Tigger56

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  0

An inquisitor was an official (usually with judicial or investigative functions) in an Inquisition; an organization or program intended to eliminate heresy and other things contrary to the doctrine or teachings of the Catholic faith. Literally, an inquisitor is one who "searches out" or "inquires" (Latin inquirere < quaerere, "to seek").

I would like to share with you a brief sermon given to a small church in France from an inquisitor who left it behind to serve as a priest to a small community several centuries ago....There are many lessons within that we can also ponder and learn from. There have been many atrocities done in history in the name of religion and I know there will be more for man fails to ever learn from history but continually repeats it. People like to believe we are more "civilized" in today's world, but civilization is a thin facade easily shattered.

‘Dear friends, I stand before you this day in this small church and I feel such sadness in my heart. I also feel great love for each of you, for over the last twenty years you have become as family to me. I came to your town as a priest and you accepted me and you have been kind and you have supported me in our quiet place of the world. I am now old and I know that death shall soon come unto me. When I was young I was most zealous of the faith and I rose within the priestly order. I became an inquisitor, and though my intentions were just, I was involved in acts of cruelty and torture against brothers of the faith. In my zeal to fight heresy I became blind to compassion and mercy. I did not take human life but I am guilty of bringing persecution and suffering upon those whom I felt were heretics and against those who did not regard the sanctity of the church as I. In my youth I was foolish. In the name of Jesus there have been crusades and many have died for the furtherance of the gospel. I have come to understand that we shall convert more lost souls to the faith with acts of love and kindness than with the sword. In my travels I have seen many human cruelties and evils of the heart. I have seen good men and women beaten and tortured because they expressed their faith differently than I. I also persecuted many who serve the same God and the same Lord but they choose to worship apart from our church. Are we so certain that Jesus does not love them as well? Does he hear the prayers of all righteous men or just the prayers of those of us who follow this path? I desire to speak to you about the power of forgiveness. This shall be the last message that I give before you, and I hope my words will melt the judgmental hearts that still beat within many of you.

I have seen men tortured who cried out for mercy, but not for my mercy, but for the mercy of Jesus. They prayed to the same Lord and the same God. One woman was thought to be involved in witchery and dark practices so she was imprisoned and given little food. I was there and she was beaten but she refused to admit that she was of darkness. She sang praises and prayed unto the Lord while she was beaten. The man who punished her seemed to enjoy her suffering and I was moved in my heart. I remembered how Jesus told us that there are blessings even when we give a cup of water unto one of his little ones. I stopped her beating and knelt and gave her a cup of water. She looked into my eyes and spoke words as did Jesus and the martyr Stephen. She told me that she forgave me and asked Jesus to forgive me and to not lay my sin to my charge. Would one of darkness show such love and goodness? I left my role as inquisitor and took a place in a small town and searched for answers to the questions that tormented me. Is Jesus only in one church or does he dwell within the hearts of men? I sought forgiveness for all of the acts of cruelty and I repented of my sins against those who love him.

Friends you must be kind and gentle and have hearts of love. We must walk in purity and holiness. When Jesus was near death he did not ask for forgiveness of his sin. He asked his Father to forgive those who crucified him. Stephen did not speak words of repentance, he asked Jesus not to lay their sin against their charge. I have been at the bedside of many Christians when they were nigh unto death and most were seeking absolution and forgiveness in order to reach heaven. Live a life of forgiveness and walk in holiness. When you are persecuted for your faith seek forgiveness for those who persecute you, and live life so you do not fear death and doubt your heavenly reward. I thank God for that dear woman so many years ago who forgave me for my sinful action. Live a life of goodness and forgive those who trespass against you.’

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

Thank you for that. I recall reading some years ago of a Jesuit priest who was an inquisitor and resigned in disgust. He commented that, even if the accused confessed, they still were not sure of their guilt because the tortures were so severe that "even the Pope would confess to stop the pain and execution would be a relief". The inquisitors being priests themselves were not permitted to draw blood so they used fire. They could also turn a victim over to secular authorities for torture that did draw blood. I wonder if this could be the same person. You might be interested in a documentary film by the National Film Board of Canada entitled "The Burning Times". It is available free online at ---    https://www.nfb.ca/film/burning_times/