Joulre2abba

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

To me the word "God" is a generic replacement word as a way to address the Creator of the heavens and the earth.. the entire universe and all that it consists of.

In some bibles the word "God" is sometimes substituted for the Hebrew word Y-H-V-H. Which is said to be unpronounceable. In some bibles the word LORD is used in replacement of the tetragrammaton. Research says that the Hebrew gematria of Y-H-V-H has the number value of #26.. which is also the same number value of the Hebrew word havah.. which translates to love.

I do wonder if the apostle John intended to convey that when he wrote "God is love".

I've researched and discovered that the word "God" has it's origins in Germany. The word "good" is by the Germans pronounced "gauht", or was it goht"..?

So, if I was to say "grace" as I'd been taught, before we eat, I'd say "God is good.." But to the German I might as well be saying "gauht is goht".

Anyway I'm looking for a way to address the significant God in significance. Like maybe "God- the Source of all blessings."

-------

What are your thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,274
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

1 hour ago, Joulre2abba said:

To me the word "God" is a generic replacement word as a way to address the Creator of the heavens and the earth.. the entire universe and all that it consists of.

Anyway I'm looking for a way to address the significant God in significance. Like maybe "God- the Source of all blessings."

-------

What are your thoughts?

As shakespear said," a rose by any other name would still smell sweet."

Do you think the Spirit living in you is confused by your not knowing how to address our Lord, Creator, Sustainer and Saviour.

We are to worship God in Spirit and in Truth. That is the truth of the gospel and the truth of our dependance upon and love of and for Jesus.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Joulre2abba said:

What are your thoughts?

Shalom!

A very worthy subject matter to raise indeed.

As you say, when we read "the LORD" in the Bible, that's where translators have overwritten the name YHWH, which is thought to be pronounced either Yahweh or Yahuah - the Father's personal name.

I personally understand it to be Yahweh and, if anyone would like to read a study into this, I recommend the excellent free PDF study: The Sacred Name.

When we read "God" in the Bible, it can covers up a multitude of many beautiful and revealing titles for Yahweh, but principally it is used to replaced the word Elohim.  Elohim is a much deeper word than "God", because Elohim is technically a plural word, with El being the singular.  Therefore, we can witness the trinity referred to right at the beginning of Creation, in the original Hebrew! "In the beginning Elohim created to heavens and the earth".  This adequately reflects the Father, the Son and the Spirit being involved, rather than our poorly translated English version "..God created.. ", which causes confusion later when we learn the trinity was involved. 

There is a Bible called "The Names Of God Translation" which restores the original placement of Yahweh, Elohim, El, El Elyon, El Shaddai, etc back where there were originally found.  This imbues the Word with a new sense of intimacy and revelation that we miss in English.  The translation itself isn't the best ever but, with regards to this matter, two thumbs up! Online version.  Book Version

To know His Name is to know Him more.  When you have time, run a search of some Bible Software or Bible website on what the Father says about His Name. It's a very big deal.  After all, when we give glory to His Name, it shouldn't be to the name "God" really, because that is simply a title.  In the next life, we'll certainly will be praising Him with His Name, not "Lord" alone.  So why not get ahead start? :)

Before anyone gets offended - Yes, He knows what we mean when we say God and Lord.  I'm sure He knows that ignorance has overtaken us because of our limited translations and teachings that we learn from.  But, what will you say now that you know?  

----If you are easily offended, can't handle deep thoughts, or like to rant and rave in forums, spare us and stop reading here ---

It's interesting that one of the 10 commandments is concerning His name.  In Exodus 20:7, some think this is about speaking blasphemies, but that in itself doesn't really cut it. The original word for our English translation of "Vain" can mean emptiness or worthlessness.  So, another translation of Exodus 20:7 could be "You shall no bring the name of Yahweh to emptiness/worthlessness".  And hasn't this happened in the Church today? How often do you see His Name on banners or hear it mentioned in teachings and praise?  

Here is food for thought - Many times Israel worshipped Baal.  Baal can mean "husband" or "lord". It's technically a title rather than a name. Effectively, Israel were worshipping "the Lord", if you were to translate it.  Is that meant to be significant for us as an analogy?  

I have heard a lot of "prophets" in my life giving prophecies as follows:  "The Lord says..." or "thus saith the Lord...".  But nowhere in Scripture does the Father give a prophecy in the name of "The Lord" in Hebrew (Adonai), unless it's accompanied with His personal name, Yahweh.  How then can we listen to such prophets who speak as if they were inspired by the KJV rather than YHWH?  I might be wrong and they might be genuine.  However, I struggle to believe that the unchanging Yahweh would stop speaking in His name at the tail-end of history.  It reminds me of when Yahweh says, in Jeremiah 23:27 "They think the dreams they tell one another will make my people forget my name, just as their ancestors forgot my name through Baal worship."

It's a controversial view point I know.

As for me, l find great peace, protection and pleasure in His Name. I still use titles like God, Elohim and the Lord when speaking with brothers and sisters on occasion, to not sidetrack or distract from their question or topic.  A lot of believers are still in ignorance on the matter, as I once was, so I understand. Ultimately they know who I mean, I know who I mean, and Yahweh knows who I mean.  However, in my personal walk, when I pray or give praise, I exalt the name Yahweh.  HalleluYah not HalleluLord.

If you have any questions on the Name, feel free to let me know.  I studied it for quite a few years so I may be of help to you.  It's a fascinating topic I still love researching.

Love & Shalom

Edited by Tzephanyahu
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

When I just say God, it doesn't feel i'm giving Him the honor and respect He deserves, but He knows our hearts.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

What ever way you lift up His name He knows our heart and Spirit. He knows his sheep and soon he will call them out by name.

The word says that Jesus is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords

I know that we use the word God. One poster has said he felt the God did not seem to give Him the honor he deserves. I might agree. When I think about it their does not seem to be any words to truly expresses His greatness. Jesus said when we pray say Heavenly Father Hollowed  is thy Name 

When we come back to earth anything can be God or what ever we want to conceive him to be.  I like to speak of the Godhead as Lord for Jesus and the Father are one and Jesus said to the disciples "all power and authority has been given unto me in Heaven and in Earth"

Edited by Mike Mclees
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

8 hours ago, Joulre2abba said:

In some bibles the word "God" is sometimes substituted for the Hebrew word Y-H-V-H. Which is said to be unpronounceable. In some bibles the word LORD is used in replacement of the tetragrammaton. Research says that the Hebrew gematria of Y-H-V-H has the number value of #26.. which is also the same number value of the Hebrew word havah.. which translates to love.

I do wonder if the apostle John intended to convey that when he wrote "God is love".

I've researched and discovered that the word "God" has it's origins in Germany. The word "good" is by the Germans pronounced "gauht", or was it goht"..?

So, if I was to say "grace" as I'd been taught, before we eat, I'd say "God is good.." But to the German I might as well be saying "gauht is goht".

-------

What are your thoughts?

I think "God" is  a word to describe our Creator and the name we sometimes give him. It doesn't seem appropriate to me to call him by his name (Yahweh or Jehovah), just like I never called my dad "Bert." (I called him "Dad."). I'm usually not comfortable calling the Lord "God," either. I usually call him "Father" or "the Lord."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

God

1. The Supreme Being.

2. The First Person in the Holy Trinity

3. The Creator and ruler of all.

4. Love, trust, Holy, Compassion, mercy, grace

5. Sinless

6. I AM

7. Omnipotence, Omniscience, Omnipresence.

To name a few

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

the question you should be asking is what do the words in Greek and Hebrew that are translated God/god mean to those that were being written to at the time.....

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

9 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom!

A very worthy subject matter to raise indeed.

As you say, when we read "the LORD" in the Bible, that's where translators have overwritten the name YHWH, which is thought to be pronounced either Yahweh or Yahuah - the Father's personal name.

I personally understand it to be Yahweh and, if anyone would like to read a study into this, I recommend the excellent free PDF study: The Sacred Name.

That is done mainly for copywrite laws....   if you are going to publish a new Bible there is a percentage of the total words that have to be different to keep from paying someone to use their manuscript....    Changing Yahweh or Jehovah to Lord helped in doing that..   The reason for the change was financial and not doctrine related.    We still understand who it is speaking of, if we are familiar with the whole book...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, other one said:

That is done mainly for copywrite laws....   if you are going to publish a new Bible there is a percentage of the total words that have to be different to keep from paying someone to use their manuscript....    Changing Yahweh or Jehovah to Lord helped in doing that..   The reason for the change was financial and not doctrine related.    We still understand who it is speaking of, if we are familiar with the whole book...

You can print a KJV for free, as many as you like, as its in the Public Domain, regarding most of the world.