Is yoga demonic???

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

is Yoga the practice of stretching in certain poses for fitness demonic???  I have read 2 articles from a Christian perspective saying it is,  the articles said that some Christians have used the stretching workouts to compromise it with Christianity by playing Christian music & saying that you can do Yoga with Christian terms,  what does everyone think???  should Christians do Yoga???

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Should a christain worship his or her God by means of pagan practice .   

Should a Christian partake of evil and call it good , or make the ways of the pagans into a way to worship his or her GOD .

God says otherwise .     NO YOGA .     

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, ayin jade said:

In my opinion, a Christian should not do yoga, not even the so called Christian yoga. It has its origins in eastern mysticism and is meant to ....

The original context of yoga was spiritual development practices to train the body and mind to self observe and become aware of their own nature. The purposes of yoga were to cultivate discernment, awareness, self-regulation and higher consciousness in the individual.

So how can a Christian participate in this?

Sister you are dearly loved and still prayed for from many .

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, ayin jade said:

In my opinion, a Christian should not do yoga, not even the so called Christian yoga. It has its origins in eastern mysticism and is meant to ....

The original context of yoga was spiritual development practices to train the body and mind to self observe and become aware of their own nature. The purposes of yoga were to cultivate discernment, awareness, self-regulation and higher consciousness in the individual.

So how can a Christian participate in this?

Ayin, for the sake of those who come by and don't participate but have questions, I need to play the Devils advocate for a bit.....     you know my background and should know my stand on this but there are some questions I'd like to be seen answered.

First off what is wrong with cultivating discernment, awareness, self-regulation and a higher consciousness if one is attuned to the Holy Spirit?

I'm told that Yoga is a simple tool to accomplish things much like a screw driver, a car or whatever.....   it can be used for good or evil.

Is there scripture telling us not to use yoga if we are not contacting the dark side...

Nuclear Fission is a tool that was created for bad things and some of us even say evil.....   but it is also used for good to make our power.

Those people coming by need to see why they should or should not participate in the exercise part of this.  

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

5 hours ago, shortangel said:

is Yoga the practice of stretching in certain poses for fitness demonic???  I have read 2 articles from a Christian perspective saying it is,  the articles said that some Christians have used the stretching workouts to compromise it with Christianity by playing Christian music & saying that you can do Yoga with Christian terms,  what does everyone think???  should Christians do Yoga???

I don't believe exercise in itself is a sin. I'm not sure what goes on in the minds of people doing yoga.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,382
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

It's an interesting topic. Yoga as we understand it is quite different from how a Hindu perceives it. In its original form the term yoga encompasses a variety of forms and practices and actually isn't all that related to stretching. Things like proper action (proper action from the Hindu perspective), reflection and meditation, and religious devotion are pretty common paths of yoga. It wouldn't be hard to find some common ground with Christianity in there, and I say that for the benefit of Christians who end up interacting with people from a Hindu background. That knowledge can be a point for witnessing. I'd say the problems with yoga as we have it here in the west are as follows.

1) Regardless of the form we have it here in the west, yoga's roots stem from spiritual practices and beliefs that aren't Christianity.

2) Purely from a physical perspective some of the things like control over breathing have been used to achieve an altered state of consciousness, which is typically believed to leave one open to demonic influence. One of the purposes of yoga is to awaken "kundalini", or "serpent energy". Some of the side effects attributed to succeeding at that are scary and not good at all.

Now while I do think that the stretches, relaxation, and so on taken on their own, or even with added Christian elements, are probably safe, I also think it's very similar to eating food sacrificed to idols. Scripture had this to say on that topic in 1 Corinthians 8:4-13.

"So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that “An idol is nothing at all in the world” and that “There is no God but one.” For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”),  yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live. But not everyone possesses this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat sacrificial food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do. Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol’s temple, won’t that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols? So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. When you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall."

1 Thessalonians 5:22 also tells us to abstain from even the appearance of evil. So I'd say it's not about whether or not a given individual Christian can discern the good and safe elements of yoga from the bad and practice them. It's about what a Christian practicing yoga says to other Christians and to the world. It wouldn't be difficult at all to draw a comparison between a watered down yoga and things like gateway drugs that are relatively mild but ultimately entice people to try more destructive substances.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

anorangecat interesting point

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Yoga takes a person away from God. A person focuses on themselves instead. It is not advisable for a born again Christian to practice Yoga. But many "Christians" would disagree. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1