dr3032

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

A few days ago, there was a storm in the area. There was a massive BOOM that shook the entire house. This, it turns out, was lightning striking hard upon a nearby Lutheran church. It currently still has concrete and debris laying about, closed off with yellow tape.

My dad was speaking of this, and he stated that the church must have been struck for a reason. Perhaps the priest chases after children, or it's one of those churches that endorses polygamy. Maybe they spread false teachings, and that is why they were hit by lightning. Basically, because they either live in or had sinned, then that is why this happened.

However, is this not also what Job's friends assumed of him? His family died, his livestock was carried off, and he was stricken with a disease that rendered him unrecognizable (black skin, boils, a burning sensation in his bones, and restless nights). He became a byword. His friends saw him scraping his skin with a potsherd, they saw him in his deep despair, and they assumed that he had sinned. Surely, why else would such misfortune befall such an upright man? Despite his explaining over and over again that he had not sinned, they did not believe him. All this had happened not because of a sin he had commited, but as a test of his faith.

Must we then assume that this nearby church is wicked and sinful, based off of being struck by lightning? As I explained to my dad, some things merely happen. They are difficult if not impossible to understand. There are intricacies and undertones beyond our understanding or even our perception. You see it all the time here on WCF in the prayer request forums. Must we assume that they sinned, because of a medical issue? Did they do wickedly, because of difficulty within a marriage? We are but men upon the Earth, and it is not our place to assume.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom,

It's very hard to say WHY it happened. But I think it's very fair to say that Yahweh KNOWS it happened.  

Without knowing the intricacies of the Church, the leadership and the congregation, it's very hard to comment.  But, we know it has gotten people's attention and surely made the leadership examine themselves and their flock (hopefully).

This story reminds me of when Jim Caviezel got struck by lightning when filming "Passion of the Christ".  Here's the story: BBC, Youtube

Love & Shalom

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Did you know that for ages, people argued against using lightning rods on church roofs ?

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, dr3032 said:

A few days ago, there was a storm in the area. There was a massive BOOM that shook the entire house. This, it turns out, was lightning striking hard upon a nearby Lutheran church. It currently still has concrete and debris laying about, closed off with yellow tape.

Must we then assume that this nearby church is wicked and sinful, based off of being struck by lightning? As I explained to my dad, some things merely happen. They are difficult if not impossible to understand. There are intricacies and undertones beyond our understanding or even our perception. You see it all the time here on WCF in the prayer request forums. Must we assume that they sinned, because of a medical issue? Did they do wickedly, because of difficulty within a marriage? We are but men upon the Earth, and it is not our place to assume.

No not really. It rains on the just and the unjust alike. This must also include any lightening that may occur with a storm as well. God bless. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

that's hard to say if the church was struck by lighting for a reason,  maybe & maybe not :)

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

4 hours ago, dr3032 said:

My dad was speaking of this, and he stated that the church must have been struck for a reason. Perhaps the priest chases after children, or it's one of those churches that endorses polygamy. Maybe they spread false teachings, and that is why they were hit by lightning. Basically, because they either live in or had sinned, then that is why this happened.

However, is this not also what Job's friends assumed of him? His family died, his livestock was carried off, and he was stricken with a disease that rendered him unrecognizable (black skin, boils, a burning sensation in his bones, and restless nights). He became a byword. His friends saw him scraping his skin with a potsherd, they saw him in his deep despair, and they assumed that he had sinned. Surely, why else would such misfortune befall such an upright man? Despite his explaining over and over again that he had not sinned, they did not believe him. All this had happened not because of a sin he had commited, but as a test of his faith.

One of the difficult things to accept, is that in this world, good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to everyone.

Yet, the greatest thing to happen to anyone, is to be accepted by God thru the Blood of Christ,  and thereby we are no longer actually be a part of this  world, other then to serve God while we wait to leave it with Jesus or by death.

Edited by Behold
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,400
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I'd be careful about ascribing anything to the reason why the church was struck, as others have pointed out. It also brings a few verses from James 1 to mind. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

7 hours ago, dr3032 said:

If every church that erred in doctrine or had too many bad sinners in it were struck by lighting, we’d probably be lucky to have 25% of churches stil standing and the Vatican would be a big pile of ashes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,705
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Sometimes a lightning strike is just a lightning strike....

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

God has a reason for everything that happens.