IGNORED

Should I continue honoring a Muslim father?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Greetings everyone:

Growing up with loving parents, which included a step dad throughout my life, I didn't have to deal with my real dad until a couple of years ago. One of his MANY other children, went looking for me at our old house that has been in my family for quite some time. My sister lives there today and gave my number to them and they contacted me. When my family and I had family events going on in California, we actually took the time to meet him and his 13 children.

It's been a bit over a year ago since the last time I took a trip to California, but he's been in touch with me, more than what I appreciate by phone! At first, our conversations were pretty good, just trying to catch up on life and trying to know one another. After these initial conversations, and realizing when we met, that I'm not a Muslim, he started little by little, attacking the deity of Christ, attacking how Christian women dress today, how pastors are swine eaters, how the Bible is a corrupt book, how Christians in the crusades had killed millions of innocent people and the list was endless. Each time, he would end with how wonderful and beautiful the  religion and people of Islam were and the sinless prophet Muhammad. He shared through youtube, MANY videos on what we wanted to show me.

Because I LOVE God and LOVE truth, I grew tired of being so passive in trying my best in honoring him as a parent. I asked help from the Lord Jesus and started researching and seeing through every lie that my dad was speaking and there were too many! Instead of allowing him to babble non-stop, attacking my faith in God all the time, I used my new knowledge and wisdom of God, and closed his mouth! I was able to counteract his attacks and quite well. This of course made the man livid and he would hang up on me various times, lying that we always lost connection.

I have forgiven him for all his attacks, but I also do not see or have any interest in continuing our conversations either, as they seem almost demonic-like with extreme babbling and hostility towards Jesus. I don't see anything productive coming from them.

So, if perhaps some of you here, may be able to share some suggestions and biblical perspectives when dealing with a parent like this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you kindly!

*****Still trying to learn my way around here! I would like to THANK YOU ALL, for such excellent insights into this issue! All these responses give me things to think about and I truly appreciate my brothers and sisters offering suggestions that are reflective of what God would want from us. Thank you and may you continue to walk in the way, the truth and life that is in Christ Jesus!+******

Edited by Virginia House of Kings
new and just learning to use this forum
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Understand that in his eyes it is his duty to make you believe Mohammad.  Keep spoon feeding him the gospel a little at a time and it seems to me that sooner or later he will understand or decide to leave you alone. I would think the Holy Spirit would be involved in dealing with his spirit.    Pray for him to understand... 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Hi Virginia, 

First of all, welcome to Worthy Ministries. From what I'm gathering in your message, it sounds like you'd rather cut ties with your father. Of course, it's good to honor him as it says to by scripture, but he's not really an active father, and only seems interested in converting you to Islam. Sorry this has become such a burden for you. If the calls are that annoying, perhaps avoid picking them up every time.

Maybe a text back here and there will suffice. Your father will get the message eventually, that you truly aren't interested in being a Muslim. There's no indication of how old you are, or if the life you have now is independent of having parental figures on a constant basis. So, any advice given is speculating how things really are for you. I'm praying for this situation, and all the best in Christ. God bless you. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

You do still need to honor your father.  God gave him to you as a gift to demonstrate how great His love is for even those who despise Him and persecute Him.  Your dad is really reacting to Christ in you.  We are told to overcome evil with good.  Try sending him small simple gifts just because you love him, and so does Jesus.  He may become angrier or despise your gift, but that is OK.  It is hard to be a parent to our dads, but if he throws a temper tantrum, you have to act like the patient adult.  You are also sharing in the sufferings of Christ.  He is in heaven praying for you.  

Mat 5:3  "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 5:4  "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Mat 5:5  "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Mat 5:6  "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

Mat 5:7  "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

Mat 5:8  "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Mat 5:9  "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Mat 5:10  "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 5:11  "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.

Mat 5:12  Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you,

Rom 8:31  What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

Rom 8:32  He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?

Rom 8:33  Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies.

Rom 8:34  Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.

Rom 8:35  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?

Rom 8:36  As it is written, "For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered."

Rom 8:37  No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

Rom 8:38  For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,

Rom 8:39  nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

There are many ways of honouring ones parents.

In your situation using respectful language is all that is required. Respect works both ways. He also has to be respectful of you and your faith. If he can't or won't let him know that you will cease contacting him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,360
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

Hi Virginia, and welcome to WCF. There are some gems given to you above to meditate on. I don't think you can really go wrong with what has been shared. Keeping a "right heart attitude" toward your dad is paramount, hard though that may be, but as The Word tells us, LOVE CONQUERS EVIL, and "they will know that we are christians by our love." Proverbs 25:21,22. " If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.22 For so you will heap coals of fire on his head, and The Lord will reward you. So really, you just need to walk in the "opposite spirit" that your dad is displaying toward you, and you will surely see the result. Pray also that The Holy Spirit convicts your dad to show him the "falseness" of Islam, and the reality of relationship that is only found in Jesus as Saviour and Lord, amen. As always, I hope this helps, God bless.

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, May I add that this man evidently has not been your father guiding you  from infancy to adulthood.

You have shared of Jesus in response to a relative stranger who has been harsh in response back is all.

You are an adopted child, adopted as all that have been called by the Holy Spirit to turn to Christ Jesus as Lord God and savior and as intercessor to The Father.

Praying for your peace and for your safety throughout life. Amen

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Never isolate a Bible verse from its greater context! Honor thy father and mother does not mean acquiesce to their perversities, nor join in their strong delusion.

• Thumbs Up 1