• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/12/2019 at 3:21 AM, Who me said:

As shakespear said," a rose by any other name would still smell sweet."

Do you think the Spirit living in you is confused by your not knowing how to address our Lord, Creator, Sustainer and Saviour.

We are to worship God in Spirit and in Truth. That is the truth of the gospel and the truth of our dependance upon and love of and for Jesus.

Thank you for commenting.

Yes we are to worship God in spirit and in truth, we love God and are dependent upon Him. And likewise of Jesus.

But there is my point.. we address God by that generic word, yet we know of the personal name of our Savior. .. well, the name Jesus does mean Savior. But I hope that you understand what I mean.

The word "God" in the English language doesn't mean anything but to refer to the Creator, when compared to the Hebrew word Elohim which more directly means the Creator, or the Hebrew word Y-H-V-H that is translated LORD.

It's not that I am confused on how to address God .. it's that I'm in a quandary to have a better word than what we all use.

I suppose that it would be comparative to a good friend of mine calling me "human" instead of my personal name.

We do however have the example in the personal name that Jesus used in speaking of God, which is "Father". 

It seems that there is no other name to use.. we all are to address God according to his nature, who He is. Creator, Redeemer, God of peace, God of righteousness, the everlasting Father, etc.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

On 4/12/2019 at 4:04 PM, Behold said:

You can print a KJV for free, as many as you like, as its in the Public Domain, regarding most of the world.

while that is true it really doesn't make it the most reliable.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

37 minutes ago, other one said:

while that is true it really doesn't make it the most reliable.

If you were to study manuscript evidence with the same devotion you give to studying some theories, you would discover the history/linage of the Byzantine Textus Receptus, or "received text" that was used to create the "Authorized Version", is the most credible-accurate Greek Text.

You would learn about pertinent info regarding "western manuscripts" and some things about Paul and what he wrote and where he was that are related to this... interesting things........ important things.

But, i'll tell you something that you can consider about this particular version that (also) sets it apart from any other translation.

And that is....... this verse......."you'll know them by their Fruit".........which means, that when God is in it, when God is manifesting His fruit as "Christ the VINE" thru a situation or a person or words, then there is always a result in the literal physical word that proves the power and anointing of God is at work.   And in the case of the KJV.......there is this clarion fact about it.......More preachers have been called while listening to or reading its text,.. More missionaries have been called or sent  while reading or listening to its text,  more people have been convicted of sin and found salvation in-Thru Christ, wile reading or listening to its text, and more revivals have been generated thru the reading and hearing of the KJV, in the history of the Church, then all other versions combined.

What i do, is use multiple versions of "bibles", but i check them, i reference them, using only one, the KJV.

And also, regarding me personally, i have this concept of it, as compared to all "new" bibles..... I realize that on the top of a mountain, you have frozen water that is always melting, and as this water runs farther away from the frozen-melting source, and heads down the mountain over time, this water loses its purity.   And so, the KJV, is closer to the original sources, then any "new" bible, and so, for me, this matters.

I have a long personal history with the KJV.  Ive seen its words, mend hearts, heal lives, and the words in it, once believed, save souls thru Christ.

Its trustworthy, and its anointed.   See, the bible is a a living book, filled with the words of the Living God, and it produces Light where once there was only darkness....It produces LIFE where once there was only death.

Thats a fact.

Edited by Behold

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 4/11/2019 at 10:41 PM, Joulre2abba said:

To me the word "God" is a generic replacement word as a way to address the Creator of the heavens and the earth.. the entire universe and all that it consists of.

In some bibles the word "God" is sometimes substituted for the Hebrew word Y-H-V-H. Which is said to be unpronounceable. In some bibles the word LORD is used in replacement of the tetragrammaton. Research says that the Hebrew gematria of Y-H-V-H has the number value of #26.. which is also the same number value of the Hebrew word havah.. which translates to love.

I do wonder if the apostle John intended to convey that when he wrote "God is love".

I've researched and discovered that the word "God" has it's origins in Germany. The word "good" is by the Germans pronounced "gauht", or was it goht"..?

So, if I was to say "grace" as I'd been taught, before we eat, I'd say "God is good.." But to the German I might as well be saying "gauht is goht".

Anyway I'm looking for a way to address the significant God in significance. Like maybe "God- the Source of all blessings."

-------

What are your thoughts?

I don't refer to my dad as "Elbert" - I refer to him as "dad." And so I don't refer to the Lord as "Yahweh," out of respect for him. As you can see, I will refer to him as "the Lord." Or I call him "Father." Sometimes I refer to him as "God."

• Group:  Advanced Member

On 4/12/2019 at 5:02 AM, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom!

A very worthy subject matter to raise indeed.

As you say, when we read "the LORD" in the Bible, that's where translators have overwritten the name YHWH, which is thought to be pronounced either Yahweh or Yahuah - the Father's personal name.

I'm aware of the name "Yahweh" .. it's not correct in that it has the letter "w" in it, which the Hebrew language doesn't have. So that name isn't authorized by God who spoke first in the Hebrew language. Personally a more correct version would be yahveh. The first part "yah" is in keeping with the biblical use, but the letter "e" is a guess rather than a certainty.

As for the name "Yehovah", it is derived from the letters y-h-v-h and the vowels e-o-a interwoven.. based on the later added vowel points that were independent of the original Hebrew language.

"The vowel points were added around A.D. 700-1000 because biblical Hebrew was becoming a completely dead language, even among the Hebrew Masoretes who were copying it. So they developed a vowel point system to know how to pronounce it."

Also, the letter j is derived from the German language that was adapted into the English language. I have on occasion used "Jehovah" but not regularly.

I'm not aware of "Yahuah". I suspect that it is less authorized than the first two suggested ways. As I understand it .. it is derived from substituting a "u" for the distinct Hebrew letter "v". So Y-H-V-H is made into y-h-u-h. Unfortunately the Hebrew language doesn't use a "u" in the tetragrammaton.

So, I don't doubt that Yahuah's origin comes from whatever particular group within those of "the sacred name" sect. The problem with their pronunciation is that every different group has a different pronunciation that they alone came up with.

I could come up with a name for God too by using the word "yahavah" which is a combination of the biblical word "yah" that refers to one portion of the tetragramaton.. and the word "havah" which is the Hebrew word translated in English to be love. So as a bible name though not likely grammatically or linguistically correct, nor do I suggest it to be biblically proper to adopt.. but just as an illustration of what the sacred name people do.. I, by my own invention, have come up with a "hebrew word, name for God" that is connectable to the biblical phrase "God is love". 

I'd assume that is loosely how Yahuah and all other pronunciations of the sacred name sects occurred.

Obviously the English folk are trying to make the Y-H-V-H into something pronounceable.

I'd rather follow the example of the Jews who did not give the pronunciation of the name given in Exod.3:14 of "Y-H-V-H". The High Priest had been given the pronunciation, to only use once per year when it was the turn of each chosen High Priest to perform their duties in the Temple. But that pronunciation was lost at the destruction of the Temple and the collapse of the priesthood knowledge.

The Jews state that Y-H-V-H is an ineffable name.. so any pronunciation that we Christians come up with is incorrect. And concerning the Most High God, I would not want to be incorrectly speaking His name.

Neither do the Jews. They refer to Y-H-V-H as Ha Shem which means "The Name". In doing honor to His Name, as well as in reverential fear, that is as close as they dare get.

I personally understand it to be Yahweh and, if anyone would like to read a study into this, I recommend the excellent free PDF study: The Sacred Name.

I would not recommend that to anyone. But to rather do a proper research on the sacred name sects themselves. What you find out should properly and wisely put you off of it.

When we read "God" in the Bible, it can covers up a multitude of many beautiful and revealing titles for Yahweh, but principally it is used to replaced the word Elohim. 

I must disagree, the name Y-H-V-H is not a replacement of the word Elohim. But rather the Hebrew words "Elohim" and "Y-H-V-H" both describe a different aspect of God.

Elohim refers to His creativity and His power, His wonder-workings. While Y-H-V-H refers to His loving-kindness to mankind, His desire to get close to His crowning achievement of creation.

[Anyone can look that up based on the words and phrases I've used since I'm not sure if my putting the actual link might be removed because I haven't first sought permission to use it here].

Elohim is a much deeper word than "God", because Elohim is technically a plural word, with El being the singular.  Therefore, we can witness the trinity referred to right at the beginning of Creation, in the original Hebrew! "In the beginning Elohim created to heavens and the earth".  This adequately reflects the Father, the Son and the Spirit being involved, rather than our poorly translated English version "..God created.. ", which causes confusion later when we learn the trinity was involved. 

I agree that the English word "God" leaves a lot to be discovered about the nature and character of God. But, that doesn't mean that the deeper information isn't available from many Biblically reputable sources.

There is a Bible called "The Names Of God Translation" which restores the original placement of Yahweh, Elohim, El, El Elyon, El Shaddai, etc back where there were originally found. 

And yet one needs to do research as to what each name means. However one born into the Hebrew language would learn it all at an early age.

This imbues the Word with a new sense of intimacy and revelation that we miss in English.  The translation itself isn't the best ever but, with regards to this matter, two thumbs up! Online version.  Book Version

To know His Name is to know Him more.  When you have time, run a search of some Bible Software or Bible website on what the Father says about His Name. It's a very big deal.  After all, when we give glory to His Name, it shouldn't be to the name "God" really, because that is simply a title. 

Actually the word "God" is not a proper title name in that it is so generic. It's meaning would have to rely on whatever connecting phrases and words that would surround it.

In the next life, we'll certainly will be praising Him with His Name, not "Lord" alone.  So why not get ahead start? :)

Would each of us be even using the English language in heaven? I hope not because it's so limited in conveying the vast knowledge and understanding of God. For all we know the language in heaven is Hebrew, so in that case, I'd rather get used to saying "HaShem". And in heaven I'll immediately know for sure, for sure the correct pronunciation of it.

Before anyone gets offended - Yes, He knows what we mean when we say God and Lord.  I'm sure He knows that ignorance has overtaken us because of our limited translations and teachings that we learn from.  But, what will you say now that you know?  

The sources of translations are a plethora of information that awaits those who desire to know. There are many biblically inspired teachers who teach it.

But none of those that I've consulted are from the sacred name sect... what they know is not correct.

----If you are easily offended, can't handle deep thoughts, or like to rant and rave in forums, spare us and stop reading here ---

Regardless if it is expected for me to stop reading here I have the same intention as at the beginning of reading this post that I continue to it's end.

It's interesting that one of the 10 commandments is concerning His name.  In Exodus 20:7, some think this is about speaking blasphemies, but that in itself doesn't really cut it. The original word for our English translation of "Vain" can mean emptiness or worthlessness.  So, another translation of Exodus 20:7 could be "You shall no bring the name of Yahweh to emptiness/worthlessness".  And hasn't this happened in the Church today? How often do you see His Name on banners or hear it mentioned in teachings and praise?  

Using God's name in emptiness or worthlessness would be to state that God is not capable of doing things today as He did in the Bible.. such as answering prayers, etc.

Another way of making God / His name empty.. is to use in vernacular the name "God" as the unbelievers do, though they don't believe that God exists. For instance, to say "thank god!" as merely an exclamation and not to actually speak thanksgiving to God for something He's actually done and giving praise in acknowledgment.

However, to say that the church practices using God's name in emptiness or worthlessness is simply not true.

Here is food for thought - Many times Israel worshipped Baal.  Baal can mean "husband" or "lord". It's technically a title rather than a name. Effectively, Israel were worshipping "the Lord", if you were to translate it.  Is that meant to be significant for us as an analogy?

The bible uses the word Baal where indicated that the Isaelites were not worshiping the Lord God. That pretty well clears up that. Therefore the implication that any Christian who worships the Lord, might be worshiping Baal is totally inaccurate.

The translators used the word Lord and LORD to refer to God. The translators of the writers of the new testament used Lord when speaking of Jesus Christ.

There is nothing to fear in using what titles the Bible uses when speaking of or to the Godhead.

The implication that there is something for Christians to shun is a strawman set up in order to make way for an unauthorized substitute.

I have heard a lot of "prophets" in my life giving prophecies as follows:  "The Lord says..." or "thus saith the Lord...".  But nowhere in Scripture does the Father give a prophecy in the name of "The Lord" in Hebrew (Adonai), unless it's accompanied with His personal name, Yahweh.  How then can we listen to such prophets who speak as if they were inspired by the KJV rather than YHWH? 

In the old testament God spoke through the prophets, in these last days God speaks through His Son. So in regard to prophesying it is correct to say "thus says the Lord"..  as written in the new testament concerning Jesus Christ our Lord.

So your point is in error. The way to test a prophecy is by comparing it with what the Word of God says. If the prophecy doesn't line up then it need not be regarded as inspired of God for prophecy is to edify, exhort, or comfort, and speaks to the heart of the hearer, or exposes a secret of someone's heart.

Whether the substitutionary word for Lord .. Yahweh, Yahveh, or Jehovah, or other, is not the way to judge the authority of a prophecy. There's nothing in scripture that states the use of the correctly pronounced name is the way to judge prophecy.

I might be wrong and they might be genuine.  However, I struggle to believe that the unchanging Yahweh would stop speaking in His name at the tail-end of history.  It reminds me of when Yahweh says, in Jeremiah 23:27 "They think the dreams they tell one another will make my people forget my name, just as their ancestors forgot my name through Baal worship."

It's a controversial view point I know.

According to Joel, at the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon all flesh (which occurred on the day of Pentecost Acts 2) Joel said that ".. old men would dream dreams and young men would see visions." Both are valid and therefore are not those of Jer.23:27. In the case of that Bible reference.. it speaks of those ungodly dreamers.. pagans, who prophecy falsehood and delusion (Jer.23:26).. such are they who make God's people forget His character and nature. That God is Truth and Righteous.

Again, the use of that scripture cannot be applied concerning Christians who use God and Lord, and don't use "Yahweh", "Jehovah", or other.

As for me, l find great peace, protection and pleasure in His Name.

The biblical word Lord, or LORD, or the Jewish word HaShem.. or even to use Jehovah as some bibles have, is of great peace and protection for any Christian.

The continuation of your strawman implication that all Christians who don't use Yahuah are, as you imply unknowingly worshiping Baal.. is ludicrous. There is no scripture gives that indication at all, the original language has been translated correctly. When it says that the people rightly and fearfully worship God, or LORD, or Lord.. the text does not indicate that it's Baal.

I still use titles like God, Elohim and the Lord when speaking with brothers and sisters on occasion, to not sidetrack or distract from their question or topic.  A lot of believers are still in ignorance on the matter, as I once was, so I understand. 

I'd say that you were in right worship of God but now in using Yahuah, there is an uncertainty there that you have accepted as right because you believed the strawman that was presented to you. They said to you "believe what we tell is right because what you believe isn't right."

That is what you are saying now.. but it's not right as I have shown. And as any reputable studious Christian of the Bible or Hebrew Bible scholar, etymologist, linguist will show.

Ultimately they know who I mean, I know who I mean, and Yahweh knows who I mean.  However, in my personal walk, when I pray or give praise, I exalt the name Yahweh.  HalleluYah not HalleluLord.

The word "halleluyah" is a transliteration made up of "hallelu" which means praise, and "yah" which means LORD. 

Writing it as a translation "halleluLord" is incorrect. So your rendition is not valid. The linguists wouldn't do what you did because it wouldn't be linguistically correct.

If you have any questions on the Name, feel free to let me know.  I studied it for quite a few years so I may be of help to you.  It's a fascinating topic I still love researching.

Love & Shalom

Thanks but it wouldn't be wise to accept your help.

2 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I don't refer to my dad as "Elbert" - I refer to him as "dad." And so I don't refer to the Lord as "Yahweh," out of respect for him. As you can see, I will refer to him as "the Lord." Or I call him "Father." Sometimes I refer to him as "God."

I know what you mean. I do the same.

Thank you for your comment.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/12/2019 at 2:25 PM, other one said:

the question you should be asking is what do the words in Greek and Hebrew that are translated God/god mean to those that were being written to at the time.....

I did take the time to look that up on Bible Tools places. God is the English of Elohim. LORD is the English of Y-H-V-H. In some places god(s) is also Elohim.

It's not necessarily the original language of the names of God that I'm looking for. It's the limiting English word for God that I'm somewhat frustrated about. So in the O.P. I'm expressing my desire to expand on it.

And therefore requesting from Christians on this forum any input that they would have.

Thanks for your comment.

• Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

On 4/12/2019 at 12:41 AM, Joulre2abba said:

To me the word "God" is a generic replacement word as a way to address the Creator of the heavens and the earth.. the entire universe and all that it consists of.

In some bibles the word "God" is sometimes substituted for the Hebrew word Y-H-V-H. Which is said to be unpronounceable. In some bibles the word LORD is used in replacement of the tetragrammaton. Research says that the Hebrew gematria of Y-H-V-H has the number value of #26.. which is also the same number value of the Hebrew word havah.. which translates to love.

I do wonder if the apostle John intended to convey that when he wrote "God is love".

I've researched and discovered that the word "God" has it's origins in Germany. The word "good" is by the Germans pronounced "gauht", or was it goht"..?

So, if I was to say "grace" as I'd been taught, before we eat, I'd say "God is good.." But to the German I might as well be saying "gauht is goht".

Anyway I'm looking for a way to address the significant God in significance. Like maybe "God- the Source of all blessings."

-------

What are your thoughts?

From the beginning man has been as a blind individual groping around in permanent darkness in spiritual matters like who and what is God.

How much more so since the fall of man.

From earliest days after the fall man supposed God to be just about anything inexplicable like lightning, the stars, the planets, wind, etc.

The reply from heaven, "No, bigger."

Man encountered angelic beings (both good and bad) supposing them to be Gods.

The reply from heaven, "No, bigger."

To this day we are discovering how vast is the universe God created...

No, much bigger.

And yet he is in the still small voice.

1 Kings 19:11–13 (NIV84)
11 The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake.
12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.
13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Joulre2abba said:

Thanks but it wouldn't be wise to accept your help.

Wow, what a response to someone who was just answering your question!  I don't think there was any part of my reply that you didn't tear up.  Did I upset you in some way?

From reading your comments, it seems like you know everything concerning the Name, which must feel great. Although, it seems like you still have some big gaps in your knowledge, like me. 

But then why ask us "what are you thoughts?" if you then want to "correct" people's thoughts?

If you just want to share your knowledge, then go ahead. No one's stopping you, praise Yahweh. But you don't need to use a veiled rhetoric or someone else as a springboard to share. 

Anyway, I apologise for wasting your time with my thoughts. I didn't realise the post was going to be dissected on trial. Had I known, I wouldn't have replied at all, because such methods are not the fruit of the Spirit. In so doing, you even managed to confuse yourself, thinking I say Yahuah or even HalleluLord! No, my friend - read it closely before you make such statements

Therefore, I thank you for your responses, but I will not reply to any one of your points. I'm sure my reply wouldn't be accepted and torn apart again with confusion and ingratitude. 

However, if anyone else is interested in knowing the answers to the poster's comments on my post, feel free to PM me. 

Edited by Tzephanyahu

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

8 hours ago, Joulre2abba said:

I did take the time to look that up on Bible Tools places. God is the English of Elohim. LORD is the English of Y-H-V-H. In some places god(s) is also Elohim.

It's not necessarily the original language of the names of God that I'm looking for. It's the limiting English word for God that I'm somewhat frustrated about. So in the O.P. I'm expressing my desire to expand on it.

And therefore requesting from Christians on this forum any input that they would have.

Thanks for your comment.

I share your frustration on the changing the words....   I do believe that is not even done for academic reasons but financial ones to be able to rewrite a bible and get it copywrited…   a percentage of the words have to be different and there were a whole bunch of "Lord/lord/lords" changed...      It would be the same as referring to me as "Nobody" instead of Sam  (can't call me lord for that doesn't fit my place in the universe).   However since I do understand who they are talking about it doesn't change the message of the Book...…    but it is still aggravating.

• Thumbs Up 1