IGNORED

Does anyone know of any contradictions in the bible?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/12/1986

I was wondering if there are contradictions of the same story in the bible, and if there are what does that mean for the validity of the bible?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

There are all kinds of people who try desperately to prove the  Bible invalid because of "contradictions" that they find.  I've seen all sort of those alleged contradictions for decades.  I haven't seen one of them proven true - as in a valid contradiction of scripture.

There are a small amount of copyist's errors in numbers in places like the Chronicles.  But those aren't contradictions.

A contradiction is something like one person saying "I had my gall bladder taken out last month."  And the doctor saying, "I just did an x-ray and his gall bladder is intact."  Opposite statements and someone is lying.

Is there any particular alleged contradiction that you are concerned about?

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, Shua3000 said:

I was wondering if there are contradictions of the same story in the bible, and if there are what does that mean for the validity of the bible?

I don't know of any contradictions personally. Perhaps, it may be the particular interpretation of some biblical translations that might differ a bit from others. None the less, I believe the Word of God stands true. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

There are differences in the resurrection accounts in the Gospels.  But they are not contradictions.  They name different people who came to the tomb or saw Him.  People should remember that all saw Him or came, but different people are remembered of the groups each time.  Witness accounts usually are slightly different or police would assume they were rehearsed and conspired.  So it is in these cases.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Just to be clear, I dont ask to try to prove that there are contradictions. I'm asking because I dont believe there are any.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

I have had hundreds of "contradictions" shared with me. Most go away easily in two ways:

1) They had something wrong in English that isn't there in the original Bible languages

2) They want to disbelieve rather than seeing logical solutions to the very verse they're complaining about

3) Like all unbelievers, since they do not see the scripture as one voice, they refuse to compare scripture with scripture to balance their views

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

22 hours ago, Shua3000 said:

there are some differences in the perceptions of different people telling a story as you phrase it....    sort of like eye witnesses telling the story to the police of something they have witnessed.  If all 4 gospels said exactly the same thing using the same words I don't think I would be nearly as inclined to believe it...    As for critical points of something happened and something didn't happen, I am not familiar with anything like that.

There are some problems with translating Hebrew and Greek to English; but still not without leaving other parts of scripture that covers the subject also....    

• 2 weeks later...

But doesn't the bible say things like, "turn the other cheek." And, "Vegence is mine sayegh the lord." Doesnt it say not to be violent. But also isnt there stories of God helping people to "destroy" their enemy? Could anything like that contradict itself?

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, Shua3000 said:

But doesn't the bible say things like, "turn the other cheek." And, "Vegence is mine sayegh the lord." Doesnt it say not to be violent. But also isnt there stories of God helping people to "destroy" their enemy? Could anything like that contradict itself?

The message of the Bible is to follow the will of God...  If the will of God means He orders you to go out and smite someone then you should follow His will and go out and smite them.. But it does not mean you go out and smite people that you want to smite because God at one time told you to smite a particular group of people..  The general rule over time with God is Thou shalt not kill... So without any direct orders from God that's the rule you follow.. 

The last standing rules from God came through the Gospel message of our LORD Jesus Christ,,  they include the ""turn the other cheek" And " Vengeance is mine sayeth the LORD"  So without any new direct orders from God these are the policies the followers of God should be following..

I believe these Gospel orders will be in effect until the return of my LORD Jesus Christ..

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 4/8/2019 at 10:19 PM, Shua3000 said:

It depends on context and the meaning of the words when we read. I would say no there isnt not to my knowledge, but it takes lots of study.