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be trustworthy.... and I think that I also have the Spirit of God. (1 Cor. 7:25, 40)

As a believer becomes transformed, it becomes harder and harder to tell them and the Lord apart. Christ and the believer become more and more mingled as one. Eventually, Christ and the believer are mingled to the extent that the believer expresses Christ unconsciously: he may feel that he is merely expressing himself, yet he is expressing Christ.

Transfiguration:

For ye died, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life, shall be manifested, then shall ye also with him be manifested in glory. (Col. 3:3‑4)

Beloved, now are we children of God, and it is not yet made manifest what we shall be. We know that, if he shall be manifested, we shall be like him: for we shall see him even as he is. (1 John 3:2)

And not only so, but ourselves also, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for our adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. (Rom. 8:23)

… the Lord Jesus Christ: who shall fashion anew the body of our humiliation that it may be conformed to the body of his glory, according to the working whereby he is able even to subject all things unto himself. (Phil  3:21-22)

And he was transfigured before them; and his face did shine as the sun and his garments became white as light. (Matt. 17:2)

Behold, I tell you a mystery: We all shall not sleep [die physically], but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. (1 Cor. 15:51‑52)

Even after the believer is transformed in his or her soul, there is still the problem of the physical body. As long as the old physical body remains there will still be the corrupt flesh belonging to the old creation. It will not be until the Lord's return that this final part of the believer will be replaced with a new, perfect body. This will be the ultimate consummation of the life‑process begun with regeneration. Just as the butterfly bursts forth from the caterpillar, whose life is hid in the chrysalis, so shall our new life in Christ burst forth from these frail mortal bodies at His return.

A further note: There is confusion on the part of many believers about the difference between salvation and regeneration. Regeneration is related to life, whereas salvation is related to the world. If you are regenerated, you will be saved (regeneration being necessary for salva­tion), but the difference in whether you work out your own salvation (be transformed in this age or whether it is worked out later (during the time of the millennial kingdom) depends on your exercise of free will (whereas regeneration is predestinated). As with the type of Noah's ark, only those who entered into the ark were delivered from the tribu­lation of the Flood. Only those who are separated from the world to fully enter into Christ now in this age will be ready to be taken out of the world before the tribulation.