blessed457

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Passover fell on a Wednesday in 31ad, the year of Jesus' crucifixion. Thursday was an annual Sabbath, the first Holy Day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Jesus was buried just before sunset on Wednesday afternoon, and was in the tomb Wednesday night, Thursday, Thursday night, Friday, Friday night, and Saturday—three days and three nights, just as He promised. He was resurrected just before sunset on Saturday afternoon, exactly 72 hours after His burial. On Sunday morning, when the women came at dawn to embalm His body, He was already gone. They did not see the resurrection; they saw an empty tomb, and were told by an angel that He had risen just as He said He would.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.72

I agree with your math but be prepared for the fallout from it, some in this forum can be very kind and knowledgeable and are willing to discuss, some however, become extremely defensive and adamant.  What do you celebrate? Do you celebrate Easter on another day or do you disagree with the symbolism and origin as well as the math? Of course even if we ignore what year, what day, etc.... As many believe he died on a Friday, it is very difficult to fit 3 days and 3 nights into Sunday, though some feel that in the Hebrew that perhaps it meant part of each, though I am not a proponent of that.  Either way the math still is difficult to ignore. However most subjects when discussed when you are close to the observance is better held for another time. Discuss Easter with me in July and discuss Christmas in March...  if you see the wisdom in this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

2 hours ago, blessed457 said:

Passover fell on a Wednesday in 31ad, the year of Jesus' crucifixion. Thursday was an annual Sabbath, the first Holy Day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Jesus was buried just before sunset on Wednesday afternoon, and was in the tomb Wednesday night, Thursday, Thursday night, Friday, Friday night, and Saturday—three days and three nights, just as He promised. He was resurrected just before sunset on Saturday afternoon, exactly 72 hours after His burial. On Sunday morning, when the women came at dawn to embalm His body, He was already gone. They did not see the resurrection; they saw an empty tomb, and were told by an angel that He had risen just as He said He would.

It's sort of hard to celebrate Easter any day but Sunday, if you are working Monday through Saturday, like many are required to do.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, blessed457 said:

Honestly, we should be "celebrating" [living out with joy] the resurrection of Jesus Christ every single day.

What day was he resurrected?  I can't say with 100% certainty.  I hear plausible cases for more than one day.

I celebrate with other believers on Sunday. Why? That's when my church meets as a body of believers.  On Sundays.

You say you don't celebrate Christ's resurrection on Sunday.  Does this mean you don't unite with fellow believers on that particular day?  Which day do you celebrate it on?  [There's no wrong answer on that, I'm just curious.]  With whom do you celebrate it?

• Loved it! 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

On 4/12/2019 at 8:16 AM, Tigger56 said:

it is very difficult to fit 3 days and 3 nights into Sunday, though some feel that in the Hebrew that perhaps it meant part of each, though I am not a proponent of that.  Either way the math still is difficult to ignore.

Shalom Tigger,

Here is a short video which cleverly sketches out the timeline with the gospel accounts:

As for me personally, I won't be celebrating easter at all!  

It's a shame many Christians are still eager to buy eggs and keep this tradition and yet ignore the Feast of Passover.  The symbolism in the Passover is incredibly significant and fruitful.   

Most believers realise by now where the name "Easter" comes from and the story behind the egg.  Still, I have driven past many churches who still proclaiming it with banners and fanfare.  I know many atheists even mock Christians for this hypocrisy and it keeps them away from the faith. They object "Christians follow pagan practices, they're just a copy of older religions".  Dear me.  What a counter-productive witness easter has become in this regard. 

Love & Shalom 

Edited by Steve_S
Removed youtube link. Please post video links in the appropriate video forum (https://www.worthychristianforums.com/forum/144-videos/).
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.72

15 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom Tigger,

Here is a short video which cleverly sketches out the timeline with the gospel accounts: LINK

As for me personally, I won't be celebrating easter at all!  

It's a shame many Christians are still eager to buy eggs and keep this tradition and yet ignore the Feast of Passover.  The symbolism in the Passover is incredibly significant and fruitful.   

Most believers realise by now where the name "Easter" comes from and the story behind the egg.  Still, I have driven past many churches who still proclaiming it with banners and fanfare.  I know many atheists even mock Christians for this hypocrisy and it keeps them away from the faith. They object "Christians follow pagan practices, they're just a copy of older religions".  Dear me.  What a counter-productive witness easter has become in this regard. 

Love & Shalom 

It is called syncretism, where much has been blended in to make today's " mainstream Christianity", many have embraced many pagan practices feeling that as long as you add Christian labels that it is okay.  I am not a proponent of this but It happens over time similar to what the military calls the "drift factor" which is a term for long range missiles which need course corrections over long distances. Did you know that at one point in American history that Christmas was banned from being observed? Of course, lawyers were banned as well (oh, how we have fallen!) 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

It's sort of hard to celebrate Easter any day but Sunday, if you are working Monday through Saturday, like many are required to do.

I understand your dilemma trust me I do, that is why I was always attracted to Seven day Adventist because they got it right, Saturday our known day. That's when I worship with them that day only.

1 hour ago, Tigger56 said:

It is called syncretism, where much has been blended in to make today's " mainstream Christianity", many have embraced many pagan practices feeling that as long as you add Christian labels that it is okay.  I am not a proponent of this but It happens over time similar to what the military calls the "drift factor" which is a term for long range missiles which need course corrections over long distances. Did you know that at one point in American history that Christmas was banned from being observed? Of course, lawyers were banned as well (oh, how we have fallen!) 

You are correct Christians sadly practice pagan concepts knowingly or not and are slow to change that bad habit. None of the trappings associated with the pagan Easter has one biblical connotation you can hang your hat on, its simply traditional follow the leader-misguided one.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

God is not really concerned about what day you celebrate the resurrection.

This is something that people worry about.

Its the same with ....>"well, Jesus was probably born in................September.....so, why do we follow the "tradition" of celebrating Jesus's BD in Dec. ????????

And once again, God is yawning.   As the reality is, what day, what month, has no bearing, has no meaning, (in Eternity) as all that matters is that Jesus was Born, Died, and Lives.

So, what a good idea might be, is to have a chocolate bunny on "Easter", and share it with your kids.

Bake a cake on December 25th, and sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus as you pass out the cake.

Edited by Behold
  • Thumbs Up 2